BSL Modifications for 2022 Season (FINAL VERSION)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I really don't mind these rules except I do think it should start with this upcoming draft class & as far as Type A's I'm torn on. I think the rich teams can now continue to spend what they want to get the big fish and not have to pay any kind of penalty. That I don't agree with because they will continue to be loaded and be able to develop a 1st rounder every year as well. While small market teams ex specially ones that finish middle of the pact don't get the real blue chip players in draft and have to cross there fingers to land a free agent. Resources are limited! Granted this is realistic look at the Red Sox in real life. I just don't see as far as parody how the Type A's will help the poor:).

I really don't mind these rules except I do think it should start with this upcoming draft class & as far as Type A's I'm torn on. I think the rich teams can now continue to spend what they want to get the big fish and not have to pay any kind of penalty. That I don't agree with because they will continue to be loaded and be able to develop a 1st rounder every year as well. While small market teams ex specially ones that finish middle of the pact don't get the real blue chip players in draft and have to cross there fingers to land a free agent. Resources are limited! Granted this is realistic look at the Red Sox in real life. I just don't see as far as parody how the Type A's will help the poor:).

Getting rid of the comp picks might be a good thing for the smaller teams. After all the comp picks between rounds 1 and 2, most of which are Type B, there isn't much left for the second round some years. So maybe this brings more talent down to the second round picks.

If you look at free agency there are not a lot of Type A free agents being signed unless they are super studs, most people wait to sign them just so they won't lose a pick. I don't see this rule really making things too much different since not many people get a Type A pick compensation each year.

The problem is that Cory said it has to be one way or the other (Type A & Type B or nothing). I think the league is better to drop them both than to continue the way it is going. A second round draft pick will now really be a second round draft pick. I had the #1 pick a few years ago and had the 1st overall pick and my 2nd round pick (first in that round) was around 70. I would be worth a lot more at around pick 35.

I agree with this. I am not crazy about having to hold picks. I also don't like the sign and cannot trade for 1 year rule. It isn't really realistic. Before the A and B compensation, at least in the BSL 1.0, there was a flurry of trades at trade deadlines. Free agents to be were traded quite often, for players an owner could control longer. I do understand what Cory is trying to do, but these rules are only going into effect to keep owners who aren't doing very well from trading their future. Thing is, an owner can rebuild if he participates. When this all started, in the BSL 1.0, I had the worst record in the initial season. But you know what that gave me, first priority on EVERY player to reach waivers. And I used that a bunch, because obviously, I was in last, so there had to be better players being released than I had on my roster. It also gave me the 1st pick in each round of the draft. I also traded a lot, and guys who played then know this. I would trade current player who had a value of say 3.5 stars for a player who was young, but was only a 2 star player, but had a 4.5 star potential. And teams that were on the bubble that needed the player I was trading, would do it. Might be that missing piece for their run. It wasn't unusual to parlay a waiver claim player into a piece that I could use for next season. Sure, it took looking at the game every sim, barring if real life stuff gets in the way. But isn't that why we are playing, for enjoyment?

With a little time and being ACTIVE, the following season, I won it all. A worst to 1st. I can still remember Cory commenting when he posted it, who would have guessed this. To me, a fix isn't done overnight, or in one sim. A fix is done by being active. Making moves to improve. Doesn't take a lot of time. I will be honest, I don't spend much time at all doing this, but I do look at each sim, make moves, and export. If an owner looks at his/her teams, and looks beyond the current season, put together a long term plan. I mean really, in a year of real life, we are doing 3 or 4 seasons it seems. So it should take long to rebuild even. But there really isn't a reason that Oakland, who is competing yearly and is at the bottom of the waiver wire priority, should get a guy like Colton Thornton on waivers. Yes, he was a 1 star player, but he was a 3 star potential guy. But he was also 22 years old. Surely there were teams that could have used this kid and/or had room on their roster for him. And now he is a 4.5 star player, and just 25.

