BSL Major Change: All Owners read and check in!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjay101

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
This has been in the works for a week or so now, but I have fully tested it and it is ready for implementation. It was not the first option, but Nick and I feel at this point it is the best option available to keep a viable and active league moving forward.

1. There will be a CONTRACTION of teams from 30 to 28.

-The Astros and the Angels are getting the axe.
-David (current Angels GM) will be moving to the Boston Red Sox effective immediately (well, once Nick gets him switched over)
-The Indians will remain open for a new owner, so please remain diligent finding one! I originally planned on going down to 26 teams, but there were major issues with that I did not have the time to consider.

2, The divisions will be as follows:

AL East
Same

AL Cen
Same

AL West
OAK
SEA
TEX
________? First volunteer to move from the NL West. If no volunteer, Nick will randomly select an NL West team to move. Keep in mind, you gain a DH, but will play in a more hitter friendly league. The NL West has 5 teams, and to balance, we need one to move here. Keep in mind West to West also makes most sense geographically.

NL East
Same

NL Central
STL
CHN
PIT
MIL
CIN
(Astros removed)

NL West
Same, minus whichever team volunteers or is reassigned to AL West.

3. The schedule will remain 162 games, with interleague play. The amount of interleague may change a bit, but it is tested and is working after MUCH work. The playoff setup will remain the same, as well as drafts, allstar games, spring, etc.

4. There will be a contraction draft involving the rostered players from the Angels and Astros.

Contraction Draft:

1. Draft order will be set in the form of a lottery.
a. Teams will be ranked 1-28 based on reg season win % over last two seasons, lowest win% gets 28 tickets, highest gets 1.
b. Teams will be ranked 1-28 based on total payroll over last two seasons, lowest payroll gets 28 tickets, highest gets 1.
c. The max amount of lottery tickets is 56**, minimum is 2 for any given team.
d. Tickets will be inserted into hat by me, drawn at random by Heath (St Louis) which will determine the order 1 to 28.

Other IMPORTANT draft issues!

1. Any cash on hand for the two remaining teams will disappear.

2. As a contraction draft 'bonus' all teams will receive 5 million, whether picking first or last, to help pay for players or to build up savings if minor league players are selected.

3. The draft will take place the day AFTER players file for free agency. I will post a SPECIFIC list of players available, as well as their salary for the following year.

Before the draft takes place, any player on these teams with a team or mutual option will be declined and will be a free agent, hence not available for the contraction draft. The players available for arbitration will be assigned new contracts by the computer and will be draftable. All minor league players will be draftable.

4. I will also post a SPECIFIC list of what amount each team EXACTLY have to spend on the draft (you will not be able to spend more than 10 million over your available owner budget regardless of cash on hand, so if your owner offers you 120 million budget and you're at 125 before the draft, you will have 5 million 'capped' spending and will be unable to select players making more than that) There are only a handful of very expensive players on these rosters, so there should not be a major issue regarding money. The most expensive is Dan Reed at 18 some mil on Houston, then 11 some mil for the next player on the Angels. If you are a cash negative team, I would HIGHLY advise taking a minor league player, hoping I don't have to explain why. Teams CAN elect not to select a player. The draft will continue until either all players have been drafted from eligible list or all teams have passed on further picks. Any remaining players will be released to the free agent pool.

5. Any MLB players drafted MUST go on your 40 man roster. Therefore, after the draft, you will have to make room before they will be reassigned to your roster. Any minor league players will be transferred to the minor leagues.

A lot more info and clarifications to come I'm sure, but you get the general idea. Please let me know comments, concerns, etc.

EDIT 1: David will also get a reset on Boston's finances (given they are nearly 10 mil in the red) like any new owner would. Therefore, he will keep the payroll and budget assigned, but will have $15 million in the green for startup cash (plus the 5 that all franchises will receive before the contraction draft)
EDIT 2: ** Changes from 42 to 56 as I apparently cannot add 28+28.

Last edited:
Great idea hopefully the issues now are resolved and BSL will be full of active owners.
Sounds like you guys put a lot of time and effort in this. On a side note Mets will be drafting Augusto Martinez.

Last edited:
Great idea hopefully the issues now are resolved and BSL will be full of active owners.
Sounds like you guys put a lot of time and effort in this. On a side not Mets will be drafting Augusto Martinez.

I have a feeling that might be the consensus whomever is in that slot, assuming they can afford him.

PAYROLL DRAFT LOTTERY TICKETS

Pittsburgh gets 28 entries. Tampa gets 1 entry. Win% tickets coming.

PIT
WSH
STL
SF
CLE
LAD
BOS
ATL
SD
ARZ
MIN
MIL
BAL
MIA
CIN
COL
DET
NYM
OAK
CHN
NYY
TOR
TEX
PHI
CHW
KC
SEA
TB

WIN% Lottery Tickets

Colorado and Texas tied, so tickets are assigned as follows (both get 14 tickets for the highest spot)

BOS28
MIN27
LAD26
ARZ25
CLE24
DET23
PIT22
SEA21
PHI20
MIA19
WSH18
MIL17
ATL16
NYM15
COL14
TEX14
CHN12
CHW11
TOR10
NYY9
STL8
BAL7
TB6
SD5
SF4
CIN3
KC2
OAK1

Total Lottery Ticket entries for each team!

