Retail or Hobby! I'm going over to the darkside!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Looking forward to getting more fellow benchers to the darkside! Best regards, David

I may be headed in that direction. I've been disappointed with hobby boxes lately as well. Maybe just a stretch of bad luck, but seems my hits are always of mediocre players or worse--pitching prospects I've never heard of. Meanwhile every time I bring up my twitter feed it seems like someone is getting a great pull out of a retail blaster. Of course I realize the successes naturally get more pub than the failures, but perception is reality to a certain degree.

I like to support my LCS and I do have the luxury of both options where I live, so right now I am doing a blend of hobby/retail.

I've actually had the best luck (best value for cost) buying 1-2 year old product at discount or sale prices from places like blowout cards or steel city collectibles. Almost all boxes are overpriced when released and about 1/10 end up skyrocketing even further while the rest can be had at a lower cost after a few months go by.

I'm always a bit behind in my collecting and this is one my frustrations with trading sites, even The Bench--by far my favorite trading site for its quality of people. But very few collectors seem interested in trading for cards older than the current year or for anything other than Trout, Harper, Bellinger, and Bryant. I wish there were more set collectors and team/player collectors and less folks just looking to flip hot players/RCs for a quick buck. The Bench has a good community of traders, but it is also very small and there is no meaningful social media presence which makes it very difficult to grow the community. I really don't know how people find out about The Bench other than word of mouth or by random chance (for me, I had to pro-actively do my own search and research for trading websites). Sorry, off topic, back to retail vs. hobby...

I wouldn't mine the no hits....but its the high cost of the hobby products! So I'm still going to buy hobby boxes just not as much.....and purchase a few retail boxes to balance due cost. Best regards, David

Prices going crazy on cases and boxes of bowman 2018!! Ohtani is 2-0 in pitching and has 3 home runs...not bad for a 23 year. Best regards, David

I hear ya! I only bought 1 hobby box this year & it was 2016 Finest. Not to good but not the worst box nor the best. I did buy a blaster of this years Heritage & a blaster of GQ with 3 value packs. I figured I did alright with a chrome ref & a '69 decal card of my Pc guys along with 2 numbered Indigos, a Judge Tarot, Frazier & Ohtani RCs. I am aimed at just purchasing singles of PC &/or trade bait for the most part nowadays. Last couple years it seems like Topps has been stingy with any colors in the Chrome products which deters me from purchasing any Chrome HBs.

Ohtani...dh and one hit a triple driving in three runs....batting over .370 and 2-0 in pitching....means those pre-sell boxes will be sold by the hobby stores....regular hobby box....probably about 130 plus per box and Jumbo about 300+.....Best regards, David PS happy I got two retail boxes each for about $73.00!!!

Remember also that hobby stores aren’t dealing directly with the card company but having to deal with wholesaler markups along the chain as well. I have no problem with a popular product costing a bit more, it’s simple supply and demand. I WISH i had the option of a hobby store, but it’s walmart as the only option for sealed cards out here. I use packrip and comc a lot.

Not to mention many wholesalers require the LCS to purchase certain amounts of products, which often handcuffs them into either buying more than they want or particular products they do not want. Walmart has the buying power and will eventually mean the death to all small business. They dictate to the card companies how much they will buy and at what price. You may find it hard to believe, but your Walmart makes more of a profit margin per box than your LCS. I was a LCS owner for almost 5 years. It is not as glamorous as it appears. Small shop with rent, electricity, water, employees, and the list goes on and on. I can tell you the hobby will not survive without our local LCS.

HI Guys
Bought about $200 between Walmart and the LCS...Walmart had gotten in the 2018 Panini USA blasters for $19.99...box guarantees two hits per box...but all 4 of the boxes I opened had three hits! ended up with 4 autos, 3 auto/jerseys. 4 of the jersey cards that take up almost all of the card and one tools of the trade double jersey. Of course, I will probably be dead before any of these 14NT players make a name.
Then yesterday was in the LCS and saw 18 DK was in. Had the ever lucky for me, Michelle pick the box. Pack number 2 got an Ian Happ dual patch/auto 3/10 and just now pulled a Benintendi Dual DK materials 38/49. Also a framed gray Mantle #/99 and a Big Hurt AP #/99.
Was talking to Michelle about the USA, as they had some blasters. The Target blasters only get the two hits.

And, as a customer service, you can find more cards on Walmart.com then at the stores, but can have the cards sent to the stores for free. Picked up two Gallery Hobby boxes last year, that way.
Also, they have some hobby boxes available from secondary markets.
Take care, Bob

