Possibly buying Complete Sets, need help on fair offer price....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chavezforprez

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I have the opportunity to purchase the following complete sets from a co-worker, but unsure of a fair offer price. All look to be in NRMT-MNT condition. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Billy

Factory Sets
83 Topps Traded BV $40
84 Topps Traded BV $30
85 Topps Traded BV $8
86 Topps Traded BV $30
87 Topps Traded BV $12
88 Topps Traded BV $8
89 Topps Traded BV $10
89 Upper Deck BV $60 (x2)
90 Topps Traded BV $3
90 Upper Deck High #'s BV $5 (x2)
91 Upper Deck BV $20

Hand Built
83 Topps BV $80
84 Topps BV $50
85 Topps BV $50
85 Donruss BV $50
86 Topps BV $25 (x2)
87 Topps BV $25
87 Donruss BV $40 (x2)
88 Fleer BV $15

2 questions -

are the factory sets sealed ?

would you be the end user or would you be picking them up with the intent to move them ?

If you are keeping them for your collection then I would say 200.00 would be a fair price. Obviously most of the collectors already have those sets so it would tough to trade them. And shipping would be brutal. If you are selling them then I would go with 100.00. He may be offended by that offer because a lot of people thought they were going to put their kids through college with this stuff when it first came out and think they are sitting on a gold mine.

Hope this helps,

Bryon

If you are keeping them for your collection then I would say 200.00 would be a fair price. Obviously most of the collectors already have those sets so it would tough to trade them. And shipping would be brutal. If you are selling them then I would go with 100.00. He may be offended by that offer because a lot of people thought they were going to put their kids through college with this stuff when it first came out and think they are sitting on a gold mine.

Hope this helps,

Bryon

I echo Bryon's thoughts. One price if you are keeping, a different price if you are thinking of selling. And I think the $200/$100 split is fairly reasonable, maybe go to $250/$125, but no higher - they aren't the most desirable years to own/chase down.

If you decide to buy to resell, let me know, I would be interested in the 1983 Topps set.

Billy -
Different methodology, but agree that $200 is a good price. Even if you are going to resell them, you should be good, it is just as Bryon said, most of those are tough sells and it will take some time to turn your profit. Having sold some sets at shows, the factory sealed ones sell much quicker than the hand collated ones.

Hope that helps.

Robert

Hope this helps,

Bryon

You could not be righter Bryon, when my Dad was alive, he worked for a non-profit agency in Chicago, and his boss had some full sets that he let me look at. His boss told him that the UD set with the Griffey rookie was worth $5,000 (I had to break the realistic news to him that his boss was dreaming!!)

Love the statement about the thought of putting their kids through college, I remember pulling a few cards in the 80s that I thought would be my retirement fund too!

Thank you all for the input and advice. Mainly looking to buy and add to my collection, but would be willing to trade/sell the sets I already own. Most of the sets are factory (sets divided above), but I agree they are the tougher years to sell/trade.

Thanks again,
Billy