Set building woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bblair_2002

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Hello folks. Been outta the loop card-wise the last few weeks since I've been out of work since the 13th and having intestinal surgery next week. In anticipation of that day I decided to occupy my time to put some sets in numerical order. So far I've gone through these sets:

2011 Topps/Update Diamond Anniversary
2011 Topps/Update Cognac Diamond Anniversary
2012 Topps/Update Gold Sparkle
2013 Topps Emerald

Well,these sets that I THOUGHT were complete are not :(. I'm 2 cards short of the Gold Sparkles,3 short of the Cognac and 1 short of the Diamond. I also thought I was 4 cards short of the Emerald but after sorting series 1&2,it's actually 7. Luckily none of these cards are biggies but commons are usually the hardest ones to find. Not looking for trades right now since I'll be outta commission for a time but it just stinks that sets I thought were complete really aren't. Added those wants to my page.

Anyone else have this issue? Guess I need to be a bit more organized in the future lol.

Thanks,
Brett

Last edited:
Brett:
I feel your pain. Over the years I have, from time to time, gotten what I believed was the last card for set, only to find it was, actually, the next to last or second to last. And, yes, it seems the commons are more difficult to find than the stars!
Good luck.
Boots

What's worse you go through the set find out your missing 1-2 cards so down the road you manage to trade for them go to put them in your set and find out you don't need them because you already had them and when you originally went through the set you just missed the cards DOH!!! or you discover there in your dupes box

What's worse you go through the set find out your missing 1-2 cards so down the road you manage to trade for them go to put them in your set and find out you don't need them because you already had them and when you originally went through the set you just missed the cards DOH!!! or you discover there in your dupes box

Dave:
I hear ya! Been there and done that SEVERAL times!! Ouch! And then they sit in your dupes box because you were the only person in the universe looking for them and no one else wants them!
Boots

Just did that last night. After going through my 2012 Gold Sparkles,I was missing 3 then I look at my tradepage and realized I had one of those missing cards on there so I found it and stuck it in my set. Now I'm down to 2.

Prayers for your surgery and a speedy recovery! I having a major problem with my 2003 Timeless Treasures Gold set! Their serial to only 10 of each.....100 players in the set! I have 73 of the 100! Only a few show up on ebay every year! Shawn Green cost me the most....$70.00....beat a Green fan! Babe Ruth was only $28.00!! Best regards, David

Hello folks. Been outta the loop card-wise the last few weeks since I've been out of work since the 13th and having intestinal surgery next week. In anticipation of that day I decided to occupy my time to put some sets in numerical order. So far I've gone through these sets:

2011 Topps/Update Diamond Anniversary
2011 Topps/Update Cognac Diamond Anniversary
2012 Topps/Update Gold Sparkle
2013 Topps Emerald

Well,these sets that I THOUGHT were complete are not :(. I'm 2 cards short of the Gold Sparkles,3 short of the Cognac and 1 short of the Diamond. I also thought I was 4 cards short of the Emerald but after sorting series 1&2,it's actually 7. Luckily none of these cards are biggies but commons are usually the hardest ones to find. Not looking for trades right now since I'll be outta commission for a time but it just stinks that sets I thought were complete really aren't. Added those wants to my page.

Anyone else have this issue? Guess I need to be a bit more organized in the future lol.

Thanks,
Brett

I have some of these so let me know which ones you are missing and I will see if I have them.

I also went through my Topps sets a while back and realized I was missing a few on some of them. But because of this web site I was able to get them closed!!

I have some of these so let me know which ones you are missing and I will see if I have them.

I also went through my Topps sets a while back and realized I was missing a few on some of them. But because of this web site I was able to get them closed!!

I added them to my wants on my page but gonna be a few weeks before I get back to doing any trading though.

Finding I am still missing cards n sets I thought I was completing is not my set building issue. My issue is no matter how many cards I have for a particular set is that I am always, and I mean always, going to be missing one card when I attempt to put he set together. And it is never the key RC for the set that I am missing as I always make sure I have those before attempting the set but always ends up being a common or a minor star.

Last night for instance, I attempted to build another McDonalds basketball set since I had so many dups. Was I missing the Shaq RC? Nope, I have plenty of those. The MJ?. Again nope, I have several of those. I ended up missing the James Worthy. It never fails! I am the king of the one and dones.

If I pick up a bunch of cards for a set I only need one or two cards for, it always ends up the cards I get are from the wrong series. And a few years ago I picked up several hundred cards for an early 1990s Upper Deck hockey set that I only needed a few cards for only to get home and find out the cards I picked up were the Canadian version! And I still need those cards to finish the set these several years later. I can't win! LOL

Good luck on finishing those sets and even more so for your upcoming surgery.

Prayers for your surgery and a speedy recovery! I having a major problem with my 2003 Timeless Treasures Gold set! Their serial to only 10 of each.....100 players in the set! I have 73 of the 100! Only a few show up on ebay every year! Shawn Green cost me the most....$70.00....beat a Green fan! Babe Ruth was only $28.00!! Best regards, David

Finding I am still missing cards n sets I thought I was completing is not my set building issue. My issue is no matter how many cards I have for a particular set is that I am always, and I mean always, going to be missing one card when I attempt to put he set together. And it is never the key RC for the set that I am missing as I always make sure I have those before attempting the set but always ends up being a common or a minor star.

Last night for instance, I attempted to build another McDonalds basketball set since I had so many dups. Was I missing the Shaq RC? Nope, I have plenty of those. The MJ?. Again nope, I have several of those. I ended up missing the James Worthy. It never fails! I am the king of the one and dones.

If I pick up a bunch of cards for a set I only need one or two cards for, it always ends up the cards I get are from the wrong series. And a few years ago I picked up several hundred cards for an early 1990s Upper Deck hockey set that I only needed a few cards for only to get home and find out the cards I picked up were the Canadian version! And I still need those cards to finish the set these several years later. I can't win! LOL

Good luck on finishing those sets and even more so for your upcoming surgery.

Good luck on your surgery!

Thanks y'all. I'll be hurting for a bit but it's being done robotically so hopefully it'll speed up the healing process.