vintage brag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

myusasets

Prospect
to bad we don't have a regular forum. (just a suggestion) anyway i've always wanted a 71-72 topps basketball sticker insert set (not many do). for at least 15 yrs i've drug along the three aba sticker cards you rarely see at all. last month i had a chance to buy a set short the two tough aba stickers almost all nm. i bought them added my aba stickers and upgraded two stickers to nm. its only money , primo sticker set to go with my primo set.

Congrats! I do not think I knew that set existed! I have a 71-72 card set, but the stickers are a sweet add-on.
I have been curious as to why on the stickers (as on earlier cards) some of the players' photos show them with their uniforms on backwards, i.e. the player's name is on the front! I'm sure there is an explanation.
Thanks!
Boots

Very nice! I have never tried to complete that set as they are very tough to find. As a matter of fact all the inserts from those very early Topps basketball seem to be very tough to find. I know on the 1971-72 sticker set, that the ones I have are mostly the ABA ones as I am very nostalgic about the ABA. Man, I miss that league as well as the old AFL. Throw in the black borders on that set and that is a very nice pickup for you.

Are there 3 ABA stickers that are more rare than the others? If so, which ones are you talking about. Also do you know what that set books for? I have no idea on that as it never shows up in the Beckett's Plus guides and my basketball annual is ancient.

Boots, I have no idea about that backwars, wrong way jersey thing. The one thing it may be is some kind of copyright deal where the card company could not show the official team logos. A lot of 1960s football sets have all the logos on the helmets airbrushed out because of that so maybe Topps just asked the players to wear their jerseys insdie out so collectors could at least see the color schemes for the various teams.

This topic probably should have gone in the card talk room but it is no big deal that it was put here. Congrats again on that very NIIIIIIICE acquisition!!

Last edited:
SM
I thought of the copyright issue, but it is not (pardon the pun) uniform, i.e. there are some guys who are wearing jerseys the correct way. Perhaps the League did not have copyright rights, but teams did?
Would love to know the answer.
Boots
Very nice! I have never tried to complete that set as they are very tough to find. As a matter of fact all the inserts from those very early Topps basketball seem to be very tough to find. I know on the 1971-72 sticker set, that the ones I have are mostly the ABA ones as I am very nostalgic about the ABA. Man, I miss that league as well as the old AFL. Throw in the black borders on that set and that is a very nice pickup for you.

Are there 3 ABA stickers that are more rare than the others? If so, which ones are you talking about. Also do you know what that set books for? I have no idea on that as it never shows up in the Beckett's Plus guides and my basketball annual is ancient.

Boots, I have no idea about that backwars, wrong way jersey thing. The one thing it may be is some kind of copyright deal where the card company could not show the official team logos. A lot of 1960s football sets have all the logos on the helmets airbrushed out because of that so maybe Topps just asked the players to wear their jerseys insdie out so collectors could at least see the color schemes for the various teams.

This topic probably should have gone in the card talk room but it is no big deal that it was put here. Congrats again on that very NIIIIIIICE acquisition!!

hey guys you are right some teams didn't care but some teams wanted to be paid; topps paid the players only. three aba sticker sets with the first common and the other two short , just one nba. black borders says a lot about condition issues and miscuts and off centers of the day add to the problem. at least the stickers have some heft; lots of the 70's inserts were just thin paper and folded. i'm sure they are a nightmare for those collectors. i can't believe many stickers survived being peeled, they are short but not impossible.

As far as I can tell, the current Beckett Online doesn't call them stickers, but rather "Trios." They range from $4 to $80, depending on the players pictured.

As far as I can tell, the current Beckett Online doesn't call them stickers, but rather "Trios." They range from $4 to $80, depending on the players pictured.

I gotta assume the $80 ones are the ones with Alcindor, Marivich and Wilt on them, nne of which I have unfortunately. Do you know the values of the 3 ABA sticker cards which are SPs and have all the team logos on them?

aba stickers i'll call them 22,23,24 beckett lists them at $4,$40,$40 i've never seen them that cheap. beckett also lists the stickers set at ex $400 i've never seen it that cheap.

aba stickers i'll call them 22,23,24 beckett lists them at $4,$40,$40 i've never seen them that cheap. beckett also lists the stickers set at ex $400 i've never seen it that cheap.

Wow! $4.00 to $40.00 is quite a spread! Which ABA sticker card is the cheap one? Is it the one with the Floridians logo in the top Left hand corner or the Virginia Squires or Kentucky Colonels one?

My stickers for this set reflect my love for the old ABA as 80% of my stickers are ABA ones. I remember when I picked these up as I went for the ABA ones, the one with Wes Unseld and the one with Elvin Hayes, all of which reflected my rooting interests of the ABA and the Baltimore/Capital/Washington Bullets back then.

71-72 topps basketball stickers

cha ching my friend . i think you scored, that $40 each is beckett lite pricing and thats as ex pricing. congrats