Rusty Staub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaybo374

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hello all,

This morning at work I received an email from a nice lady in the central office of the school district that I work. She knew that I collect cards and asked if I had heard of Rusty Staub. I knew of the La Grande Orange but never really saw him play. Anyway, she offered to me a collection of his cards. Not thinking much about it, I went down expecting a few dozen or so. When I got there, she handed me a box with 450 or so cards! About a third were in top loaders. The years range from 1964 through a 1986.

I’m now faced with a problem. On the one hand, I could start collecting him. On the other, I don’t have the shelf space for him.

Should I send some of the vintage to COMC and sit on the rest and try to trade them?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

My brother's all-time favorite Met. If I was handed a lot of his cards,being a Mets fan,I'd collect him since it seems like a nice starter lot.

That was a bummer when Rusty died as he was one of the mainstays of my childhood baseball memories. I remember him most as a Tiger hitting 2nd in the lineup behind Ron Leflore.

If you decide to collect him he only has 276 cards so it is not an impossible task. Here is the list of all of his cards.

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Person.cfm/pid/5611/Rusty-Staub-

I'm kind of curious as to how this woman had all those Staub cards. I'm sure that is an interesting back story. I'd guess she was a big Mets fan when he played and started collecting him (assuming she was the actual collector).

I vote that you begin collect him since you do collect some rather out of the ordinary players and 276 cards is not going to take up much shelf space.

Good choice! Rusty is also one of only 3 MLB players to have homered as a teenager and as a 40-yr old. Others are Ty Cobb and Alex Rodriguez. Contrary to some answers to this question, Griffey Jr did not homer in his 40's. -- Jim

Good choice! Rusty is also one of only 3 MLB players to have homered as a teenager and as a 40-yr old. Others are Ty Cobb and Alex Rodriguez. Contrary to some answers to this question, Griffey Jr did not homer in his 40's. -- Jim

I would have guessed ARod, Griffey and Al Kaline and only been 1 out of 3.

Never knew that Staub held that dinstinction. I knew he was relatively close to 3,000 hits. When I started following the game, he was in his pinch hitting years. If memory serves me, he was a pretty good pinch hitter.