Topps #7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I believe it was 2006, 10 years after they retired it, then ran for 10 years (2006-2015). and in 2016 again no #7.
Partially true...

They retired #7 in 1997 (I think) and did not issue one until 2006. In 2006 the Mantle estate reached a deal with Topps for 7 years (2006-2012) to issue his image on cards, including the base set #7. There was an insert set in the '06 set that included the 'back issues' of the missing cards. From 2013-2016, there was no #7 card issued at all (like the 97-05 sets), but 2017 they broke from this idea to give Gary Sanchez the spot.

Confusing, yes, but maybe Topps will just keep issuing a #7 card now.

I was in a livestream box break done directly by Topps and they said that they gave it to Sanchez strictly because he was a Yankee and thought it would be a nice tribute, and said it would probably be pretty rare to see another one unless another Yankees claims it.

I was in a livestream box break done directly by Topps and they said that they gave it to Sanchez strictly because he was a Yankee and thought it would be a nice tribute, and said it would probably be pretty rare to see another one unless another Yankees claims it.

Interesting. Best regards, David