Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to lookin4deals36's ebay items

Thumbs up Mr. Smith wants Opening Day to be a National Holiday!!

Ozzie Smith wants Opening Day to be made a National Holiday. Sign the petition on the Budweiser website & make your voice heard.

P.S. You need to create a WhiteHouse.gov account to sign. Link is below!

http://www.budweiser.com/opening-day.html
    PC: Longoria, Tulowitzki, Kemp, Pujols, Griffey Jr, Randy Johnson, Chipper Jones, Helton, Biggio, Bagwell, Giancarlo (Mike) Stanton, Votto, Derek Jeter
    I trade by BV:

http://southernsportscards.webs.com/home
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/southe...tscards/albums

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to upstatenyredsoxfan's ebay items
    Go to jaybo374's comc items

As awesome as that would be, I'm afraid that the majority of Americans would just see it as just another holiday which is nothing more than a day off from work and school and not celebrate the person/event that should celebrated. How many reflect upon the beliefs and sacrifices of MLK during the Civil Rights Movement when we celebrate his birthday in January? How about Veteran's Day and Presidents Day?
    my set wantlist

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo374 View Post
    As awesome as that would be, I'm afraid that the majority of Americans would just see it as just another holiday which is nothing more than a day off from work and school and not celebrate the person/event that should celebrated. How many reflect upon the beliefs and sacrifices of MLK during the Civil Rights Movement when we celebrate his birthday in January? How about Veteran's Day and Presidents Day?

This sad but true. I remember when I was young we would get both days off school & now where I live the school district calls those "bad weather days" or "staff development day" which is ridiculous to me. Then again I'm old don't even understand half the garbage they are teaching or better to say not teaching the kids.
    PC: Longoria, Tulowitzki, Kemp, Pujols, Griffey Jr, Randy Johnson, Chipper Jones, Helton, Biggio, Bagwell, Giancarlo (Mike) Stanton, Votto, Derek Jeter
    I trade by BV:

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Any other opinions on this matter? Would any of you like to see Opening Day become a National Holiday?
    I trade by BV:

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to tigger0008's ebay items
    Go to David K.'s comc items

I would love it..but I work for the government...and they feel theres already to many holidays...Best regards, David
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Contest for Aaron Judge auto serial 44/50 has been posted!

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

You know it is just a advertising ploy when the link opens up a page for Budwieiser. A holiday for pro baseball would be a slap in the face to all the men and women that have served our country. Just my two cents worth...

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to vman1111's ebay items

Quote Originally Posted by budd2222 View Post
    You know it is just a advertising ploy when the link opens up a page for Budwieiser. A holiday for pro baseball would be a slap in the face to all the men and women that have served our country. Just my two cents worth...
    While I love baseball, at all levels, I believe these 2 comments sum it up best. Most Americans now look at holidays as an excuse to either spend money, get drunk or eat too much and in some cases all of the above. There are very few if any holidays that are celebrated as they were originally intended. Not to mention I think everyday of the year is national something day. Not to say that there aren't those people that hold true to the holiday but I think we have enough.
    Currently only collecting MTG and Digital cards the various Topps App cards. My ID's are listed below along with what I am collecting.
    Bunt - VMAN1111(Braves and Wade Boggs
    Huddle - VMAN1111(Falcons)
    Kick - VMAN1111(All for trade)
    Star Wars - VMAN21200(Chewbacca)
    The Walking Dead - VMAN212(Various Insert Sets)

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to fenway-fanatic's ebay items

This would be just as silly to me as if they made the day after the Super Bowl a holiday as some have suggested. National holidays need to be reserved to honor special things - the birth of our country and things like that. Neither of these rise to anywhere near that level. They are just sports.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Wantlists are on my webpage. Click the my user name and then go to home page.

ONLY MAILING ON SATURDAY

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

I wonder if Ozzie is pitching for Budweiser? Interesting idea, but sounds like some marketing? Dont know, we do have lots of holidays already, and I'd rather finish the school year in late May early June with fewer holidays!
    "For nothing will be impossible for God" ~ Luke 1:37

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating
    Gary Sheffield

Go to mcluvsrp's ebay items

I have to work most holidays or be forced to use PTO (paid time off). Too be honest I've admit-tingly fallen out of love with the game of baseball. I collect a baseball player but for that matter I could care less what the sport was at this point, it could be rocks. I'm going to continue to collect it. And for that reason I'd have to say I don't think it's a good idea. However I can say with 100% certainty that even when I was a baseball advocate a few years ago I wouldn't have voted for the idea. Most holidays I view as pointless, especially since I'm not very religious. Except for the obvious ones, we could cut back on a lot of these bogus holidays. This would be another in my opinion, no fingers pointed. Did you know today is National Pet day? Who would have known that? Surprisingly a bunch of people since I was trending on Instagram, Twitter, FB, via Yahoo! etc earlier. I was surprised as I've never heard of it. Yet somehow its known as a holiday? I don't know if it's nationally recgonized for a holiday in the U.S, maybe not. However I was just reiterating my point that there are too many holidays.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

I remember as a kid growing up outside of Boston that a bunch of kids every year would skip school to go to the Sox home opener. So I guess for them it was already a holiday.

As for there being too many holidays, I do not mind having so many as long as people actually celebrate them by attending the ceremonies that honor the day. Too many Americans do not hold much of anything sacred any longer. Ask most kids for what the 4th of July is celebrated and they'll just shrug their shoulders not knowing.
    my set wantlist

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to tigger0008's ebay items
    Go to David K.'s comc items

Nice idea......But theres already lots of national holidays. Best regards, David
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Contest for Aaron Judge auto serial 44/50 has been posted!

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

I remember as a kid growing up outside of Boston that a bunch of kids every year would skip school to go to the Sox home opener. So I guess for them it was already a holiday.

As for there being too many holidays, I do not mind having so many as long as people actually celebrate them by attending the ceremonies that honor the day. Too many Americans do not hold much of anything sacred any longer. Ask most kids for what the 4th of July is celebrated and they'll just shrug their shoulders not knowing.
    Strongly agree....I used to ask whose Birthday Christmas was, and I usually got a shrug, or once in awhile someone would say "Santa?"

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by KCLJ520 View Post
    Strongly agree....I used to ask whose Birthday Christmas was, and I usually got a shrug, or once in awhile someone would say "Santa?"
    WOW - quite a sad statement.
    my set wantlist

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by jaybo374 View Post
    wow - quite a sad statement.
    wholeheartedly agree!