Disappointment or Frustration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seal006

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I cannot decide if what I am feeling is disappointment or frustration. I have bought a lot of baseball product this year. A LOT. I have been hoping to make some trades for the cards I am looking for on my want list. I know my focus is pretty narrow, but surely some of those cards are out there. I have had people here offer to purchase some of my cards when they do not have any of my needs. I sell on eBay as well. It helps fuel my buying habit, not really making a profit. Yet it seems folks here do not want to pay anything for these cards that are very hard to acquire. They all want them, yet they act as if I should just give them away. So not being able to acquire my needs in trade or sell items at a reasonable price has got me feeling either frustrated or disappointed. I just cannot decide which it is. Does anyone else have these same feelings? I like having cards that people find desirable, but what good are they if we cannot come to a deal?

This site is definitely more about trading and with newer product trade value is a little harder to judge. When making a trade it takes 2 people who are willing to negotiate what they feel is fair. As everyone here has found out a time or 2, is that people usually find fair to mean heavily in their favor. The site also used to have many many more active members, so finding a trade was much easier. Obviously if you do sell on here it should be below ebay since you aren't paying the 10% seller fee, but with the ammount of people on ebay, that definitely is a much better choice then here as far as selling the rarer new product.

I cannot decide if what I am feeling is disappointment or frustration. I have bought a lot of baseball product this year. A LOT. I have been hoping to make some trades for the cards I am looking for on my want list. I know my focus is pretty narrow, but surely some of those cards are out there. I have had people here offer to purchase some of my cards when they do not have any of my needs. I sell on eBay as well. It helps fuel my buying habit, not really making a profit. Yet it seems folks here do not want to pay anything for these cards that are very hard to acquire. They all want them, yet they act as if I should just give them away. So not being able to acquire my needs in trade or sell items at a reasonable price has got me feeling either frustrated or disappointed. I just cannot decide which it is. Does anyone else have these same feelings? I like having cards that people find desirable, but what good are they if we cannot come to a deal?

I have frustration as well a little different but none the less its hard at times i give cards away at times. but yes it seems as if some want cards for next to nothing. i forone will keep my eyes open for Astos cards for you.

This site is definitely more about trading and with newer product trade value is a little harder to judge. When making a trade it takes 2 people who are willing to negotiate what they feel is fair. As everyone here has found out a time or 2, is that people usually find fair to mean heavily in their favor. The site also used to have many many more active members, so finding a trade was much easier. Obviously if you do sell on here it should be below ebay since you aren't paying the 10% seller fee, but with the ammount of people on ebay, that definitely is a much better choice then here as far as selling the rarer new product.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am good with just trading on here. I have never initiated a selling opportunity. I have bought a lot on here the past couple of months as well. My feelings stem from when the other person wants to purchase a card or two from me, but do not want to pay what I feel is fair. had one member want a bunch of Aaron Judge cards from me because they could not hit any of my wants. I told them I would rather trade, but if they wanted to purchase I offered them at 75% of BV with free shipping. This person log into the site several times today and never once answered my offer. I eventually just wrote them back and said I was withdrawing the offer as I was getting offers at full BV on many that he wanted. Folks could at least have the decency to answer an offer. As for fees, I have an eBay store and I am a powerseller, so my fees are a lot less. Just venting is all. Do people not realize how much product you have to buy to hit an Aaron Judge auto??? Packs are not cheap.

I have frustration as well a little different but none the less its hard at times i give cards away at times. but yes it seems as if some want cards for next to nothing. i forone will keep my eyes open for Astos cards for you.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I too have given cards away on here. It is not that big a deal for a few low dollar cards that can help someone out. I just do not feel that people understand is all. If they do understand, and are still like that, well I do not know how people can be like that.

Truthfully you're probably feeling a little of both disappointment & frustration as we all do sometimes with this hobby we all share. I collect a good handful of players & even with over 1,000 stars inserts, refractors & #ed cards it's harder than cement to find certain cards that I need which is disappointing. Sometimes I buy my PC cards but like to buy a few at a time if at all possible which is not too often & that is frustrating to me. In short this hobby is a pain in the butt & like every bad habit it's hard to break so I just keep truckin & try to enjoy it the best I can.

Yup, I have been buying and selling cards for just ove 35 years now. Life was so much simpler before Beckett and eBay.

