Potential Hall Of Famers by position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vman1111

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Being bored at work, I have spent some time looking over potential Hall Of Famers. I have broke them down by position starting with catchers. I looked at over all stats, and ratings history. I really only see 2 current catchers that have a shot. Not to say that there aren't more coming up or playing now that will get there eventually, they just need more time in(like B Possey).

C Santana - 203 HRs/575 RBIs/.279 AVG. While Carlos is only 30 and he has the potential to increase his numbers, he would need to average 30 HRs until he is 40 to hit 500. With the way ratings drop, not sure if he will be able to but I wouldn't be suprised.

J Mauer - sitting at 1453 hits with only 709 Ks and 679 RBIs. Career .293 hitter with a WAR of 37.1. At the age of 33 can he continue? I think most of the typical HoF numbers are just out of reach. He would need to average 140 hits for the next 11 years(age 44) to get to 3000.

What are your thoughts?

I don't think either of the guys you listed will make it. Most guys when they turn 34/35 their rating takes a hit.

Just my thoughts,

Ron

Of the two, I think Santana has a better shot, being 3 years younger to accumulative necessary stats. Not to mention his career was is already 37.0, which is only 0.1 lower than Mauer, 3 years older.

I think Pujols might be the first inductee, but that is just speculation.

Obviously, Jason Sexson is total lock, even if he retired two years ago.

I think Santana has a better shot than Mauer. Seems like Mauer gets hurt quite a bit and he's a few years older than Santana so I'm not sure he'll make it. Santana already has made 6 all-star teams so if he can keep up the production for 5-6 more years, maybe there's a good chance for him.

In looking at some of my better players, I think I only have one player with a decent chance - Grady Sizemore. He's put up 10 strong years and maybe can hold on for 3-4 more decent years of production. I'm thinking he'll reach 400 HR, 200 SB, 1000+ Runs and RBI. He has two gold gloves, four all-star games, and three WS rings. Biggest knock against him is that he doesn't have any MVP awards so I'm not sure if he's really HOF-worthy.

That's probably the best case that I can make for any current/former Reds. I've had some good players, but they haven't been able to sustain success for 8-10 years. Guys like Arnie Wright, Dan Nelson, Ambrose Fullerton, Matt Cain were good for a while, but then tailed off.

Eric

Something else to consider, Mauer is a FA currently and a Type A one at that. What if nobody signs him and sits out a half season until the draft? He will lose some playing time in that case.

All very good points, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for guys. I will work on the next position tonight and post it by morning. Thanks

Moving to Closer, LOL, Christophe LeBorgne, 34, 291 saves, 2.4 lifetime ERA, 1050 K in 840 IP. Looks like a lock to me. I know there are other great closers out there. What do you guys have?

I would think that Oakland's CL, Xian-yao Jiang would be a lock. He is the current BSL All-Time Saves leader. He is 32 with 393 career saves, 2.70 ERA, a 0.99 WHIP, and 860 Ks in 699 innings. Also has 47 career wins and 3 World Series rings while playing for 1 team. What surprises me though, not 1 single All-Star Team. I would hope that he is a lock for the Hall some day.

Last edited:
I would think that Oakland's CL, Xian-yao Jiang would be a lock. He is the current BSL All-Time Saves leader. He is 32 with 393 career saves, 2.70 ERA, a 0.99 WHIP, and 860 Ks in 699 innings. Also has 47 career wins and 3 World Series rings while playing for 1 team. What surprises me though, not 1 single All-Star Team. I would hope that he is a lock for the Hall some day.

Not just a lock but likely a first ballot

I'm not mentioning any of my sprouts in this conversation because I'm afraid of a jinx, but there's a couple of guys on my squad who I believe could make the HOF when all is said and done :D

Last edited:
Moving to Closer, LOL, Christophe LeBorgne, 34, 291 saves, 2.4 lifetime ERA, 1050 K in 840 IP. Looks like a lock to me. I know there are other great closers out there. What do you guys have?

I have CL James Gaff with similar numbers. A 2.89 ERA, closing in on 1,000 K's, three WS rings, and a Cy Young award. Strangely, no all-star game appearances. I think there must be better closers out there so Gaff probably won't make it. I'm guessing closers might have a tougher time getting in, too. Maybe just the top 2-3 guys like Jiang in OAK?

Eric

My closer Gustavo "Two Shoes" Lopez known for wearing one blue shoe and one orange shoe while pitching for the Mets.
Career Standings
50 Wins
347 Saves
2.34 ERA
.97 WHIP
950 K's in 773 Innings
No All star selection or Rings.
I would say he would need 4 more years of 40 saves a year to reach the 500 club however that would make him 38 and could be a stretch.