Questions about grading my 1993 SP Jeter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chief wahoo

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Let me preface by saying that I have never bought/sold/traded graded cards. This would be the first time submitting a card for grading. So I have some basic questions about the process.

1) Is PSA the way to go? I've read a lot about "crossing over" to PSA, and PSA seems to be generally accepted as a grading company.
2) I see that the cost is based on my "declared value". I think my card would grade no worse than a 7, but might be an 8 or 9. So what's to keep me from sending in at the regular rate ($18 -- declared value <$500)? If I under-shoot on value, does that kill any chance of getting an 8 or 9 in return? Or maybe the regular rate is more about the time requested to grade (10 days vs. 5 business days for Express), and the value is more about insurance coverage in case it's lost in the mail?

I pack-pulled this card 23 years ago so I'm not concerned about trimming.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The declared value is for insurance purposes if it's lost, stolen or damaged. I would go with BGS for the Jeter. PSA is more for vintage cards.

My question for you is have you checked what the card sells for graded 7-8 compared to a raw copy? Is it worth spending the extra money if it only increases the value slightly?

The declared value if for how much insurance is needed to send it back. I always put how much it would cost to go buy the card in that condition raw. You can't really guess the grade and base the declared value on that because there's cards that you think will grade very high and come back 3 grades lower and vis-a-versa. I'm a PSA guy myself so I'd recommend them, however I agree with the above that you could also go BGS on a card that new and probably be fine value wise.

#1 - PSA is the only way to go for the Jeter. Go to eBay and compare the ending prices of BGS 8 vs. PSA 8 and BGS 9 vs. PSA 9. It's not even close. PWCC's most recent BGS 9 sold for $363.88. PWCC's most recent PSA 9 sold for $3,001.51. (The two PWCC sold prior to that reached $2,938.00 and $3,181.00)

#2 - As mentioned by others, the declared value is for insurance/shipping purposes. If you hit a higher grade that makes a substantial difference in value, they may reach out to bump up that coverage.

*Since you pulled it yourself, you indeed do not have to worry about trimming. Which is a great thing! However, the Jeter, among others in the set are notoriously factory short.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Thanks
Craig

Let me preface by saying that I have never bought/sold/traded graded cards. This would be the first time submitting a card for grading. So I have some basic questions about the process.

1) Is PSA the way to go? I've read a lot about "crossing over" to PSA, and PSA seems to be generally accepted as a grading company.
2) I see that the cost is based on my "declared value". I think my card would grade no worse than a 7, but might be an 8 or 9. So what's to keep me from sending in at the regular rate ($18 -- declared value <$500)? If I under-shoot on value, does that kill any chance of getting an 8 or 9 in return? Or maybe the regular rate is more about the time requested to grade (10 days vs. 5 business days for Express), and the value is more about insurance coverage in case it's lost in the mail?

I pack-pulled this card 23 years ago so I'm not concerned about trimming.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!