COMC charges outrageous return shipping costs? WHY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawaiian BamBam

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
Has anyone every tried getting their cards back from COMC? I have a few hundred cards listed on COMC that havent sold in years so i decided to have those cards shipped back to me and the total was over $100 to ship my cards back! I called COMC and they said that the cost was the labor of pulling a couple hundred cards. so i said i dont want to do business with them anymore and just want them to ship all my cards back, so they said it will be almost $300 to get all of my inventory back! so pretty much they charge outrageous return shipping costs on your cards once they have them in their procession. to me that a a rip off! especially since they ship usps priority mail flat rate which is only like $15.00! i can understand they need labor costs but really over $100 to ship back a couple hundred cards! I wont be sending them any more cards to sell! I wish they would of told me up front that it would cost an arm and a leg to send my cards back if i ever decided to want my cards back. Anyone else have this problem?

Their FAQ states:

Can I ever ship some or all of my consigned items back to me?

Yes, all of your items remain in your control at all times. From the Actions menu in your Inventory Manager, select Add to Shipment for each item you want returned. Then, from the Buyer Menu on your Dashboard, select Request Shipment and follow the steps to confirm your shipment. The per-item shipping fee will be charged in addition to the shipping rate. If you are returning large quantities of items, please contact Customer Relations for a freight quote.

So, shipping a large quantity back would cost a lot of money. I've brought back a few now and then that didn't sell that I decided to hang on to, but if you're looking to bring back your entire port, I would recommend either leaving it for sale, or selling it as a port for whatever you can get and cutting ties.

thanks for the info, i didnt knot know that info. i thought that we can ask for our cards back at any time and that it wouldnt cost hundreds of dollars to get my cards back. i thought they could ship them in the usps flat rate boxes for$15.00. I dont mind paying a "reasonable" amount of money to get my cards back and i dont even mind them making money off shipping my cards back (hidden in the "'labor to pull your cards fee". i dont mind paying for that, i just dont think it cots "hundreds" of dollars to pull cards. to me that is price gouging at its finest. so i will stop doing business with me, i will stop sending in cards to them to sell, i will stop buying cards from their site and i will probably just request to ship my cards back a little at a time, so im not stung with hundreds of dollars in fees to ship my own cards back to me.

Yea I agree that is a ridiculous price to be paying to get your own cards back. My suggestion they aren't moving like you'd expect them too then sell as a port or have a blowout sale. Do you accept offers on your cards? That should also help move them. I have debated long & hard on rather or not to send in cards but figured I better not unless I am sure I don't or won
t want them anymore. I enjoy trading too much really to just send them in to just sit somewhere when I have enough space in boxes for them. In retrospect just sell as a port to get what you can & sever your ties with COMC.

i do accept offers but i think alot of my cards are cards that no one wants as they have sat there for quite some time without any offers or sales. i think comc is a great site if you have cards that are of hot players that will sell quick such as mike trout. i dont think it is a great site if you have cards that will never sell (like my cards). i think what soured me on comc is there terrible customer service to me personally, as the guy i spoke too seemed like he could care less if i wanted to close my comc account and send my cards back. His attitude was pretty much you pay OUR price or we will just keep your cards until you pay our price almost like they are keeping our cards for a ransom. the whole pay OUR stated price or else we keep YOUR cards attitude was not very cool to me. The attitude i got was we will keep your cards until you have no choice but to pay our steep price. if you want your cards shipped back. I just dont like the whole attitude of oh well. dealt with it (pay our costs) i dont treat people that way and I dont expect to be treated that way especially from a professional company like comc.

Would it be cheaper to lower the cost of all of your stuff and then purchase it from yourself? They ship the cards, you pay your percentage which is likely way cheaper, and all is well.

This might not work at all, just a thought.

great idea actually! ill have to think about that, as i can lower all my cards to just 1 cent, then buy them all and then they should ship them for all for $3.00! brilliant if it works. (im crossing my fingers it will work as it will be the ultimate FU to comc!) does anyone know if this tactic will work?

it won't work, but i am on phone can can't type a long drawn out explanation. Shipping expenses up front vs old card listing didnt havr shipping paid by seller

A long time ago they did offer a cheap flat rate return on the port, but it disappeared over time. As has been stated, you are probably better off just selling the port or having sales to liquidate the account. I buy ports on there every so often, so hit me up if you need any tips or advice. Just make sure you are the lowest price on every card in the port for a start.

The shipping does seem exorbitant, but they do have to pay someone to find and pull each card - I don't know how many cards you have in your port, but $300 still seems like a lot. I do know besides the Large Flat Rate cost of $15.80, they would likely insure the cards for the value of your port (which can get pricey), and will probably require signature confirmation from you which adds a bit more. A quick visit to USPS shows me $75+ if they were to mail back my cards Large Flat Rate, Insured for Port Value, and with Adult Signature. They would add the insurance and adult signature required to verify your receipt and cover their butts. I've had them ship very valuable stuff to me in the past and they spent more on postage than my cost to ship.

The lowest possible cost per card would be .26 (.01 for card, .25 for shipping).

great idea actually! ill have to think about that, as i can lower all my cards to just 1 cent, then buy them all and then they should ship them for all for $3.00! brilliant if it works. (im crossing my fingers it will work as it will be the ultimate FU to comc!) does anyone know if this tactic will work?

I'm surprised at you Hawaiian BamBam..........John 3:16 in your signature and using off color language in your post...........Shame on you.........