50 BOS
50 PIT
49 LAD
48 CLE
45 MIN
45 WSH
44 ARZ
37 ATL
35 DET
34 MIA
34 MIL
34 STL
29 SF
27 COL
26 NYM
25 PHI
25 SD
23 SEA
23 BAL
21 CHN
20 TEX
17 TOR
17 NYY
17 CIN
15 CHW
11 OAK
7 TB
5 KC

You can determine your chance for the top pick by taking your number of tickets divided by 813, in which my chance is 0.006%! Augusto Martinez, pack your bags!

Cory, your chances are better than that, as the 7 top teams are capped at 42 tickets you said. So that will increase your odds (and mine), lol.

50 BOS
50 PIT
49 LAD
48 CLE
45 MIN
45 WSH
44 ARZ
37 ATL
35 DET
34 MIA
34 MIL
34 STL
29 SF
27 COL
26 NYM
25 PHI
25 SD
23 SEA
23 BAL
21 CHN
20 TEX
17 TOR
17 NYY
17 CIN
15 CHW
11 OAK
7 TB
5 KC

You can determine your chance for the top pick by taking your number of tickets divided by 813, in which my chance is 0.006%! Augusto Martinez, pack your bags!

Tony - I meant the cap was 28+28=56. How in the name of ___ I came up with 42 on that post is beside me.

looking at this list you would think I was one of the good teams....I just spend alot

50 BOS
50 PIT
49 LAD
48 CLE
45 MIN
45 WSH
44 ARZ
37 ATL
35 DET
34 MIA
34 MIL
34 STL
29 SF
27 COL
26 NYM
25 PHI
25 SD
23 SEA
23 BAL
21 CHN
20 TEX
17 TOR
17 NYY
17 CIN
15 CHW
11 OAK
7 TB
5 KC

Yankees have read and understood. Welcome to the AL East, David!

Steph

Okay, am I the only one that doesn't really care for this idea? I think you're taking away from the "realness" of the game by axing two teams.

Also (don't take offense to this David, just curious) but why do the Angels get to switch to the Red Sox? For that matter why would someone want the Red Sox over the Angels currently?

So now some great players from the Astros and Angels will get to be drafted from a lottery pool, further messing with the system. Against the odds some strong team is going to get a high pick and the talent rich get richer, if they can afford it.

I'm not crapping over all the work this must have taken to figure out, just a little surprised this wasn't maybe brought up for discussion or a vote first. When I realized we needed new owners quickly I have been trying real hard to recruit....I only started that 5 days ago!

Okay, am I the only one that doesn't really care for this idea? I think you're taking away from the "realness" of the game by axing two teams.

Also (don't take offense to this David, just curious) but why do the Angels get to switch to the Red Sox? For that matter why would someone want the Red Sox over the Angels currently?

So now some great players from the Astros and Angels will get to be drafted from a lottery pool, further messing with the system. Against the odds some strong team is going to get a high pick and the talent rich get richer, if they can afford it.

I'm not crapping over all the work this must have taken to figure out, just a little surprised this wasn't maybe brought up for discussion or a vote first. When I realized we needed new owners quickly I have been trying real hard to recruit....I only started that 5 days ago!

I completely was against this idea until we ran over a full season with no new owners. We have had multiple "maybes" and "I'd like to, buts..." It's not like I didn't prod many times that filling the empty spots was a necessity at some point. I have contacted many, many people. The fact you have to pay a whopping 20 bucks, as well as the feeling they get they will be 'behind the curve' keeps a lot of people away.

David was offered a switch because Boston was originally a team slated for the chopping block, plus he had considered leaving and was wanting a change of scenery. I wasn't fully open to owners switching teams, even to open ones, but I figured if any sort of realism is going to stick in the league, the Red Sox have got to stick around. Situations like this cannot work perfectly, I agree with that. He had been talking of leaving, and we need to keep the owners we have, we have lost enough already.

It also happened that I needed 5/5/4 from east to west on divisions for the schedule I found to work out. If we hacked Boston, we would have had to move a AL West team to the east regardless. Not something I'm for, as I would like to attempt to keep them geographically sound.

I can't argue that the lottery system has it's chances for failure, however I had to balance both low payroll AND low win percentage teams over more than one year's time. This was the best option I came up with that provided everyone some amount of shot at talent. If anything, it should be interesting to see how the draft order pans out. My biggest fear is one of the low market, low win% teams can't afford the player that they want (or need). Hence, the bonus payout to everyone.

Lastly, we STILL need an owner for Cleveland. It's a decent team, but obviously plays in a real competitive division. We will see how long it takes to fill that one.