Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bench 2017 Sports Talk Thread

If Pop was grandstanding to get sympathy....he shouldn't have told Aldridge to slip his foot under Durant's on a jump shot. It was even more intentional than ZaZa's move....

The NBA at it again...let's rig those ping pong balls and get that kid from UCLA to the Lakers. 1. Celtics. 2. Lakers. 3. Sixers. The teams of the 80's long forgotten.
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

Another close game last night in Boston.....

Also from Beantown...how many concussions did Tom Brady have last year, lets find out from Dr. Bundchen!

Sharapova denied wild card entry to the French Open after her suspension has ended, will she be able to get in via the qualifier route?

Kirby Puckett havelist:

No hoops tonight...but love the fact that Mark Cuban admitted that the Mavs were openly tanking after they were eliminated from the playoff hunt.

Had heard rumors that Mike & Mike were going to end their run, but apparently it is official - by the end of this year, they will both still be with ESPN, but doing different shows.

Is there a more despised team in baseball right now than the Blue Jays - 7 Hit Batters against the Braves and knock Freeman out for up to 10 weeks??? And Joey Bats seems to be right at the top of the list, with Kevin Pillar not to far behind him. As a group, they may need some additional Odor'ing. Looks like Encarnacion made the right choice to jump to C-Town.

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Nice when the two underdogs in the Conference Finals are without their top players. I'm sure ratings are through the roof for these games. And I love how the "experts" who never played past grade school were saying that Kawai was a system player because the Spurs were 8-1 without him. 8-1 against who though ad under what circumstances? Funny how guys who actually played at the highest level say he is the best two way player in the league.

I gotta say I was surprised that Anthony Davis made first team All NBA. He may be the physically best center in the league but at some point his physical talent needs to translate into wins and playoff appearances especially in an overall weak NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicMetal View Post
    Nice when the two underdogs in the Conference Finals are without their top players. I'm sure ratings are through the roof for these games. And I love how the "experts" who never played past grade school were saying that Kawai was a system player because the Spurs were 8-1 without him. 8-1 against who though ad under what circumstances? Funny how guys who actually played at the highest level say he is the best two way player in the league.

I gotta say I was surprised that Anthony Davis made first team All NBA. He may be the physically best center in the league but at some point his physical talent needs to translate into wins and playoff appearances especially in an overall weak NBA.
    If you were running the show in New Orleans would you trade Davis to Boston for the #1 pick? If I was Danny Ainge I would make this trade in a minute. And it may make sense for New Orleans since they have Cousins and may noit be able to afford Davis and Cousins. But maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part.

I was also wondering who you will be rooting for in the Finals.
    1975 Topps Minis: 362/660 55% complete
    1972 Topps: 762/787 97% complete
    1971 Topps: 678/752 90% complete
    1960 Topps: 500/572 87% complete

If I am NO there is no way I'd make that trade involving Davis. But I would trade Cousins for it. I wonder if the Celtics would take that risk? Or maybe they would trade Isaiah Thomas for a quality big man and use the #1 pick for a point guard. I know it is an odd take to suggest trading Thomas but he is only 5'9" and I can't see anyone winning with their best player being that small. He'd be too much of a defensive liability for a legit title contender.

So in summation if I am NO I would not trade Davis for the #1 pick and if I am Boston I would not trade the #1 for Cousins.

You'll be shocked to find out that I'll very much be rooting for Cleveland in the Finals. I don't want to see front runner Durant winning a title after his "if you can't beat them, join them" move. I mean, he joined a team that set the record for wins and we are supposed to praise him for being a champion?? Durant has always had a ton of talent around him but only has one Western Conference title to show for it. When things got tough, Durant did not get going. So I'm very much rooting for James despite some of his annoying antics. He is worthy of the praise heaped on him and his talents translate into Conference Championships and NBA titles.

Well I did post earlier that I thought Boston would win game three. When I said that I assumed Thomas would be playing and that the game was in Boston. The way this playoffs has unfolded, it was hard to think that Boston was the higher seed!

Weird game last night! For some reason I started watching in the second half and there was no indication that the Celtics were going to mount a comeback halfway through the third as the lead grew to 20+ points. For some unexplained reason, I kept watching the game and the Celtics kept making shots. I figured C-town would still put them away but they never did and we all saw what happened.

The one thing I could not understand was why LeBron did not just start taking the ball strong to the hole. He is virtually unstoppable when driving but for some reason he settled for jump shots or did the drive and dish routine (mostly to three point shooters) instead of going right to the rim. Everyone has bad games but why he played like that is a mystery. He only took 6 free throws last night which does indicate his lack of taking the ball to the basket. I know the announcers say he was "out of rhythm" but you don't need to be in rhythm when shooting from point blank range. The whole game was just strange.

I went to bed at half time. Up by 16 I figured it was over. I am not going to lie. This scares me a little. LeBron just needs to take over and end this series. I hope Cleveland takes the next two games and then on to the Finals.

If you just watched the first half and I just watched the second half, we lierally watched two different games.

The best way I can describe LeBron's play is that if you were knowledgeable in basketball but were not familiar with any of the players, you would have viewed LeBron just another guy. It was really weird to see him just blend into the crowd. He certainly did not do what James Harden did against the Spurs in the final game but he was "just there".....for lack of a better description.

