Retail or Hobby! I'm going over to the darkside!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David K.

Legend
5.00 star(s)
I got burned to many times buying hobby boxes......and I did not pull any Judge or Bellinger auto during the 2017 season! Hobby stores are entitled to make a profit....but I feel enough is enough.....Last year it was Judge/Bellinger and few more....this year its the Japanese Pitcher/player....Purchased GQ box and it was $135.00...."it going for $130.00 on ebay and I can't restock this stuff!" (store owner) So this year I purchased 4 blasters of Heritage at Target for only $9.99 per blaster....got 140.00 cards 4 sp and one chrome....but for only $40.00....Hobby box....216 cards about 5 sp and two autos cost me $135.00! I'll continue to buy a few hobby boxes....but the bulk of my money will go to the retail stuff like up and coming Bowman....Japanese pitcher auto will be in this product! Best regards, David PS purchase two retail bowman boxs from blowout. I'm tried of the .....this product is hot!! So I have to charge you more : ) ....I always think of the guy going to federal prison for 7 years for another scam before the medicine .....who had this big grim on his face when he was asked why he increased the product (medicine) by 5,000%.

Last edited:
David:

I hear you. I also like to support my LCS, but some of the products are getting out of control with their prices. Some collectors are just sitting back and buying just the players or teams they collect. I guess I could do the same, but I really enjoy opening new products and the thrill of busting boxes.

Luis

I enjoy opening new product....I use to hit something good once every three or four product and that was okay....but with the increase in cost because of the Hot players and not getting any auto of them. So when they start the same thing this year.......Any time theres a retail with it.....I'm going to go retail for the blasters or boxes....... with a few packs for hobby! Best regards, David

Bowman will be hobby and retail....so u can still have the thrill of opening retail boxes or blasters and have a money in your pocket! If u need to pick up supplies and a few hobby packs...drop by your local hobby store! Best regards, David

Remember also that hobby stores aren’t dealing directly with the card company but having to deal with wholesaler markups along the chain as well. I have no problem with a popular product costing a bit more, it’s simple supply and demand. I WISH i had the option of a hobby store, but it’s walmart as the only option for sealed cards out here. I use packrip and comc a lot.

Some cases or product your right...but in others your wrong...My hobby store gets most of their product direct from Topps!! Direct from Topps that I know: Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Bowman Draft, Topps 2018. Supplies from wholesales....Heritage, GQ, Donruss Best regards, David

I'm already on the dark side, I buy few hobby and even fewer jumbos....I stick to retail because I have to in my location. I'm glad to read this thread because its easy to get down on retail sometimes with as few of hits you get. This puts it in perspective for me and I will keep buying the blasters from Wal-mart too. LOL

I'm already on the dark side, I buy few hobby and even fewer jumbos....I stick to retail because I have to in my location. I'm glad to read this thread because its easy to get down on retail sometimes with as few of hits you get. This puts it in perspective for me and I will keep buying the blasters from Wal-mart too. LOL
Another bonus is the price does not go higher ....only lower! While the hobby stores will rise the price because its a hot product!! Best regards, David

Another bonus is the price does not go higher ....only lower! While the hobby stores will rise the price because its a hot product!! Best regards, David

yeah except the discounts aren't there like they used to be. Blasters would go down to $11.99 once the next year would come out, now only 25% savings and they are $14.99. Still good price but discounts were even better just a few years ago.

True...but once Judge, Bellinger and others starting hitting the home runs.....all of the products started going up in price! Best regards, David

....I always think of the guy going to federal prison for 7 years for another scam before the medicine .....who had this big grim on his face when he was asked why he increased the product (medicine) by 5,000%.

oh, yeah --- Valeant Pharmaceuticals. Those guys were sacks of dog turds.

Don't forget to buy your retail bowman....most of the retail on blowout site are gone or running low! I got two retail boxes!! Best regards, David

I might have the inclination to purchase more retail, if I bought more stuff. I really only buy Topps Flagship and A/G. If I get a big hit, great - but since I am more of a set builder, the ease of purchase online, is exactly what I need.

My "local" LCS is a minimum 30 minute drive, depending on traffic and his box/pack selection is almost non-existent.