Thread: PSA Question - Added link to card

PSA Question - Added link to card

Why would a card be encapsulated as authentic besides being in rough condition ? I was looking at one such card and couldn't figure it out. It was in great shape, decently centered, and no creases. If it was trimmed psa wouldn't have slabbed it. I'm baffled
    Last edited by mintman2; 05-19-2016 at 07:50 PM.
    Ripken wants:
    01 Leaf R&S Statistical Standouts gu on deck circle - Any besides solid white
    05 UD BB Heroes jsys bronze #11, emerald 11 & 14
    06 UD Epic Materials jerseys, dark green CR2, grey CR1 & 3, gold CR2

Just started the 1964 Topps baseball set. Only have Mantle and 30+ commons. Will trade just about anything I have so lmk what you have/need. Looking for exmt or better

I took a chance and went ahead and bid on it. Ended up winning it for a couple bucks less than my max. Thoughts ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311609274126
    Ripken wants:

Just started the 1964 Topps baseball set. Only have Mantle and 30+ commons. Will trade just about anything I have so lmk what you have/need. Looking for exmt or better

I couldn't tell you, but that looks like a great looking Mantle.....Did you happen to ask the seller your question?

Quote Originally Posted by greatdadx2 View Post
    I couldn't tell you, but that looks like a great looking Mantle.....Did you happen to ask the seller your question?
    Yes, I asked if there was anything wrong that you can't see in the scan, like small creases, coloring, etc. His total reply was, and I quote, "I don't know". I thought that was kind of rude even if the seller does have 95,000 items for sale, but they have near perfect fb and star ratings so I took a chance. Assuming the scan is good my guess is the card would be a solid 4 at least.
    Ripken wants:

Maybe altered? Rookie submitter? I'd send it in for a review and get a number grade on that one after you look it over in person.

Thanks
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Loyalty32 View Post
    Maybe altered? Rookie submitter? I'd send it in for a review and get a number grade on that one after you look it over in person.

Thanks
    Craig
    I'm pretty sure (not positive) that if it was altered in some way psa wouldn't slab it or it would be noted. I think you may be right about rookie submitter though. If I remember correctly, I believe you can ask for a card not to receive a number grade lower than what you specify but, since it went through the grading process, they'll still slab as authentic.
    Ripken wants:

Looks like the lower right corner has some separation and part of it is bent up and all four corners look soft. Plus a little off center left to right.

I have a 68 Topps that looks better than that and it only graded a 6.
    Last edited by dan5; 05-24-2016 at 02:34 PM.
    Brad Ziegler 343/648Wantlist Click Here
    RC's & Autos Of Mike Trout,Aaron Judge,Matt Olson,Matt Chapman,Ronald Acuna,Juan Soto, Jose Altuve,Khris Davis,Mookie Betts,Christian Yelich,Bryce Harper, Ramon Laureano,Vladimir Guerrero Jr.,Fernando Tatis Jr.,Pete Alonso,Anthony Rendon
    Football Shaquem Griffin & Alabama Crimson Tide players
    Boxing/MMA- Micky Ward, Gina Carano

Got the card and the problem is the bottom right corner is chewed up a bit more than can be seen in the scan. Beautiful card except for that but I don't know how psa would grade that.

Ripken wants:

That reply would have been my walk away flag, I hope you did.

Quote Originally Posted by mintman2 View Post
    Yes, I asked if there was anything wrong that you can't see in the scan, like small creases, coloring, etc. His total reply was, and I quote, "I don't know". I thought that was kind of rude even if the seller does have 95,000 items for sale, but they have near perfect fb and star ratings so I took a chance. Assuming the scan is good my guess is the card would be a solid 4 at least.
    OnDeck

When we trade I go the extra step for a fellow collector. I send out the best packaging. I use sleeve covers, sandwich between cardboard protectors tight yet firm fit. Use of bubble wrap mailer often with delivery confirmation. I do not send damaged cards. I require the same respect. I understand trader ratings isnít required I urge you to make the effort to give those ratings.

From the PSA page:

N-0 Authentic Only - This means that PSA is only certifying that the item is genuine, without a numerical grade. This may be due to the existence of an alteration, one with malice or otherwise, a major defect or the original submitter may have requested that PSA encapsulate the card without a grade. The "Authentic" label means that the item, in our opinion, is real but nothing more.

http://www.psacard.com/services/psagradingstandards

My guess is that the card probably fell short of the size standard. Do you have another '64 you can place over/under it to compare? If you are lucky, the previous owner asked just for encapsulation - if you feel like re-submitting it they can grade it.
    Always accepting 20% Off on my COMC Account with Auto Accept - COMC

I think it's an excellent pick up regardless. I'd send it in for a review if I had it.

Thanks
    Craig

I'd agree with Craig on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Loyalty32 View Post
    I think it's an excellent pick up regardless. I'd send it in for a review if I had it.

Thanks
    Craig
    Always accepting 20% Off on my COMC Account with Auto Accept - COMC

PSA definitely slabs trimmed cards as authentic without a numerical grade. It is very common with the t206 cards.
    All cards I have are grade EX or higher(unless noted), I expect the same in return

If you ever do decide to crack it out and submit it raw, fold that corner piece back down. It will present much better in the slab.

Thanks
    Craig