Curious on Craigslist Ad - Auto Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GotMelky

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Saw this collection available and curious what others see. I've gone back and forth with the guy a little through e-mail...kind of a hard customer.

He told me he wants to load the collection up in his vehicle to meet somewhere...so it's not really a million cards. More like tens of thousands based on what I've seen.

I was mostly interested in help identifying some of the non-labeled autographs. I think I see Don Sutton and George Brett on the first two. Some of the others aren't labeled, so curious if anyone recognizes them.

https://spokane.craigslist.org/clt/d/close-to-1-million-baseball/6288526337.html

Full disclosure - I am planning to meet with him and already explained to him that I need to look through things and that it would take less than an hour. The guy's attitude has changed a bit through our conversation, but he's still acting tough a little.

He sent me some additional pictures after I asked - it sounds like there are a couple tubs of cards in magnetic one touch and hard cases that appear to be $5-10 apiece type cards - one tub had 1300+ of these according to the seller.

Like has been said already - I need a chance to wade through the boxes a little and get an idea.

He wants $7,500? If so you would need to get $75-100,000 book (adjusted for condition) to make this work. You've got to assume the autographs are dubious because you'll need to pay to get them authenticated to be able to sell them at a decent price. The vintage may make it work, but most vintage probably aren't going to be in NM.

Add to that, he's being beligerent and doesn't really want to do the "work" it takes to sell a lot like this. You can do a lot better on Ebay and actually know what you're getting.

And then again, you're going to be meeting him and he will know you're carrying a lot of cash. I'd only meet him in the parking lot of a police station. You never know if you just happen to get robbed while you're talking to him and it ends up being a friend of his who is in on it.

This looks like bad news all around to be honest. Lot easier ways to buy cards.

Last edited:
Appreciate the feedback - I figured it's worth a look. I already told him I won't have any cash when I show up and I'm bringing two other guys with me. We'll have protection on us as well. We're meeting in a place that is very busy and right near a police station...almost tempted to have a friend who is an officer come along as well...offer to buy him dinner afterwards.

He's taking offer apparently, so I thought it's worth a shot.

He wants $7,500? If so you would need to get $75-100,000 book (adjusted for condition) to make this work. You've got to assume the autographs are dubious because you'll need to pay to get them authenticated to be able to sell them at a decent price. The vintage may make it work, but most vintage probably aren't going to be in NM.

Add to that, he's being beligerent and doesn't really want to do the "work" it takes to sell a lot like this. You can do a lot better on Ebay and actually know what you're getting.

And then again, you're going to be meeting him and he will know you're carrying a lot of cash. I'd only meet him in the parking lot of a police station. You never know if you just happen to get robbed while you're talking to him and it ends up being a friend of his who is in on it.

This looks like bad news all around to be honest. Lot easier ways to buy cards.

I would not touch this collection with a 10 foot pole. From what he has pictured, I would not offer him 10% of what he is asking.

First of all for someone asking an exorbident amount for cards he is not picturing any "heavyweight" cards from what I can see. Where are the Mantles, vintage HOF RCs and the like? He has some REALLY strange cards prictured for someone who is looking for thousands of dollars for his collection. A 73 Topps football Jim Tyrer and Jim Weger?? Oh, I'll run right to the bank!

I can't identify any HOFers in his 1957 Topps football either. If he had that great of a collection he'd have a Starr, Unitas and Hornung RCs showing.

And if the Ruth auto is not real, why would you think the others would be?

From the looks of it, this is a gutted collection where the wheat has been removed and the chaff remains.

Throw in the belligerent attitude and I would not even bother with it. Cards are too easy to buy these days and with his asking price I can't see how any compromise could ever be met. From what I see in the pictures............and I'm not being sarcastic............I think I'd offer $100. Maybe there is something more in this collection but I'm kind of doubting it.

I ended up passing after his last e-mail.

I have actually had some interaction through e-mail and received some additional pictures from him. He has legitimate COAs for most of the autos (JSA, Steiner, Tristar, etc.). There is one bin that has 1300 autographs and relics in it - all in one touch holders. Some losers, but a lot of winners including a lot of HOF stuff. I saw lots of stuff in the $10-30 range which is great for COMC inventory. There are also three two row boxes full of vintage and better rookie cards. I wasn't going to pay $7500 for it - he was actually taking offers despite the ad.

I gave up after he wasn't even willing to change the time we would meet.

Apparently he has buyers lined up...

I would not touch this collection with a 10 foot pole. From what he has pictured, I would not offer him 10% of what he is asking.

First of all for someone asking an exorbident amount for cards he is not picturing any "heavyweight" cards from what I can see. Where are the Mantles, vintage HOF RCs and the like? He has some REALLY strange cards prictured for someone who is looking for thousands of dollars for his collection. A 73 Topps football Jim Tyrer and Jim Weger?? Oh, I'll run right to the bank!

I can't identify any HOFers in his 1957 Topps football either. If he had that great of a collection he'd have a Starr, Unitas and Hornung RCs showing.

And if the Ruth auto is not real, why would you think the others would be?

From the looks of it, this is a gutted collection where the wheat has been removed and the chaff remains.

Throw in the belligerent attitude and I would not even bother with it. Cards are too easy to buy these days and with his asking price I can't see how any compromise could ever be met. From what I see in the pictures............and I'm not being sarcastic............I think I'd offer $100. Maybe there is something more in this collection but I'm kind of doubting it.

