Toys R'us

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schmidtfan

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
So, I went by the local Toys R'Us to see if they were discounting any cards, and the woman who worked there said that "they took all the baseball cards (and Magic, Pokemon, etc.) out before they started discounting anything."

Any ideas on where they go? Are there purple parallels in the 2018s? Are they going to be incredibly rare, or are they somehow going to make it to the wholesalers like blowout or dacard? And is there going to be any series 2 analog for the Toys R'us parallels?

Well, I can't answer most of your questions, but trading cards are vendor product -- much like Coke or potato chips or bread (in most stores). These items don't actually belong to the store, and so they can't be discounted.

I went into my local Wal-Mart yesterday, and was looking at the card section. None of the labels were correct. There were 3 or 4 front end supervisors hanging out, and I mentioned to them that they should fix their labels. They said that because it was vendor product, they weren't allowed to touch anything.

So, I got a blaster of 2018 Heritage for $5.98 and a Mega box of Gypsy Queen for $19.98, because their vendor reps hadn't bothered to fix the labels, and Wal-Mart wasn't allowed to fix them, either.

I hadn't realized that there was a distinction between the two types of product. Thanks for the info. I guess that makes sense that "they took them away"

Well, I can't answer most of your questions, but trading cards are vendor product -- much like Coke or potato chips or bread (in most stores). These items don't actually belong to the store, and so they can't be discounted.

I went into my local Wal-Mart yesterday, and was looking at the card section. None of the labels were correct. There were 3 or 4 front end supervisors hanging out, and I mentioned to them that they should fix their labels. They said that because it was vendor product, they weren't allowed to touch anything.

So, I got a blaster of 2018 Heritage for $5.98 and a Mega box of Gypsy Queen for $19.98, because their vendor reps hadn't bothered to fix the labels, and Wal-Mart wasn't allowed to fix them, either.

I found blasters & value packs mislabeled on the shelf/rack. Made the clerk scan them so I didn't get in in assuming I was getting a deal, sure enough they still scanned the proper amount.

I have no idea where the 2018 Topps Series I purple parallel hangers will end up, but TRU brought their demise down on themselves.

I'm also an action figure collector (Marvel Legends, G.I. Joe and certain WWE figures) --- I remember back in the late 80s and early 90s and good ol' Aisle 9C would be loaded with every figure you'd ever want.
However, due to ordering habits, inventory policies, store layout, focus on other products, etc., their action figure selection has been God Awful for the past 15+ years.
I hate that people are losing their jobs, but they dug their own grave.

I have no idea where the 2018 Topps Series I purple parallel hangers will end up, but TRU brought their demise down on themselves.

I'm also an action figure collector (Marvel Legends, G.I. Joe and certain WWE figures) --- I remember back in the late 80s and early 90s and good ol' Aisle 9C would be loaded with every figure you'd ever want.
However, due to ordering habits, inventory policies, store layout, focus on other products, etc., their action figure selection has been God Awful for the past 15+ years.
The employees were mostly young and when one asked me for my e-mail.....she asked me what is AOL??? Best regards, David

I found blasters & value packs mislabeled on the shelf/rack. Made the clerk scan them so I didn't get in in assuming I was getting a deal, sure enough they still scanned the proper amount.

That type of stuff never happens for me, but nice bonus for you!

They aren't the only brick/mortar chain suffering/closing up shop. So many others missed the mark on where the "future" was headed. First one that jumps to mind is Blockbuster.

The employees were mostly young and when one asked me for my e-mail.....she asked me what is AOL??? Best regards, David

There is a member of my family that still has an aol address, so you are not alone!