Getting a collection appraised

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mm1sub

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I was wondering if anyone has any info about getting their collection appraised for insurance purposes. I live in Massachusetts so if anyone knows anything about this please let me know. I do not know if there is a national service or if it has to be locally done.

Thanks,

Bryon

I have a blanket policy on mine. My agent came out, looked at what all I had, and I told him things are fluid, and changing quite often. So he wrote a policy that doesn't have to be listed. I did have a claim once, and I turned over the cards and a list compiled from Beckett online collections. I wound up getting a check for almost $6500, which was the value of the cards according to Beckett (gotta say, way, way better than trying to sell).

I have a blanket policy on mine. My agent came out, looked at what all I had, and I told him things are fluid, and changing quite often. So he wrote a policy that doesn't have to be listed. I did have a claim once, and I turned over the cards and a list compiled from Beckett online collections. I wound up getting a check for almost $6500, which was the value of the cards according to Beckett (gotta say, way, way better than trying to sell).
Thanks for the information. Collector in my city was robbed.....had a Michael Jordon auto serial to 5 that was taken.......insurance company would not give him a refund for the full amount.....only give him a token amount for it....Best regards, David

I've never tried to do my cards, but I did attempt to get my comic collection insured. It was impossible. It's "too large" and "too valuable" and there's really no good way to put a value on it, and they came up with all kinds of reasons they couldn't insure it.

My collection was covered under a blanket coverage with our homeowners. Just had to inventory my high end stuff with pictures and list sets. After Katrina I had to use a claim which was through state farm and had no issues

I've got to get on this! I called my carrier a while ago, and was told I need to get it appraised and submit it on the appraiser's letterheard. That's where I have a bit of a problem. I'm not sure who could do that. We don't really have any LCS's anymore!
I guess I'll have to start digging and find someone.
Boots