Looks like picked over remnants of a large collection or dealer inventory. Lots of low end stuff that might sell OK ($1 box stuff mostly) if one had patience and not a ton into the lot. Sounds like a loser proposition, even though "book value" could be in the 5 digit range, but who is actually paying $8-12 for common junk autographs that can be had for a buck or less usually?

Reminds me of a time years ago, when free list days on eBay were rare. I decided that I would list my entire collection for sale when they offered a no fee list day, just to see what might happen. I did some preliminary photography of some of the better stuff, but was planning to do a lot more. I did a basic write up with no details of what was in the lot and included no pictures and set the price so that it would not be messed with. My plan was to edit the listing with much more detail and add photos later. The listing went up at $500,000 OBO because there was no fee at all. I was certainly not expecting to get that, but after collecting for 25+ years at that time, I had accumulated A LOT of stuff. As I sifted through it, I was imagining what all of the better items/singles would sell for, but the reality is, anyone buying a huge lot is going to want it for pennies on the dollar.

I ended up getting some ******* emailing with right off the bat with rude comments about how my collection wasn't worth a fraction of the asking amount (even though I had not yet provided ANY details) and after going back and forth with him a few rounds, decided I was not in the mood to put the work into the listing for real, only to have losers like this critique the listing. I haven't thought of that ****** in years, but his eBay "me page" picture had him holding a handful of cash, exclaiming he was the top buyer of collections on eBay. Funny thing was, you could see what people bought back then and his last 30 or 90 days of buying, he had spent a whole $1!!! Big spender!! Now I wonder if he is still in the hobby. Heck, he could even be a member here! Wouldn't that be hilarious.

Selling a large collection as one piece is a bonehead move unless you absolutely must do it for some reason and you are willing to leave piles and piles of money on the table.

Reminds me of a time years ago, when free list days on eBay were rare. I decided that I would list my entire collection for sale when they offered a no fee list day, just to see what might happen. I did some preliminary photography of some of the better stuff, but was planning to do a lot more. I did a basic write up with no details of what was in the lot and included no pictures and set the price so that it would not be messed with. My plan was to edit the listing with much more detail and add photos later. The listing went up at $500,000 OBO because there was no fee at all. I was certainly not expecting to get that, but after collecting for 25+ years at that time, I had accumulated A LOT of stuff. As I sifted through it, I was imagining what all of the better items/singles would sell for, but the reality is, anyone buying a huge lot is going to want it for pennies on the dollar.

I ended up getting some ******* emailing with right off the bat with rude comments about how my collection wasn't worth a fraction of the asking amount (even though I had not yet provided ANY details) and after going back and forth with him a few rounds, decided I was not in the mood to put the work into the listing for real, only to have losers like this critique the listing. I haven't thought of that ****** in years, but his eBay "me page" picture had him holding a handful of cash, exclaiming he was the top buyer of collections on eBay. Funny thing was, you could see what people bought back then and his last 30 or 90 days of buying, he had spent a whole $1!!! Big spender!! Now I wonder if he is still in the hobby. Heck, he could even be a member here! Wouldn't that be hilarious.

Selling a large collection as one piece is a bonehead move unless you absolutely must do it for some reason and you are willing to leave piles and piles of money on the table.

Excellent read Curt. I figure my collection will some day be sold for pennies on the dollar but that will be up to my family. I will never sell my collection. But will my family want it when I am gone? The answer is no. But I did tell my wife to sell it once I am gone so maybe someone else can get some of the enjoyment out of this stuff that I have gotten. My card collection is quite large and that does not count all the other junk that I have accumulated with it. But that is another story.

He actually sent me some additional pictures and details. Lots of the auto'd stuff has legit COA (Steiner, Tristar, JSA) and there are two bins with 1,000+ cards in them that range from $1 stuff up to $30+. Saw a considerable number of HOF relics and autos (more than in the original listing.

Looks like picked over remnants of a large collection or dealer inventory. Lots of low end stuff that might sell OK ($1 box stuff mostly) if one had patience and not a ton into the lot. Sounds like a loser proposition, even though "book value" could be in the 5 digit range, but who is actually paying $8-12 for common junk autographs that can be had for a buck or less usually?

It's weird, but a few more collections popped up around here this week.

One is a guy listing 200+ sealed boxes/sets. Lots of 80s-90s junk, but a few '93 Upper Deck Sealed Sets/Boxes and a few other decent ones. He was an all or nothing guy and was asking $1,000 for it all (mind you that's like $4.75 a box) - still way too much.

Still talking to a guy that lives about an hour from here - also has $1,000 listed on his collection. This one is about 100,000+ cards and about half is 2010 to present stuff. Lots of opened boxes where cards were left in the wrapper inside the box. Trying to get more details before I get into that one.

I did buy a little $30 lot of football cards today that panned out really well. The pictures showed five smaller boxes and a few cards highlighted. One of which was a '98 Skybox Premium Intimidation Nation Brett Favre which is a pretty decent card. I rolled the dice and ended up with a really nice haul including these:

72d56z00.jpg

Unfortunately the Favre has some chipping/edge issues, but there was plenty to make up for it.

I'd say this buy was a really nice one with 7 Peyton Manning RCs in it! There are so many good buys available these days that card collecting has actually become a very inexpensive hobby if you use your head.