Yup, I have been buying and selling cards for just ove 35 years now. Life was so much simpler before Beckett and eBay.

I'm 55 i started collecting at age 8 so been at it for a long time some people just don't get it and others are always looking to get the upper hand on someone.

For me it's frustration more than disappointment. I'm on about 5 different sites and this site has the best group of like-minded traders and collectors by far. The closer I get to finishing a set or the more Pujols cards I get,the harder it will be to find ones I need (obviously). I'll maybe think of another set I wanna make or think of something else to collect and that'll drum up more trades. Right now it's collecting Topps brand RCs and pondering the idea of a 2017 Bowman Platinum Ice parallel set.

As far as getting crazy offers,I just tell them no and that'll be it. Never be afraid to tell someone no. Seems that many people choose to not reply at all instead of turning me down and that bugs me more than anything.

I saw your Archives thread the other day,saw a card I liked and checked your wantlist. Didn't have anything you needed so not gonna reply knowing I didn't have anything you needed from your Astros wants. Sometimes people list 100 Pujols cards and ask if I need them when they can just look at my Pujols havelist on my site and see for themselves. That kinda frustrates me too.

Last edited:
For me it's frustration more than disappointment. I'm on about 5 different sites and this site has the best group of like-minded traders and collectors by far. The closer I get to finishing a set or the more Pujols cards I get,the harder it will be to find ones I need (obviously). I'll maybe think of another set I wanna make or think of something else to collect and that'll drum up more trades. Right now it's collecting Topps brand RCs and pondering the idea of a 2017 Bowman Platinum Ice parallel set.

As far as getting crazy offers,I just tell them no and that'll be it. Never be afraid to tell someone no. Seems that many people choose to not reply at all instead of turning me down and that bugs me more than anything.

I saw your Archives thread the other day,saw a card I liked and checked your wantlist. Didn't have anything you needed so not gonna reply knowing I didn't have anything you needed from your Astros wants. Sometimes people list 100 Pujols cards and ask if I need them when they can just look at my Pujols havelist on my site and see for themselves. That kinda frustrates me too.

Thank you for the reply. The thing is I am pretty easy to trade with. I am open to other things so long as they are decent offers. For instance, do not come and offer me a Lucas Harrell auto when you do not see Lucas Harrell's name on any of my want lists. And yes, have the decency to respond. What has really gotten me today is that I have had a ton of interest on my Nolan Ryan auto. When they ask if I am open to trade + cash I tell them yes, with a list of what I am generally looking for. Then they come back with, "give me a couple of days and I will see what I can come up with." A couple of days??? I have been getting inquiries at a rate of one every couple of hours. I am not gonna sit and wait for you to come up with something, or worse, not even get back to me.

I used to buy new product but ended up with hundreds of cards that I had no interest in keeping and could barely give away. Haven't bought a new pack in 5 years for that reason.

Given the current landscape of the hobby, it just seems easier for a player collector like me to find individual cards I need at good prices than to bust new packs to trade. I've also found that MANY people are too busy/lazy to look through my havelists and tradelists. I spend hours and hours on them only to have people tell me that they don't check tradelists/havelists.

It's really a shame because I don't really care what I have to trade away for cards I need. Wish more people were that way but I understand both sides.

I used to buy new product but ended up with hundreds of cards that I had no interest in keeping and could barely give away. Haven't bought a new pack in 5 years for that reason.

Given the current landscape of the hobby, it just seems easier for a player collector like me to find individual cards I need at good prices than to bust new packs to trade. I've also found that MANY people are too busy/lazy to look through my havelists and tradelists. I spend hours and hours on them only to have people tell me that they don't check tradelists/havelists.

It's really a shame because I don't really care what I have to trade away for cards I need. Wish more people were that way but I understand both sides.

I can understand that point. Thing is people like you need people like me that open a lot of product. Otherwise the cards you really want would just be sitting on a shelf in Walmart. That is the point I am trying to convey.

I can understand that point. Thing is people like you need people like me that open a lot of product. Otherwise the cards you really want would just be sitting on a shelf in Walmart. That is the point I am trying to convey.

Yes exactly. I guess I was trying to say that I used to buy a lot like you then got frustrated and just resort to buying/trading for cards I need, so I 100% understand the frustration.