Not to mention many wholesalers require the LCS to purchase certain amounts of products, which often handcuffs them into either buying more than they want or particular products they do not want. Walmart has the buying power and will eventually mean the death to all small business. They dictate to the card companies how much they will buy and at what price. You may find it hard to believe, but your Walmart makes more of a profit margin per box than your LCS. I was a LCS owner for almost 5 years. It is not as glamorous as it appears. Small shop with rent, electricity, water, employees, and the list goes on and on. I can tell you the hobby will not survive without our local LCS.
Right...Walmart makes more .....their prices are locked in.....Hobby Stores are not locked in....its what ever they can charge and move it out their door.....the last few years with Judge/bellinger/etc last year and this year Ohtani....baseball product has been moving (they can't get enough!)...one example....Heritage box at my local Hobby store $135.00 for 216 cards with one auto or replic.......Target....blaster $26.00 with 8 packs...or 72 cards.....4 blasters 288 cards for only $104.00! Have more money in your pocket and more cards for the set! Best regards, David
HI Guys
Bought about $200 between Walmart and the LCS...Walmart had gotten in the 2018 Panini USA blasters for $19.99...box guarantees two hits per box...but all 4 of the boxes I opened had three hits! ended up with 4 autos, 3 auto/jerseys. 4 of the jersey cards that take up almost all of the card and one tools of the trade double jersey. Of course, I will probably be dead before any of these 14NT players make a name.
Then yesterday was in the LCS and saw 18 DK was in. Had the ever lucky for me, Michelle pick the box. Pack number 2 got an Ian Happ dual patch/auto 3/10 and just now pulled a Benintendi Dual DK materials 38/49. Also a framed gray Mantle #/99 and a Big Hurt AP #/99.
Was talking to Michelle about the USA, as they had some blasters. The Target blasters only get the two hits.

And, as a customer service, you can find more cards on Walmart.com then at the stores, but can have the cards sent to the stores for free. Picked up two Gallery Hobby boxes last year, that way.
Also, they have some hobby boxes available from secondary markets.
Take care, Bob

Thanks for the link! Best regards, David

Like I said...my Hobby store buys most of the products directly from Topps......Topps, Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Bowman Draft, Topps II, Topps Update, etc. Best regards, David PS I'm buying some retail to offset the cost of the high hobby costs. So no...I'm not telling u to forgo the hobby stores....as most probably get their products from the middle guys. My hobby store is run by the owners so no employees.

Ohtani...dh and one hit a triple driving in three runs....batting over .370 and 2-0 in pitching....means those pre-sell boxes will be sold by the hobby stores....regular hobby box....probably about 130 plus per box and Jumbo about 300+.....Best regards, David PS happy I got two retail boxes each for about $73.00!!!

You can bet pre-sells will rise. Ohtan has 3 home runs & 11 RBIs batting .364. Also I saw yesterday his GQ RC went from $12 up to $30 & that's his base RC. He is for real, at least so far lol.

Like I said...my Hobby store buys most of the products directly from Topps......Topps, Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Bowman Draft, Topps II, Topps Update, etc. Best regards, David PS I'm buying some retail to offset the cost of the high hobby costs. So no...I'm not telling u to forgo the hobby stores....as most probably get their products from the middle guys. My hobby store is run by the owners so no employees.

Would it surprise you to know even direct from the manufacturers the LCS only make 20-30% where as Walmart is making upwards of 50% or more?? The sportscards business is not all that profitable. Most do it because of a love for the hobby. You frustration needs to be at the companies for gouging your LCS, while pampering to Walmart.

Would it surprise you to know even direct from the manufacturers the LCS only make 20-30% where as Walmart is making upwards of 50% or more?? The sportscards business is not all that profitable. Most do it because of a love for the hobby. You frustration needs to be at the companies for gouging your LCS, while pampering to Walmart.

I don't buy stuff at Walmart! Wrong again! You need to reply to your threads! Best regards, David

I don't buy stuff at Walmart! Wrong again! You need to reply to your threads! Best regards, David

Not saying you do. There where others in the thread that said they did. My point is you make it seem like the LCS is gouging you. To the contrary, it is they that are getting gouged. They are just trying to provide you with product.

Not saying you do. There where others in the thread that said they did. My point is you make it seem like the LCS is gouging you. To the contrary, it is they that are getting gouged. They are just trying to provide you with product.

Wrong again! If u read my posts...I'm still one of their best customer! I'm balancing the hobby high cost with the retail low cost! Best regards, David

You have to take into account that LCS buy for their one store and Walmart is buying for their entire fleet.
I recommend listening to the sportscards podcast from iTunes forget the guys name, but he's not associated with any store (like mojobreak's ) or like fat pack 's which is Becketts.so very honest about Panini forcing lc's to buy crap boxes or they can't buy national treasure etc.
My lc's covers all sports and entertainment cards plus discount boxes and packs,tons of set fillers and finally consignment shelves. Plus Great box picker, Michelle who has pick boxes that have netted my 2 Harper autos,Canon 1 of 1 auto and the three years of DK an auto jersey #/10!
Thanks

Target does not buy all of the baseball cards for all of the Target stores! A third party distributor supplies each of the stores! I have seen some owners of hobby store.....(the smart ones)..buy the retail stuff once their hobby supply is gone (last few years/its to costly to restock) and then sell them at their store! Best regards, David

Last edited:
As far as the retail are making a lot of money on Baseball cards.....the retail stores who use to carried baseball cards ...Kmart... Toys r us.....are going...going . It's easy to say....they make a lot of money...but they don't! If selling baseball cards is easy....why all of the hobby store closing? The Hobby stores that are making it in todays world ....buy hobby and retail...they sell cards on ebay! They treat their customers as their friends .....try not to gore their customers with high cost of cards! We all can't pull the Ohtani Auto from 2018 Bowman...so why charge us high prices...esp if u get the boxes direct from topps......if they have to go to a third party to get their boxes...then I understand why their have to charge so much for a box! But tell your customers!! I pay $180.00 for the box and that why I'm charge $9.50 a pack....Best regards, David

Last edited: