What is the most you ever spent on a single card?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Champs96ws

Bench Founder
5.00 star(s)
Bench Founder
2 Part question. CASH only no cards and cash.

What is the most you ever spent on a single card?

Could you still get your money back if you had to sell that card today?

Some of the long time members might remember way back I was on the fence about a Barry auto and after I let a few of them slip I took the plunge and just went for it. The card was the 99 Donruss Passing the Torch dual auto of Barry Sanders and Walter Payton. I believe it was in either 2003 or early 2004 I got one on ebay for $830. I've seen them go on ebay for north of $4,000 the last couple of times one has shown it's face. They are no longer easy to come by as only the first 100 were auto'd.

The only one on ebay at the moment has an inflated BIN Passing the Torch, and none have sold in the past 90 days.

I would have to say that if I had to sell it, I could easily make my money back.

How about you??

My story starts out in 2011........Bowman Platinum had a prospect set serial to 25 and the big card was Bryce Harper.....I wanted one but the last 4 on ebay sold for $240, $205, $235, $250......what was fellow to do..I'm not a prospector..but an insert set collector (I collect what I like)...do I bite the bullet and go for it or wait it out? A few weeks later...Notice a Bin for Harper emerald (serial #399) auto and it included his 2011 bowman platinum ruby 7/25 for $250.00!! I clicked on it and had my hobby store sell the Harper emerald auto #399 for $150.00 and I kept the Harper for my still incomplete ruby prospect set. Best regards, David

I bought a *** Wee Reese cut auto back in 2004 for $450 dollars. It was serial numbered to 5. I turned just a small profit a few years later selling it.

I believe the most I have spent was somewhere in the $500 range for a Jackie Robinson Leaf RC - PSA4. I am not sure what they go for now without trying to look at what may be for sale or sold recently. That $500 line was very difficult for me to cross and still is by far. In fact, now days I have trouble dropping more than about $150 on any one item usually. To reach $200, it probably needs to be something very special!

I've always considered myself a low end, bargain hunting pack rat!

I paid 35.00 for a 1960 Topps carl Yastrzemski rookie at a card shop in New Jersey in 1994. I still have the card and looks like it just came out of the pack. My dad bought some cards off a guy he worked with for 90.00 in 1986. The cards turned out to be 1953 Bowman colors and the mantle was one of them. It was probably the best card I ever had but I sold it when I was a junior in High School in 1988 for 1000.00. I had A LOT of fun with that money and never told anyone that I sold it.

I usually try to add a new high-end card to my PCs each season. Haven't added a new Pujols for the upcoming baseball season yet, but starting to look. I think the most expensive card I've bought so far is my Calvin Johnson 2007 SP Authentic RC. I paid $225 for it, which is more than I wanted to pay, but it has the I and the O from the neck of the Lions jersey complete. Thought it was worth the bump in price to have an identifiable portion of the jersey on the card. I'm pretty sure I can get my money back or even make some money if I decide to sell, though I doubt that will happen.

I bought a PSA8 1982 Topps Traded Ripken a few years back for $75...this was when the BV was $150, not $120.

I paid $40 for a Glavine 93 SCV Refractor but a friend of mine spent $40,000 for a 52 Mantle grade 7
my kids bought me a $150 55 Ted Williams
Jack

I don't know if this would work for this subject but when I lived in Fla I bought at a the local card shop a box with about 3,000
cards in it that the owner was trying to sell he said give me 15 .00 dollars which I did and ended up in the bottom of the box was a Hank Aaron and Yogi Berra cards from 1956 still have those two cards plus most of the other cardsas I put about 15 sets from them

In late 2006 I bought a "2006 Topps Triple Threads - Relic Combos 199 Buck O'Neil Bat / Josh Gibson Model Bat / Monte Irvin Bat #/3, for around $300--by far the most I had ever paid for a card. When I broke up my collection 2 years ago I got almost a grand for that card.

I'd say that was a great deal!

In late 2006 I bought a "2006 Topps Triple Threads - Relic Combos 199 Buck O'Neil Bat / Josh Gibson Model Bat / Monte Irvin Bat #/3, for around $300--by far the most I had ever paid for a card. When I broke up my collection 2 years ago I got almost a grand for that card.

I bought an off-grade 1953 Bowman Color Mickey Mantle for $160 about 10-15 years ago, sold it with a Berra and Musial at a show for $500.

Recently spent $170 on a Trent Dilfer 1/1 NFL shield jersey card. I believe I could get close to that back if I wanted to sell it, which I do not. Outside of that one I can't recall ever spending more than $125 on a card. The first card I ever spent over $100 on was a T206 Chief Bender, and I know I couldn't get that much back because it'd probably grade out at a 1. I bought it at the National and I didn't own any pre-war cards so I kind of got caught up in the moment and overspent.

Richard