Vintage milestone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chaplain11

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I have a big one checked off of my list: finishing the 1968 Topps set! I have been working on this one for the better part of a decade. This set is EX+ or better, so a good mid-grade set. It is nice to put a vintage set to bed. This is my first one prior to 1974 that I did not buy in its entirety.

Dewayne

Thanks guys. It is a great feeling for sure. As far as a full Topps run goes I am at least 40% or greater on every set from 56-67 & 69-72. The next closest I am to completing is a battle between the 1960 and 1970 sets. The 63 set is just behind that with the rest up in the air.

Dewayne

Congrats. The entire sets are probably a fun thing to view as a whole, but since I have the big Topps book (51-85 + 86 & 87 updates) and can see any card at any time, plus I can't bring myself to care about or pay for commons and especially high number commons, I'll have to settle for the sets I bought complete as a kid and my singles. My equal would be Dodger team sets perhaps, but I couldn't actually tell you where i stand there. I know for sure I am missing the bulk of the 52 High numbers and the 1963 Ken McMullen RC and from there maybe a few more here and there...

Dewayne-
Congratulations! That is definitely a collecting milestone to be proud of.

Since you brought up that this is the first set you have completed since 1974 and have bought others, I have a quick question. Do you think overall that it cost you more to collect the 1968 set than it would have to find a similar set and buy it? Im guessing it costs more to collect it. Is it worth it? I ask because a few years ago I completed a 1972 set and when I sat down and figured out what I spent on that set, it floored me. So much so that I later put together the money to just buy the 1971 set. The 1971 set is the only vintage set (to date) that I simply bought. To be honest, it feels a little like I cheated and I hardly ever look at the 1971 set, but always look at my 1972. I'm getting ready to start (or buy) the 1970 set, the last in the line I'm looking to add to my collection. I guess my question really is, is the journey worth the extra cash?

Thanks for your input,
Marvin