I am not calling out anyone, but I do think that some owners just need to PAY ATTENTION. Cory coming up with rules to help keep the competitive balance sucks. The rule of no trades for a year for a signed player sucks. Example, I am sure there would have been teams trading for Gerald Badger at the trade deadline, if it wasn't for this rule. The guy is still raking. But some would have said, I don't want his $17M contract. Thing is, owners need to realize that he isn't going to cost you that, as half the season is done anyways. And if you are in the hunt, he is going to help attendance and if you make the post season, you will get revenue there. And the benefit to Cleveland would be huge, as he could have netted a few pieces for his rebuilding process going forward. He might have gotten a nice return on a 1 season player that basically he paid $9M or so to, and got some fan interest from, and in the long term, gotten some nice players. So even for a small market team, or one not in contention, I saw some value to him signing Badger. But with the rule of not trading, it hurt him. I mean really, I seen Heath multiple times sign free agents, and trade them BEFORE spring training. And I thought he was clever in that, as he was able to then get a player he could actually use, even though that player wasn't out on the market.

Same with finances of teams, which I think are getting better. But I see a lot of owners run to the low money up front, and big money at the end. But they really don't know what their budget is going to be, or other obligations, or attendance, or such. Get your teams finances in order, and it gets much easier. In 2019 Oakland won with a $60M payroll. So it can happen, but you have to have players from within (which is why Cory is trying to do this rule, but really it should be an owners choice/responsibility). I like to sign my players in reverse, meaning, I know how much I have to spend next year, if I throw a player a bunch of cash up front, I can actually budget it. And often, they will take less money overall, as they get paid up front. In doing so, I can have a better handle on team spending (there is that long term vision again). And, it also guards me some from signing that guy cheap up front, and escalating contract, only to have his ratings drop and he is now a money eating boat anchor (Miami and Hanley Ramirez for years). I know we are in this to enjoy, but with a little effort by everyone, the entire league will benefit.

I know it was long, but just some of my thoughts. And if you read all the way to here, and are still reading, you do care about the BSL, and probably could put in a little more, and would really reap the rewards, Tony.
The problem is that Cory said it has to be one way or the other (Type A & Type B or nothing). I think the league is better to drop them both than to continue the way it is going. A second round draft pick will now really be a second round draft pick. I had the #1 pick a few years ago and had the 1st overall pick and my 2nd round pick (first in that round) was around 70. I would be worth a lot more at around pick 35.

I agree with this. I am not crazy about having to hold picks. I also don't like the sign and cannot trade for 1 year rule. It isn't really realistic. (You can sign and trade a player, you just can't EXTEND and trade a player) Before the A and B compensation, at least in the BSL 1.0, there was a flurry of trades at trade deadlines. Free agents to be were traded quite often, for players an owner could control longer. I do understand what Cory is trying to do, but these rules are only going into effect to keep owners who aren't doing very well from trading their future. Thing is, an owner can rebuild if he participates. When this all started, in the BSL 1.0, I had the worst record in the initial season. But you know what that gave me, first priority on EVERY player to reach waivers. And I used that a bunch, because obviously, I was in last, so there had to be better players being released than I had on my roster. It also gave me the 1st pick in each round of the draft. I also traded a lot, and guys who played then know this. I would trade current player who had a value of say 3.5 stars for a player who was young, but was only a 2 star player, but had a 4.5 star potential. And teams that were on the bubble that needed the player I was trading, would do it. Might be that missing piece for their run. It wasn't unusual to parlay a waiver claim player into a piece that I could use for next season. Sure, it took looking at the game every sim, barring if real life stuff gets in the way. But isn't that why we are playing, for enjoyment?

With a little time and being ACTIVE, the following season, I won it all. A worst to 1st. I can still remember Cory commenting when he posted it, who would have guessed this. To me, a fix isn't done overnight, or in one sim. A fix is done by being active. Making moves to improve. Doesn't take a lot of time. I will be honest, I don't spend much time at all doing this, but I do look at each sim, make moves, and export. If an owner looks at his/her teams, and looks beyond the current season, put together a long term plan. I mean really, in a year of real life, we are doing 3 or 4 seasons it seems. So it should take long to rebuild even. But there really isn't a reason that Oakland, who is competing yearly and is at the bottom of the waiver wire priority, should get a guy like Colton Thornton on waivers. Yes, he was a 1 star player, but he was a 3 star potential guy. But he was also 22 years old. Surely there were teams that could have used this kid and/or had room on their roster for him. And now he is a 4.5 star player, and just 25. (I completely agree with the theory of the example, but Thornton never actually cleared waivers because he was pulled back onto the roster multiple times. I, along with other teams, but in multiple claims when he was available)

