April pickups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just back from PSA...

-1973 Topps #615 Rookie Third Basemen/Cey/Hilton RC/Schmidt RC PSA 7 NM
PSA71973ToppsMJS001_zpsd2y1o7ly.jpg

-1958 Topps #487 Mickey Mantle AS TP PSA 6 EX-MT
PSA61958ToppsMantleAS001_zpsrxibvmtr.jpg

Very nice! You don't get to see very many NM7 John Hilton RC's!

Many years ago there was a big controversy in one of the weekly sports card publications because someone was offering to buy 1973 John Hilton rookies for a very low price in the classified ad section. Part of the controversy was about the publication printing an obvious rip off advertisement. If memory serves the publication finally stopped printing the ad. Unfortunately rip off artists are one of the reasons that the sports card hobby took a nosedive over the years. Man, I have run into some real scumbags that owned card stores over the years that really hurt the hobby.

Many years ago there was a big controversy in one of the weekly sports card publications because someone was offering to buy 1973 John Hilton rookies for a very low price in the classified ad section. Part of the controversy was about the publication printing an obvious rip off advertisement. If memory serves the publication finally stopped printing the ad. Unfortunately rip off artists are one of the reasons that the sports card hobby took a nosedive over the years. Man, I have run into some real scumbags that owned card stores over the years that really hurt the hobby.

Jeff,

You could not be righter! For all the great people I have come across in this hobby, there are some real jerks too, out for themselves and to make a buck. Ticket scalpers fall into that same category for me.

I remember when I was little, growing up in LaGrange, there was a baseball card store right next to my aunt and uncle's beauty parlor. I used to get my haircut, and when Gram was getting her hair done, she would give me a few dollars, and I would go next door and spend time looking at all the cards, and buy a few, generally a pack or two as well. That shop is long gone, but the guys who owned it could not have been nicer, and always directed me to the best cards for my money. I thought I could retire on what i was buying I am sure, but the memories are the greatest!

I am thankful for the bench and this great community, I would say everyone here are fantastic people!

God Bless,

Kevin

Really sweet Schmidt RC Craig and cool non-sport autos are always fun. I've opened 3 cases of cards in my life and 2 of them were non-sports. The other was 2006 Topps WWE Heritage Chrome lol.

Benedict Samuel has done a stellar job as the Mad Hatter on Gotham this season. Seasons of this show have gotten better and better.

Anywho,I have a friend who's a big Bernie Williams/Yankees collector and I try to hook him up with rare ones when I see them. In return,he let's me know when he pulls good Mets and Pujols cards. Picked up a nice Bernie from criollos last month along with a Don Mattingly auto I pulled from a Donruss box and was able to pick this up from him (along with future considerations):

34018870656_60639e65dc_k.jpgUntitled by Brett Blair, on Flickr

Thanks,
Brett

Nice pickups!! Love the Segal and Kershaw especially! I have had a busy month and just able to get on. I have a few but this will be my last month until August. I have a four-month course I have to attend in DC - but when I get home :)

Go Big Blue!

-2016 Panini Kentucky Honors #ADUK Anthony Davis PSA 9 MINT
PSA9AD2016UK001_zpscn6uqzmz.jpg

-2016 Panini Kentucky Honors #KTUK Karl-Anthony Towns PSA 9 MINT
PSA9KAT2016UK001_zpszl68qneo.jpg

Some fabulous stuff there, and Dewayne, is there anyone else that has any Lou Gehrig stuff, or do you have everything by now??? Super-SUPER collector, right there! Awesome pickups!

Some fabulous stuff there, and Dewayne, is there anyone else that has any Lou Gehrig stuff, or do you have everything by now??? Super-SUPER collector, right there! Awesome pickups!

Haha. I get into bidding wars on eBay all the time lol. There are some die-hards out there. I can't afford the uber-rich stuff like the patches, pairings with Babe Ruth (although I do have a few), early pre-war cards, and jumbo swatch stuff. And there are a lot of 1/1s, particularly printing plates, that are just more than I want to pay. But thank you!

Haha. I get into bidding wars on eBay all the time lol. There are some die-hards out there. I can't afford the uber-rich stuff like the patches, pairings with Babe Ruth (although I do have a few), early pre-war cards, and jumbo swatch stuff. And there are a lot of 1/1s, particularly printing plates, that are just more than I want to pay. But thank you!

You are welcome, its a phenomenal collection you have, and truly one of the greatest players ever! Lou, Babe, Mantle, DiMaggio are players who were the upper echelon of all time, along with Musial, Williams, Aaron, Mays: I feel like many of the HOFers now are more greats of the era, than greats of all time. That having been said, Johnson, Maddux, Martinez, Griffey: probably would stack up against the all time greats pretty well!

Probably a topic for another thread, but seeing all your Gehrig stuff, and thinking of all the great teams of the 20s, 30s, 40s and later truly reminds me that this is the greatest game of all!

God bless,

Kevin

Last edited: