Childhood Collection from late 60's to Mid 70' FB & BBs . Should I grade b4 Selling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bosco1

Prospect
Childhood Collection from late 60's to Mid 70' FB & BBs . Should I grade b4 Selling?

Hey guys new member, Just joined. I have a rather large Football collection and a xxxlarge baseball collection from my childhood all Topps, late 60's to mid 70's. Not sure about having them graded. I'm sure they are no PSA 10 in the bunch because of age alone but was wondering if I should some of them. I do have several mid 80's to 1990 baseball cards that are "As New", Topps, Fleer, Donruss and Score.
I would like to sell them but wanted to see if it may be in my best interest to have the super star cards graded before. Trying to wrap my head around trying to price them. Thanks in adavance for your help.
Here's a few pic's if this helps...

dan
in East Tn.

Football
enhance.jpg
enhance.jpg
enhance.jpg
enhance.jpg
enhance.jpgenhance.jpg
enhance.jpg

Baseball

enhance.jpg
enhance.jpg
enhance.jpg
enhance.jpg
enhance.jpg
enhance.jpg
enhance.jpg
enhance.jpg

and the rest of the baseball I'm still going thru. Have most of the superstar rooikes from the mid-80 to 1990, Randy Johnson, Griffey Jr. etc.. not pictured..

enhance.jpg
enhance.jpg
enhance.jpg
enhance.jpg

I would lose the rubber bands! Put them in team bags instead.........Don't think you can sell here yet; you have to hit a certain trade number first...........

Some very impressive cards in that lot!

From the looks of them, I would not get them graded unless you find a REALLY nice condition card that is high priced. I can see from the scans that many of the older cards show damage so you definitely don't want to bother getting those graded as it would be a waste of money. I would just grade them yourself if I were you unless you find a really top condition copy of one of your bigger cards (ie The Schmidt RC, the Bradshaw RC etc),

Even though many of your cards appear to be in lesser grade you should be able to make a fair amount of money on them as you have so many big name older cards. And whatever you do, DO NOT hand them over to someone and let them go through them and tell you what you have. Too many trusting people hand over their collections to unscrupulous people and get their collection gutted unbeknownst to them. That happens a lot more than you'd think.

I see you have a lot of 1973 Topps baseball high numbers. Be sure to carefully check your guide for the number ranges that are more expensive. Your 1970 Mays is a semi high number I believe and if you have any 1972 Topps football that are numbered over 264 put those aside because the commons run about $20 apiece..

A very nice collection of cards to say the least!

Some very impressive cards in that lot!

From the looks of them, I would not get them graded unless you find a REALLY nice condition card that is high priced. I can see from the scans that many of the older cards show damage so you definitely don't want to bother getting those graded as it would be a waste of money. I would just grade them yourself if I were you unless you find a really top condition copy of one of your bigger cards (ie The Schmidt RC, the Bradshaw RC etc),

Even though many of your cards appear to be in lesser grade you should be able to make a fair amount of money on them as you have so many big name older cards. And whatever you do, DO NOT hand them over to someone and let them go through them and tell you what you have. Too many trusting people hand over their collections to unscrupulous people and get their collection gutted unbeknownst to them. That happens a lot more than you'd think.

I see you have a lot of 1973 Topps baseball high numbers. Be sure to carefully check your guide for the number ranges that are more expensive. Your 1970 Mays is a semi high number I believe and if you have any 1972 Topps football that are numbered over 264 put those aside because the commons run about $20 apiece..

A very nice collection of cards to say the least!

Thank you so much for this info. On grading I was thinking the Staubach rc, Bradshaw rc & Franco rc. Maybe the Bench rc & Schmidt rc. I will ck them out closer. Tks again...

Dennis I see you have a 1970 Topps Seattle Pilots team card which means you have high numbers for that set. You need to pull out all your 1970 Topps Baseball cards that are numbered from 634 to 720 as commons are worth $10 each and are in high demand in any condition. Bench and Ryan are in that particular series and are worth a fair amount.

Also those unnumbered team checklists in 1973 and 1974 baseball and football are in high demand if they are unmarked. They look like nothing cards but they are hard to find unmarked and in decent shape.

If you have a 1970 Topps Poster #7 Willie McCovey in NM shape, I'd be interested in it. And I also need a 1971 Topps football card #175 John Mackey in lesser condition too. If you have wither of those please PM me and I am sure we can work something out.

Dennis I see you have a 1970 Topps Seattle Pilots team card which means you have high numbers for that set. You need to pull out all your 1970 Topps Baseball cards that are numbered from 634 to 720 as commons are worth $10 each and are in high demand in any condition. Bench and Ryan are in that particular series and are worth a fair amount.

Also those unnumbered team checklists in 1973 and 1974 baseball and football are in high demand if they are unmarked. They look like nothing cards but they are hard to find unmarked and in decent shape.

If you have a 1970 Topps Poster #7 Willie McCovey in NM shape, I'd be interested in it. And I also need a 1971 Topps football card #175 John Mackey in lesser condition too. If you have wither of those please PM me and I am sure we can work something out.

Wow that's incredible thank you...

I'm going to give youa list of the sets I see that have high numbers and provide the minimum value for cards in that series. Remember there are cards within those series that are worth much more and these cards are the ones you really have to watch out for.

BASEBALL HIGH NUMBERS

1973 Topps 529 thru 660 $3.00 ea.
1972 Topps 657 thru 787 $12.00 ea.
1971 Topps 644 thru 752 $8.00 ea.
1970 Topps 634 thru 720 $10 ea.
1968 and 1969 Topps have high numbers but they are not worth that much more than the earlier series cards
1967 Topps 534-609 $15 ea.

FOOTBALL HIGH NUMBERS

1972 Topps 264 thru 351 $18 each

I am doing the 1972 Topps football off the top of my head but I know I am close on that info if not exact. I did not spot any high numbers for this set in your scans like I did with the 1970 and 1973 Topps baseballs. They are scare as hen's teeth and I have never seen a hen with teeth!

If you have cards numbered in those ranges for those sets, put them aside as they are high demand cards.

I'll check...

I'm going to give youa list of the sets I see that have high numbers and provide the minimum value for cards in that series. Remember there are cards within those series that are worth much more and these cards are the ones you really have to watch out for.

BASEBALL HIGH NUMBERS

1973 Topps 529 thru 660 $3.00 ea.
1972 Topps 657 thru 787 $12.00 ea.
1971 Topps 644 thru 752 $8.00 ea.
1970 Topps 634 thru 720 $10 ea.
1968 and 1969 Topps have high numbers but they are not worth that much more than the earlier series cards
1967 Topps 534-609 $15 ea.

FOOTBALL HIGH NUMBERS

1972 Topps 264 thru 351 $18 each

I am doing the 1972 Topps football off the top of my head but I know I am close on that info if not exact. I did not spot any high numbers for this set in your scans like I did with the 1970 and 1973 Topps baseballs. They are scare as hen's teeth and I have never seen a hen with teeth!

If you have cards numbered in those ranges for those sets, put them aside as they are high demand cards.

Good deal, tks SM have a slew of 72 & 73. Have a 1970 Frank Robinson #700, bad thing is I wrote Angles on it, he must have got traded so I wanted to keep him up to date :-(

Gotcha covered on the 71 John Mackey
enhance.jpg
enhance.jpg

That Mackey is exactly what I am looking for. Let me know if there is something I can trade you for it.

I know you need to make trades with 20 different members before being able to sell on this site. You might want to make small trades with 20 different members and then be able to sell. I'd keep the trades small value as I know you are looking to sell and it would not make sense to trade away high dollar cards since those are the ones that would bring the most money. The trade with me for that Mackey would be a start at getting to that twenty member mark.

Also if you post scans on your higher dollar cards members here can tell you if it is worth it to send them in to be graded. Several informed opinions on the bigger cards could steer you in the right direction.

That Mackey is exactly what I am looking for. Let me know if there is something I can trade you for it.

I know you need to make trades with 20 different members before being able to sell on this site. You might want to make small trades with 20 different members and then be able to sell. I'd keep the trades small value as I know you are looking to sell and it would not make sense to trade away high dollar cards since those are the ones that would bring the most money. The trade with me for that Mackey would be a start at getting to that twenty member mark.

Also if you post scans on your higher dollar cards members here can tell you if it is worth it to send them in to be graded. Several informed opinions on the bigger cards could steer you in the right direction.

Good deal. Do you have baseball & football to trade? Do we do this here or by pm?

A small trade like this we can do right here. I have similar baseball and football if you need or want something in particular. Just list a few things you might be interested in be it players, teams particular cards etc and I'll see what I have for you.

I can walk you through the Trade Manager if this is your first trade after we iron out the details.

If you do come across that 1970 Topps McCovey poster, lmka nd we'll expand the trade. Since you have a lot of 1970 Topps you might have some of those posters which were inserts in packs back then.