What would you do? Set collecting question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ajax44

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
I was at a thrift store, and there was a bag filled with 2013 Gypsy King cards, along with some 2014 and 2015 Topps Chrome cards. It was $10, so I picked it up. There wound up being 164 of the 350 base cards. I know there are 25 variants to the base as well. I have 43.7% of the set.

So I am 24 cards from half the base set. What would you do with it? Trade it to work on a different set need, or try to complete the set?

I don't know much about the set you are talking about but it sounds like it is something I would use as trade bait. 43% of the set is not that high of a percentage to start a set. And I have a feeling you lack even a less percentage when it comes to % of BV of the cards you need.

I only start sets if I have the key cards. For instance, I won't even think about starting a 1982 Topps Baseball set unless I have the Ripken RC first. Because as sure as anything, I'd get all the rest of the cards and have the Ripken RC on my want list for ages.

I ran into a similar situation where I picked up a near complete 2006 Turkey Red Baseball set where I lacked 4 or 5 base cards and half of the SPs. 7 or 8 years later I still need one common base card and I have only picked up 2 or 3 of the SPs. I am heavily thinking about trading it as it does not look like I am going to complete it anytime soon and I am not trading away the farm to get those SPs which are merely manufactured scarcity.

So unless you have most of the expensive cards in that set, I'd suggest you trade it either as a whole or piecemeal.

simple -

if you like the set , go for it ....if you dont like it or are indifferent toward it , then use it to acquire something else you like more...

You could post a thread asking for small or large lots of the set. There must be a few people who bought the product and either didn't finish the set or just bought packs for the fun of it. Ebay might also provide lots and short prints. But 2013 might be hard to find now.

simple -

if you like the set , go for it ....if you dont like it or are indifferent toward it , then use it to acquire something else you like more...

Second this. If you like the way the set looks, build it. If you don't, get rid of it for something you do want.