Aug. Pickups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I have been in a military course in DC the past four months and am just now getting home and able to scan things. And I would like to send a special thanks to Tom Fullen for the Gehrig Collect-A-Book!!!

to me this is almost the best pieces. I became friends with Jake Gibbs during Yankees Fantasy Camp and was able to pick up his rookie game worn jersey from 1962 in an auction!! Plus he signed all of his original issue cards for me and sent a really nice note to boot!

Very cool that you got to know Jake Gibbs. He was the Yankees catcher when I first started watching baseball as a young kid. It was many decades later that I found out he was the quarterback for Ole Miss and they were a top flight team at that time. I was shocked to find that out!

It is funny how the players from my childhood spark my interest where the modern players don't. It just shows those guys were larger than life to kids back then. I'm not sure if that is the case these days. If it is, it is certainly not as widespread as it was "back in the day".

It is funny how the players from my childhood spark my interest where the modern players don't. It just shows those guys were larger than life to kids back then. I'm not sure if that is the case these days. If it is, it is certainly not as widespread as it was "back in the day".

Totally think the kids of today are just as awestruck as we were when we were kids. My son lives to see Kris Bryant, Mike Trout, Aaron Judge and Francisco Lindor highlights. And all of his teammates have their idols as well - from Machado to Harper to Kershaw, they all want a particular number on the back of their jerseys.

Spending a weekend in Cooperstown, saw the same thing - kids walking around with jerseys on, looking at and buying cards of particular players. I am almost tempted to argue that it is actually more widespread today than when we were kids. Growing up in Philly, the only jersey/hat that I could get were Phillies, unless I was at The Vet. Nowadays, click on Ebay or Amazon, and you can get virtually any player in league at your doorstep in 24 hours.

Very cool that you got to know Jake Gibbs. He was the Yankees catcher when I first started watching baseball as a young kid. It was many decades later that I found out he was the quarterback for Ole Miss and they were a top flight team at that time. I was shocked to find that out!

They are actually dedicating a Walk of Fame to him at Ole Miss Sep 1st weekend. I may drive down but I know he will be busy. He is a really awesome guy with tons of stories!!

They are actually dedicating a Walk of Fame to him at Ole Miss Sep 1st weekend. I may drive down but I know he will be busy. He is a really awesome guy with tons of stories!!

Very neat additions to the collection, Dewayne, and I am glad you got to know an old time great, fun to have a personal contact with a childhood hero!

God Bless,

Kevin

I have often wondered that, Jeff, as I remember the excitement I felt watching baseball with my Grandparents as a child, and then going to our local card shop, next door to my Aunt and Uncle's beauty parlor....picking up cards of favorite players, greats of the era, and some all-time greats too! These were fun memories, and I would have to agree with Katester, I have students who are rabid for baseball, and all certainly have their favorite players! That is what gives this game its enduring appeal....more so than other sports, in my opinion!

God Bless,

Kevin