Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Camsue View Post
    Eye of the tiger survivor
    Not a one-hit-wonder. "Caught in the Game" was a small hit (and a good song)

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to upstatenyredsoxfan's ebay items
    Go to jaybo374's comc items

While there are several good one hit wonders who had lightning in a bottle, the one that comes to mind; "All Right Now" by Free in 1970. Although I was not born until a few years after this was released and peaked, I heard it a lot throughout my childhood in the 70s and 80s from older siblings of my friends.

Now I'm not a music historian but I believe this was their only hit and the band broke up a few years later with its members joining or forming other groups.
    my set wantlist

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Wish this one had been top 3 or top 5 - so many to choose (and some great selections so far).

She is still around, still making music, but she only had one true mainstream hit - Tori Amos/Crucify - one of my favorite songs of all time.

And going back - who could forget Bow Wow Wow/I Want Candy.

Super easy to get the IPod loaded up right now! Now that we have Best Songs, Best Covers, Best One Hit Wonders - How long until we get Best Album. Best Live Album. Best Collaboration.
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

Bench User Page has my most wanted and trade lists for 2011/12 Topps

wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to sak0309's ebay items

Beds are Burning -- Midnight Oil

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to jkordic31's ebay items

Steal My Sunshine by LEN

Admit it, you like it too.

My favorite, however is and will always be Safety Dance by Men Without Hats
    AUTOGRAPH TRADE LIST | AUTOGRAPH WANT LIST | BLOG | INDOOR SOCCER PROJECT

Always open to trade! Message me if you have something I need (or vice versa)

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Interesting on Tori Amos being a one hit wonder. Her music is so different, it is hard to say what type of radio station she would have been played on even back in her heyday in the 1990s. I would have guessed she would have been a "no hit wonder" which is not a slight on her music by any means. She always put out interesting and pleasant sounding music but what genre it would have fit in is a tough question. I guess she would be put in the Alt-Rock category which seems to be where artists get put into when they don't put out a standard or easily categorized style of music.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicMetal View Post
    Interesting on Tori Amos being a one hit wonder. Her music is so different, it is hard to say what type of radio station she would have been played on even back in her heyday in the 1990s. I would have guessed she would have been a "no hit wonder" which is not a slight on her music by any means. She always put out interesting and pleasant sounding music but what genre it would have fit in is a tough question. I guess she would be put in the Alt-Rock category which seems to be where artists get put into when they don't put out a standard or easily categorized style of music.
    Yeah, musically, she is different. I always saw her as Indie-Folk. Crucify wasn't a major hit, but it is the only song of hers that I can recognize immediately upon hearing it. She probably would have been bigger if satellite radio was around when she broke in.

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to rodhebner's comc items

Remember seeing her (Oakland CA-Paramount Theatre) early 00's....really put on a great show.
    Current Wantlist (Schmidt/Gladden/Vintage/Newer): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rive_web#gid=0
    Current Tradelist (Modern Inserts): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Xc&usp=sharing

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by mrhaverkamp View Post
    Remember seeing her (Oakland CA-Paramount Theatre) early 00's....really put on a great show.
    Anytime a group of people can evolve from bashing LeBron in one thread to praising Tori Amos in another thread - that is a diverse group of people! And quite frankly, a group I want to be a part of.

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

I can imagine Tori Amos is outstanding live. I cannot believe she plays two pianos (or two keyboard instruments) at the same time. And I don't think this is done by any playback trickery either. That is an amazing feat!

I think she may have gotten exposure through her videos in the early-mid 1990s on MTV and VH-1. That is how I discovered her. And she is a pretty good album seller too with her first five albums going platinum including her first two going 2X platinum. I know I bought at least one of her albums (cassettes LOL) back in the day.

I think her music can be described as not everyone's cup of tea but it is virtually impossible to say her music sucks or is of low quality. It is just too melodic, well put together, skillfully executed and easy on the ear for anyone to ever say that.

And her looks are as unique as her music is. She may be the most unique looking, very attractive woman I have ever seen. I can't think of anyone who looks like her to be honest.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

I can imagine Tori Amos is outstanding live. I cannot believe she plays two pianos (or two keyboard instruments) at the same time. And I don't think this is done by any playback trickery either. That is an amazing feat!

I think she may have gotten exposure through her videos in the early-mid 1990s on MTV and VH-1. That is how I discovered her. And she is a pretty good album seller too with her first five albums going platinum including her first two going 2X platinum. I know I bought at least one of her albums (cassettes LOL) back in the day.

I think her music can be described as not everyone's cup of tea but it is virtually impossible to say her music sucks or is of low quality. It is just too melodic, well put together, skillfully executed and easy on the ear for anyone to ever say that.

And her looks are as unique as her music is. She may be the most unique looking, very attractive woman I have ever seen. I can't think of anyone who looks like her to be honest.

5x platinum....with only one song that is remotely recognizable to the masses. I would definitely say that qualifies as successful without ever being mainstream. And to be doing it for almost two decades, gotta give her props. Have never seen her live, but if she were ever to put on a show in this area, would be there in a heartbeat. And yes, a distinct look, but found her very attractive from the get go!

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

I'm going to cheat a little and give you a song from a group that was a 2 hit wonder with their hits coming in 1973 and 1982.

Radar Love by Golden Earring.

Some surprising things about this group and song.

1) Golden Earring is a Dutch rock band. That surprised the heck out of me. I thought for sure they were American. Heck, they don't even pronounce the "th" sound as a "d" like so many of their fellow countrymen seem to do.

2) The official video is just so dorky. It is so far from the tough guy sound of the song it is hilarious.

3) The band looked nothing like I imagined. I assumed they looked like they were in the cast of Sons of Anarchy but they looked nothing like that. Or like Lynyrd Skynyrd at least .I guess you can't tell a book by its' contents. LOL
    White Lion did a popular version of Radar Love, though my favorite White Lion songs are "Wait" and "Little Fighter"
    "For nothing will be impossible for God" ~ Luke 1:37

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to tigger0008's ebay items
    Go to David K.'s comc items

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9R7vlM_zbI Love grows where my rosemary goes! Edison lighthouse with Tony Burrows!! He's a five time hit wonder with 5 different bands!!!!!
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

The famous song by The Divinyls was mentioned which would be a one hit wonder. For some reason I am drawing a blank on that song's title! LOL!

Also "What's Up" by 4 Non Blondes would be another one hit wonder. I don't think they ever had another decently charted song besides that very famous one.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

[QUOTE=HockeyBrawler;3730128]Steal My Sunshine by LEN

Admit it, you like it too.
    /QUOTE]

DO I LIKE IT? Do the words CATCHIEST SONG EVER WRITTEN come to mind????
    "For nothing will be impossible for God" ~ Luke 1:37