wild wild world of errors and variations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve1972

MVP
5.00 star(s)
so where do I start but with the junk wax era. I know there were bundles and bundles of errors and I know most, to me, are tick tacky. someone had led me to a database to use their checklists and such and in the options is the errors listing and defines what the errors are for each card.

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/

I know there are some here that collect the errors as part of their master sets, kinda cool, the biggest one is 89 fleer with all the informational errors, bats left instead of right, where the players live, positions wrong and stuff like that.

not in the 89 fleer set but in the upper deck set and now I see from the database is the topps set, one player in particular is gary Sheffield with these errors:

1989 upper deck position upside down. ok is upside down meaning closer to the top is the correct??

1989 topps picture errors or variation, is the word "future star" has different spacing (one is right on top of the hat and one has a gap) then and another listing is that the picture frame is bigger.

apparently there is no price variation in the Sheffields' as beckett only lists once or is that just in the magazine. has anyone else noticed this and anything else in that set like this and does anyone really care??

just food for conversation.....

Trading card database is my go-to site for card identification purposes. It is a life saver for me in identifying cards, especially the more modern ones.

I have a 1995 Beckett's Baseball Annual and the two 1989 Sheffield cards are the same price ($2.50). If there was a price difference it ws probably in the 1989-90 time frame. I actually thought there was a slight difference in pricing so I was surprised to see that.

And here are the pictures of the 2 Sheffield variations. I can't tell the difference.

Correct

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/136/cid/12/1989-Upper-Deck-13-Gary-Sheffield

Upside down SS

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/136/cid/13/1989-Upper-Deck-13a-Gary-Sheffield

It is amazing how an established company like Topps made so many number errors in the early 1990s. I see the same numbers all the time on want list. But they duplicated numbers and skipped others on 1992 Stadium Club Baseball, 1992-93 Topps Basketball and 1993-94 (or 1994-95) Stadium Club basketball for starters. Those are just a few examples off the top of my head. You would have figured the duplicate/skipped numbers would have occurred more in the new companies like Score and Upper Deck, instead of a old school card manufacturer like Topps.

Great thread! For those of us who lived through those years, the errors/variations helped give some "uniquesness" to the incredible volume of cards being pushed out.
Fun to see what people know about this.
Boots

I second this. Trading card database is excellent for rooting out variations because they explain them and in most cases they will provide pics of front and backs of cards.

so where do I start but with the junk wax era. I know there were bundles and bundles of errors and I know most, to me, are tick tacky. someone had led me to a database to use their checklists and such and in the options is the errors listing and defines what the errors are for each card.

I know there are some here that collect the errors as part of their master sets, kinda cool, the biggest one is 89 fleer with all the informational errors, bats left instead of right, where the players live, positions wrong and stuff like that.

not in the 89 fleer set but in the upper deck set and now I see from the database is the topps set, one player in particular is gary Sheffield with these errors:

1989 upper deck position upside down. ok is upside down meaning closer to the top is the correct??

1989 topps picture errors or variation, is the word "future star" has different spacing (one is right on top of the hat and one has a gap) then and another listing is that the picture frame is bigger.

apparently there is no price variation in the Sheffields' as beckett only lists once or is that just in the magazine. has anyone else noticed this and anything else in that set like this and does anyone really care??

Steve- Here is my wantlist and traders....let me know if you need any or have any to offer. Thanks.

ERRORS/VARIATIONS WANTED:

DONRUSS
1988 543B Morrison COR (decimal INCLUDED in career bat avg)

FLEER
1981 645B Mike Schmidt COR (card # IS on back)
1982 438A Al Hrabosky (Name spelled "All" on the back and height listed as 5'1")
1988 113B Garth Iorg COR (not Iorq)
1989 61A Danny Heep ERR (Home: Lake Hills, TX)
1989 121A John Moses ERR (Home: Tempe, AZ)
1989 173A Jeff Treadway ERR (target "bullseye" above head, left of emblem on cap)
1989 381B Randy Johnson VAR (Marlboro ad to the right of head)
1989 616A Billy Ripken ("F**k Face")
1989 616B Billy Ripken (Whiteout)
1989 616C Billy Ripken (White scribble)
1989 616D Billy Ripken (Black scribble)
1989 655A Checklist: Twins/Tigers Reds/Brewers ERR (#179 Chris Boslo)
1990 353A Dave Martinez (yellow '90 after Fleer on front)
1990 660B Checklist (normal print on URH corner on front, this is the LARGER font, not the smaller)

TOPPS
1980 387A Fred Stanley (name in yellow on front)
1989 594B Jimy Williams MG COR (blue not white above letter "J" in Jays)
1991 656B Checklist ERR (433 Vincent Palacios)
1991 656C Checklist ERR (438 Vincent Palacios)
1991 692A Efrain Valdez ERR (Born 6/11/66, not July)

SCORE
1989 654A Wade Boggs (seaason mispelled in text on back)

ERRORS/VARIATIONS FOR TRADE:

1982 Topps George Foster AS (No auto on card front) 342B
1985 Donruss Don Mattingly/Dave Winfield (text in white) 651B
1988 Topps Eddie Murray (black box on front) 4A
1988 Topps Al Leiter (photo is Steve George) 18A
1989 Score Roger Clemens (778 career wins) 350A
1989 Topps Jimmy Williams (white spot above "J") 594A
1989 Topps Stan Jefferson (pink triangle) 689A
1989 Topps Franklin Stubbs 697A
1990 Donruss Juan Gonzalez ERR (reverse negative) 33A
1990 Donruss Kevin Hickey ERR (black line thru K) 583A
1990 Donruss Jack Morris ERR (black line thru J) 639A
1990 Fleer George Brett 621A
1991 Topps Pat Borders (40 SB in '86 Kinston, not 0) 49A
1991 Topps F. Valenzuela (20 CG in '86 not Ital, '90 ER w/star) 80A
1991 Topps Brady Anderson (Mon scoreboard Sept 3 hits, 2 RBI) 97A
1991 Topps Checklist (Phil Bradley #727, not 717) 131A
1991 Topps Randy Tomlin ("Harriburg" instead of "Harrisburg" on stat lines 167A
1991 Topps Keith Comstock (Cubs logo on front) 337A
1991 Topps Checklist (Carl Nichols #19, not 119) 366A
1991 Topps Wilson Alvarez (missing '89 Port Char & '90 Birm stat lines) 378A
1991 Topps Checklist (ERR: #719 Kevin McReynolds, #105 Keith Miller) 527A
1991 Topps Mike Walker (ERR: Missing 90 Canton, Akron stat line) 593A
1991 Topps Greg Myers (ERR:Missing '90 Syracuse stat line) 599A
1991 Topps Kevin Gross (ERR '88 stat line BB tie, should be led league) 674A
1991 Topps John Cerutti (ERR '90 ERA 4.46 instead of 4.76) 687A
1991 Topps Brad Arnsburg (ERR: 68.2 IP '90, 144 IP CAR, 3.25 ERA CAR) 706A
1991 Topps Randy Myers (ERR: 15 CAR losses instead of 19) 780A

so with further examination on the 89 topps Sheffield cards, the cards that have the "future stars" on top of the hat are the ones where the frame of the picture is bigger than the other so maybe there is only 2 variations.

I will reread the other replies and grab my pole and go fishing.