The only thing that is worrisome for the Cavs is the more games you play the more chance of injury and the playoffs have seen a lot of major players go down with injury this year.........Parker, Leonard, Griffin, Thomas etc etc. LeBron is probably correct that this is a wake up call for the Cavs as long as they suffer no significant injuries in any extra games.

I do have to say Tristan Thompson had a heck of a good half. He really is an old school big man and you'll probably remember that he destroyed the Warriors last year in the Finals. I have always wondered why there are not NBA players who model their game after Dennis Rodman's (w/o the extracirricular antics). Reggie Miller says that is exactly who Thompson models his game after and he too was saying more players should do that. Even though the NBA is different nowadays, it has not changed that much where lock down defense, rebounding on both ends of the floor and high energy I play is no longer needed. As a matter of fact, it is probably more needed now than ever! Thompson is by far my favorite Cav and I wish he were a Spur because he is exactly what they need.

Speaking of Reggie Miller he was on PTI. Kornheiser asked him if he thought Lorenzo Ball would have a target on his back when he enters the league. Reggie said of course he will. A giant target on his back. His father may have good intentions but he needs to realize he is not doing his son any favors. I am beginning to wonder if his dad will be banned from the locker room. He is most likely going to the Lakers who are already a train wreck. Paul George going there may help a little but I think him and Russell may clash. Luke Walton may have his hands full with this mess. Hopefully Magic will come in and lay down the law and this franchise can get back to some form of respectability.

And now the Warriors will just sit and wait until June 1st to see who they play. Hoping it will be the Celtics, but not holding my breath. I really don't have a vested interest in who wins the NBA Championship, I usually pull for the team that has a Tar Heel on it, and if I am correct, the Cavs do not have one..all they have is a Dukie (Irving). The Spurs had Danny Green. The Warriors have James Michael McAdoo. The Celtics have Tyler Zeller.

The comparisons are always there, but no way that Jordan would disappear in a game like LeBron did, especially not at home! And than to challenge the heckler..c'mon King, you are supposed to be better than that.

If I am the Celtics, I hold onto the #1 pick, take Fultz and than get a Paul George or Jimmy Butler in free agency, dump Isiah Thomas next year and make your run as LeBron winds down his career.

Or if you are Danny Ainge, do you take the kid from UCLA, just to watch that kids dads head explode. Reggie Miller is correct, there will be a huge target on the kids back, curious to see how his dad will deal it.

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Quote Originally Posted by katester44 View Post
    And now the Warriors will just sit and wait until June 1st to see who they play. Hoping it will be the Celtics, but not holding my breath. I really don't have a vested interest in who wins the NBA Championship, I usually pull for the team that has a Tar Heel on it, and if I am correct, the Cavs do not have one..all they have is a Dukie (Irving). The Spurs had Danny Green. The Warriors have James Michael McAdoo. The Celtics have Tyler Zeller.

The comparisons are always there, but no way that Jordan would disappear in a game like LeBron did, especially not at home! And than to challenge the heckler..c'mon King, you are supposed to be better than that.

If I am the Celtics, I hold onto the #1 pick, take Fultz and than get a Paul George or Jimmy Butler in free agency, dump Isiah Thomas next year and make your run as LeBron winds down his career.

Or if you are Danny Ainge, do you take the kid from UCLA, just to watch that kids dads head explode. Reggie Miller is correct, there will be a huge target on the kids back, curious to see how his dad will deal it.
    I am pretty sure Jordan disappeared for 3 or 4 years.

I don't watch the games but so happy to hear that Durant is going to the finals w/o the OKC Plunder. I hope he wins it and Clay Bennett and the Plunder fans feel at least 1% of the heartbreak I had to feel these last 10 years.
    My TTM/Auto Set Wantlist

See my SICK Roy Oswalt patch card HERE

Quote Originally Posted by mm1sub View Post
    I am pretty sure Jordan disappeared for 3 or 4 years.
    It was only two....if he could have hit a curveball, maybe it would have gotten to 3 or 4!!! Without that break, MJ and the Bulls would have gone to 8 straight Finals and probably won all 8, crushing Hakeem and Kenny Smiths legacies!

Quote Originally Posted by worldwideed View Post
    I don't watch the games but so happy to hear that Durant is going to the finals w/o the OKC Plunder. I hope he wins it and Clay Bennett and the Plunder fans feel at least 1% of the heartbreak I had to feel these last 10 years.
    Ahh...love it! The vote for Durant and the Warriors out of spite! Everyone has their reasons for backing the team they do. And I completely understand this one!!

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Chris Broussard and some Fox Sports host were comparing Jordan's bad playoff games (and he had several0 to LeBron's one the other day and they said a difference was Jordan would always try to shoot his way out of his slump where LeBron just kind of disappeared. I was thinking along the lines of what Richard Jefferson was saying that LeBron may have had flu-like symptoms.

I was shocked to turn the game on last night and see the Cavs down by 10 in the 3rd quarter. I did not see what fouls got LeBron into foul trouble but the Cavs dodged a bullet last night with both escaping with a 3-1 lead and the fact that Irving was OK after what appeared to be a very nasty turned ankle. I thought for sure he was going to miss some serious time after I saw that.

One thing I don't understand with the Cavs is if LeBron's outside shot is not falling (game 3) or he is in foul trouble (game 4) why not have plays where he posts up?? Unless he drops his shoulder and goes through the defender's chest there is almost no chance of him picking up an offensive foul (like there is on a drive to the basket) and he would be near impossible to stop in the low block with his upper body size and strength. Who is going to handle that guy in the low block?.