Want to get 1993 SP Jeter Professionally graded- are my concerns valid??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plopowitz

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hi all !! I came into possession of a 1993 SP Derek Jeter Rookie. I haven't studied its condition, but for the purposes of my thread, let's assume that its worthy of professional grading.

I don't have much experience with grading services (I had a 1994 SP Alex Rodriguez graded by PSA, in person, at a show almost 20 years ago).

My concern is this...... If I decide to ship this card to, say, PSA, how do i really know that I'm getting back the same exact card that I sent ??? I'd like to be a trusting person, but lets face it, a PSA 8 Jeter goes for around $300. A PSA 9, over $3000 !!!! Huge difference! Not to mention, a rare PSA 10, $75,000 to possibly $100,000 !

As we all know, the difference between an 8 and a 9 (or a 9 and a 10) can be very miniscule, especially since PSA grades only in whole numbers.

Am I overacting to this concern, or are my issues valid?

Any suggestions or recommendations on how I can more safely go about obtaining grading?

Id appreciate any responses.

Thanks in advance,
Pete

Hi all !! I came into possession of a 1993 SP Derek Jeter Rookie. I haven't studied its condition,

My concern is this...... If I decide to ship this card to, say, PSA, how do i really know that I'm getting back the same exact card that I sent ???

I've always wondered about that myself especially when it comes to modern cards. With the vintage cards there you can always find some flaw on them so it would be difficult to switch cards on one of those. But many of these modern cards look identical with the exception of centering. I don't think your concern about that is unwarranted.

You may want to check that Jeter before you make a decision to mail it to a grading service. I have been told that scratching on the foil front is a big problem with that card so I'd look it over carefully before making a move.

Sorry I could not be of more help but I think your skepticism is warranted just on a common sense basis just like one must be skeptical about the authenticity of autographs that you don't get in person.

What I would like to see is the guidelines they give these people at PSA and others. When you go to a show, some of these "graders" are literally kids with a magnifying glass. I am very suspicious of these folks and grading in general as it has unfortunately become a money maker for many in the business. Your concern is valid, you really can't know if you mail it away.

I am very suspicious of these folks and grading in general

As am I. I'll do my own grading and it is not on a scale of 1 to 10. I look at a card, find the high book and then figure what % of that I believe it is worth. It has worked for me for many decades with no complaints.

Thanks !! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. Don't want to appear paranoid, but lets face it... we don't live in a world of honesty.

Take care and thanks again for your input !!!

Pete, I don't think you have to worry about them switching your card out for a lesser one. But, if you are worried, take many photos of the card noting anything that could identify it or distinguish it from a possible switched out card. any little fleck in the foil could help. Even back centering which is often overlooked by people could help you decide if you got your true card back. They grade "Monster" cards all the time. Good luck if you send it in. Dave