Start of Baseball Season! Favorite TTM or IP story???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm not one to name drop, but after many unsuccessive attempts to get my wife to take my Pat Burrell cards with her on her golf trips with her golf partner, Mary Burrell, Pat the Bat's mom, I sequestered his PO Box from an outside source and sent him a letter (he is a home town hero where I live) and two cards. Pat, if any of you have tried, is not a signer for TTMs. In the letter to him, I mentioned my wife being golf partners with his mom. About 2 months later I received my two RCs by the Philly slugger signed.
6 months later, my wife tells me at a function where she ran into Mary Burrell that Mary said to her, "Becca, you never have to be embarrassed to ask me for Pat's autograph!" Hah!

Awesome! Glad Pat signed those for you, Rooster, and Maniacmike, no surprise that none of those guys signed if people were being so rude, I probably wouldnt either (not that I get IP auto requests, but you know what I mean!)

Thanks for the great stories guys!

My favorite all-time TTM was back in 1988/1989. At the time, I was a huge Cal Ripken, Jr. fan (and still am). This was the time when the Orioles weren't very good and Cal Sr was the manager with Billy also playing for the Orioles. I sent a 1988 Topps card of Cal Sr. to Cal Sr. to ask for his autograph. I also included the 1988 Donruss card of Cal Sr. pictured with Cal Jr. and Billy for him to keep, as I thought that this card would really have some special meaning for him. In my letter, I talked about the importance of baseball in the development of my relationship with my father and how proud Cal Sr. must be of both of his sons and how much I thought he must enjoy sharing the Major League experience with his sons. About two weeks later, I received my 1988 Topps card back from Cal Sr. signed. He also signed the 1988 Donruss card and had both Billy and Cal Jr. sign the card. Nearly 30 years later, I still have both cards in my collection and both are some of my prized autographs. I love sharing this story. Thanks for allowing me to share it again.

REALLY! I remember that card well, had a copy of it as a child and really liked it, that is SO COOL that Cal Sr. did that, I heard he was a very classy man, and that is an AWESOME story! I have been around this hobby for 22 years, and have really seen a lot of items, the most fun ones are those that are out of the ordinary. That card, along with the story behind it, are very unique! I would love to see a photo if you have one, especially given the story behind how you obtained it. VERY COOL!

I sent a heartfelt letter to Phil Niekro, in the letter I made a drawing of his brother Joe & him when they were both on the Astros, then I added a card, I did not add his fee of $5. as I don't pay for TTTMs. He sent me a letter back on his HOF induction stationary with a very kind thank you for thinking of him and his late brother, oh yes and he signed my card!

REALLY! I remember that card well, had a copy of it as a child and really liked it, that is SO COOL that Cal Sr. did that, I heard he was a very classy man, and that is an AWESOME story! I have been around this hobby for 22 years, and have really seen a lot of items, the most fun ones are those that are out of the ordinary. That card, along with the story behind it, are very unique! I would love to see a photo if you have one, especially given the story behind how you obtained it. VERY COOL!

I would love to share a picture of the card. Here it is:

291155.jpg

My favorite IP (not at an official signing) was getting Nolan Ryan at an Astros game. You can never really see who is signing when you are a kid, so it was a pretty big surprise when I got close enough to realize who it was.

My favorite IP (signing version) was a card show reunion of the Goal Line Stand defense of the Alabama-Penn State Sugar Bowl between Coach Bryant and Paterno.

I would love to share a picture of the card. Here it is:

291155.jpg

I remember that card well, though mine was the UN-signed version! Awesome item and GREAT story! Thanks for sharing the photo!

Rooster, good idea never to pay for TTMs and also cool success for sure!

Dan, no doubt cool to find Nolan close enough to sign for you, and very unique goal line stand item, LOVE LOVE LOVE college football, would love to see a scan of the item if possible!

Thanks guys, God Bless!

Kevin Mc