Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Want to get 1993 SP Jeter Professionally graded- are my concerns valid??

Hi all !! I came into possession of a 1993 SP Derek Jeter Rookie. I haven't studied its condition, but for the purposes of my thread, let's assume that its worthy of professional grading.

I don't have much experience with grading services (I had a 1994 SP Alex Rodriguez graded by PSA, in person, at a show almost 20 years ago).

My concern is this...... If I decide to ship this card to, say, PSA, how do i really know that I'm getting back the same exact card that I sent ??? I'd like to be a trusting person, but lets face it, a PSA 8 Jeter goes for around $300. A PSA 9, over $3000 !!!! Huge difference! Not to mention, a rare PSA 10, $75,000 to possibly $100,000 !

As we all know, the difference between an 8 and a 9 (or a 9 and a 10) can be very miniscule, especially since PSA grades only in whole numbers.

Am I overacting to this concern, or are my issues valid?

Any suggestions or recommendations on how I can more safely go about obtaining grading?

Id appreciate any responses.

Thanks in advance,
    Pete
    current interest:
    some vintage/set filling
    1970, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1976 TOPPS
    https://peeterd.webs.com/

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by plopowitz View Post
    Hi all !! I came into possession of a 1993 SP Derek Jeter Rookie. I haven't studied its condition,

My concern is this...... If I decide to ship this card to, say, PSA, how do i really know that I'm getting back the same exact card that I sent ???
    I've always wondered about that myself especially when it comes to modern cards. With the vintage cards there you can always find some flaw on them so it would be difficult to switch cards on one of those. But many of these modern cards look identical with the exception of centering. I don't think your concern about that is unwarranted.

You may want to check that Jeter before you make a decision to mail it to a grading service. I have been told that scratching on the foil front is a big problem with that card so I'd look it over carefully before making a move.

Sorry I could not be of more help but I think your skepticism is warranted just on a common sense basis just like one must be skeptical about the authenticity of autographs that you don't get in person.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Thanks for your input !!!!
    current interest:
    some vintage/set filling
    1970, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1976 TOPPS
    https://peeterd.webs.com/