I am not calling out anyone, but I do think that some owners just need to PAY ATTENTION. Cory coming up with rules to help keep the competitive balance sucks. The rule of no trades for a year for a signed player sucks. Example, I am sure there would have been teams trading for Gerald Badger at the trade deadline, if it wasn't for this rule. (He was eligible to be traded/traded for. He was signed as a free agent, not offered and extension that I am aware of) The guy is still raking. But some would have said, I don't want his $17M contract. Thing is, owners need to realize that he isn't going to cost you that, as half the season is done anyways. And if you are in the hunt, he is going to help attendance and if you make the post season, you will get revenue there. And the benefit to Cleveland would be huge, as he could have netted a few pieces for his rebuilding process going forward. He might have gotten a nice return on a 1 season player that basically he paid $9M or so to, and got some fan interest from, and in the long term, gotten some nice players. So even for a small market team, or one not in contention, I saw some value to him signing Badger. But with the rule of not trading, it hurt him. I mean really, I seen Heath multiple times sign free agents, and trade them BEFORE spring training. And I thought he was clever in that, as he was able to then get a player he could actually use, even though that player wasn't out on the market.

Same with finances of teams, which I think are getting better. But I see a lot of owners run to the low money up front, and big money at the end. But they really don't know what their budget is going to be, or other obligations, or attendance, or such. Get your teams finances in order, and it gets much easier. In 2019 Oakland won with a $60M payroll. So it can happen, but you have to have players from within (which is why Cory is trying to do this rule, but really it should be an owners choice/responsibility). I like to sign my players in reverse, meaning, I know how much I have to spend next year, if I throw a player a bunch of cash up front, I can actually budget it. And often, they will take less money overall, as they get paid up front. In doing so, I can have a better handle on team spending (there is that long term vision again). And, it also guards me some from signing that guy cheap up front, and escalating contract, only to have his ratings drop and he is now a money eating boat anchor (Miami and Hanley Ramirez for years). I know we are in this to enjoy, but with a little effort by everyone, the entire league will benefit.

I know it was long, but just some of my thoughts. And if you read all the way to here, and are still reading, you do care about the BSL, and probably could put in a little more, and would really reap the rewards, Tony.
Overall a good read

Changes have been finalized. Final Modifications are as follows and are noted in first post for future reference.

***Minor League Free Agency will be enabled for the 2022 season and beyond***
Professional service time and time on a secondary roster affect minor league free agency. On the day the playoffs end, if a minor league player is not currently on the secondary roster, he becomes a free agent if:
Professional Service Time - Time on Secondary Roster >= 6 years or more"
(this will turn over minor league systems substantially and offer lower teams more chances to add some depth or a piece here and there to their rosters, plus it is similar to how real-life is handled)

The Draft Pick Trading Rule has been modified:
a. Effective with the 2022 (next year class) not the 2021 class as originally proposed.
b. The no-trade time frame was reduced from 3 to 2 seasons, including the season the player is drafted (so really, just one more than already in place).

Changes have been finalized. Final Modifications are as follows and are noted in first post for future reference.

***Minor League Free Agency will be enabled for the 2022 season and beyond***
Professional service time and time on a secondary roster affect minor league free agency. On the day the playoffs end, if a minor league player is not currently on the secondary roster, he becomes a free agent if:
Professional Service Time - Time on Secondary Roster >= 6 years or more"
(this will turn over minor league systems substantially and offer lower teams more chances to add some depth or a piece here and there to their rosters, plus it is similar to how real-life is handled)

The Draft Pick Trading Rule has been modified:
a. Effective with the 2022 (next year class) not the 2021 class as originally proposed.
b. The no-trade time frame was reduced from 3 to 2 seasons, including the season the player is drafted (so really, just one more than already in place).

Fair enough, let's give it a shot:)

Tony, you can't really use C.Thornton on waivers as an example every time someone claimed him you pulled him off waivers. I may be wrong but I put in a couple claims a couple seasons ago for him and SP D.Allen

Not what I am talking about. I am talking about how he got passed everyone else to me getting him off of waivers from the Rangers I believe. That was my example.
Tony, you can't really use C.Thornton on waivers as an example every time someone claimed him you pulled him off waivers. I may be wrong but I put in a couple claims a couple seasons ago for him and SP D.Allen