July Pickups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I had lots of non-sports cards when I was a kid. Got rid of most, but kept a few hundred of assorted sets. After getting back into collecting in general in the 90s, I got sucked in to a few non-sports issues that had subjects I was interested in at the time. I bought a ton of the Skybox Simpsons and Ren & Stimpy foil cards than gave up unless it was sports.

Recently I have picked up a few autographed cards for a project I am working on. Robert Loggia for example. These are actors that were once in the Magnum PI series. Seems several were also in Star Trek, so that is cool that I can grab some certified autos of these folks. in looking for a few names, it seems some of the "bigger" stars command top dollar compared to say sports. I am not talking about box-office heavies, names like DennisHaysbert, Sharon Stone, Dana Delaney, etc. I guess I am clueless about the non-sports market though.

I had lots of non-sports cards when I was a kid. Got rid of most, but kept a few hundred of assorted sets. After getting back into collecting in general in the 90s, I got sucked in to a few non-sports issues that had subjects I was interested in at the time. I bought a ton of the Skybox Simpsons and Ren & Stimpy foil cards than gave up unless it was sports.

Recently I have picked up a few autographed cards for a project I am working on. Robert Loggia for example. These are actors that were once in the Magnum PI series. Seems several were also in Star Trek, so that is cool that I can grab some certified autos of these folks. in looking for a few names, it seems some of the "bigger" stars command top dollar compared to say sports. I am not talking about box-office heavies, names like DennisHaysbert, Sharon Stone, Dana Delaney, etc. I guess I am clueless about the non-sports market though.[/QUOTE

Getting good non-sport autos can be lots of work. One day a card maybe $60 the next month it will jump up to $150/$300 for no reason. Movie and TV show makes a difference. A Walking Dead or James Bond card will jump the price up. If you see one you like at a good price pull the Trigger. I missed out on a Ashley Judd and Salma Hayek cards at $99 each last ones I saw were $200/$300. Of the 315 autos I have only two I felt I over paid on.

I didnt realize the wild price variations, is that based on collectors' demand, lack of product, what do you think? I remember when the Big Bang Theory cards came out, people trading main character AU cards and asking high BV amounts in return....

Big name stars go for good money Angelina Jolie and Salma Hayek go for 500/800. Melissa Rauch her True Blood auto goes for around $40 but her Big Bang auto goes for around $200. The hotter the movie or TV show the higher the price. You can pick up some autos from the Leaf or Panini sets for less.

I've always thought this was one of the best looking Baseball Cards ever produced. I finally decided to grab one.

Thanks
Craig

-1953 Bowman Color #33 *** Wee Reese
https://flic.kr/p/WBwbui

When I was in high school my father bought some cards off a guy he worked with for 90.00. I figured they were nothing special but when he brought them home they were 1953 Bowman Colors. The mantle was in there as well as the card you just got. I sold the mantle when I was in high school and had a blast with the money. But I still have that exact Reese card you just got.

That is a neat card, I have never seen that one before! What cool action photography for 1953! Thanks for sharing, fun to see!

God Bless,

Kevin

When I was in high school my father bought some cards off a guy he worked with for 90.00. I figured they were nothing special but when he brought them home they were 1953 Bowman Colors. The mantle was in there as well as the card you just got. I sold the mantle when I was in high school and had a blast with the money. But I still have that exact Reese card you just got.

That's a great memory to have! My father would have brought me 1988 Topps! It's awesome that you've kept the Reese all these years!

Thanks
Craig

*I won't ask what you spent the Mantle money on!

That is a neat card, I have never seen that one before! What cool action photography for 1953! Thanks for sharing, fun to see!

God Bless,

Kevin

I agree. I knew a lot about Reese, being from the same state and with him living in the same city for a long time. After buying the card, I decided to visit his Wikipedia page. I learned a lot about him that I didn't know. Like how little time he spent playing baseball and how he came to be a Dodger. Really quick and really informative read if anyone wants to check it out...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pee_Wee_Reese

Thanks
Craig

Very neat article! Thanks for sharing. I was not aware that Reese had missed three seasons due to Military service, as so many players did during WWII. Truly an honorable man, a fact even more evident based upon his support for, and friendship with Jackie Robinson. I had read about the petition the players had circulated, and for PeeWee to refuse to sign, and shake Jackie's hand, truly was a step forward for race relations. I wonder if he was aware at the time how significant those simple actions were?

Thanks again for posting, God bless!

Kevin

PS: if you haven't seen it yet, the movie "42" was a very good portrayal of Jackie and PeeWee, as well as Branch Rickey and the other Dodgers of the time.