Babe Ruth Autograph Question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawaiian BamBam

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
When I think of the greatest baseball player of all time, I automatically think of Babe Ruth. It got me to thinking, being the greatest player of all time and possibly the greatest athlete in all sports, how many people in the world do you think actually own a babe ruth autograph? (besides museums and HOF etc) I wouldnt think very many, but I could be wrong.

Being a prolific signer Ruth would autograph anything handed to him. Over the years a great many have been sold all over the world. You would have a better chance of finding a a Ruth auto than a Lou Gehrig.

I Would have to agree they cant be many I know my grandfather had several old autos and back then they didn't realize what it would become and did not have the storage abilities we do now

How many is not that many?. I just did a little search and found that the card company's made over 240 cut auto cards, add on all the bats, balls, cards, photos ect. Then add all the autographs that went to Japan in the 1980s and you will come to more of a demand than the number on the market.

thanks guys for your responses. i appreciate them. i though babe ruth was rare, but it seems like there are alot of babe ruth autographs out there. how about lou gehrig? it was mentioned above that he is a tough autograph to find? also, i havent seen many roberto clemente autographs on cards out there. he must be tough as well. thanks

Just look at the major auction houses. Many have Ruth autographs several times a year. Expensive, but not especially difficult. Compare that to Arky Vaughan, or King Kelly. Heck, compare him to Noe Munoz, Clancy Smyres, or Roy Castleton. There are autographs people have been searching for for decades and just cannot find at ANY price, with Ruth, it's just a matter of having the money.

Not to brag but this year I got one of each. Still in disbelief as those were 2 autos I thought I would never see and to this day am still shocked. An interesting debate broke out at the shop that night, Which one would you want? Prob Half (8) of the guys there for the break all said Gerhig without hesitation. I participated in a case break and bought the Yankees. This was the last pack opened.

IMG_20140913_19474_edit_1410655685428_zpsqagzefd0.jpg

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors