Target Pack Tampering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JGerutfan9

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Went to my local target tonight to purchase some 2018 Topps Chrome Update. Bought 3 rack packs only to find out someone had searched them and replace the good cards with 2008 Topps Chrome. They resealed and returned the cards for me to purchase. After further inspection, the bottom of the package was cut to slide the packs out and when they were done they slid them back in and resealed it. The top has rigid packaging and the bottom was smooth and straight, should have realized that right away.

bi9yRE9.jpg

Please be on the lookout for shady packaging when purchasing cards at retail stores. I hope no one on this site does this kind of crap.

Eric

Last edited:
I talked to the security manager there and they are aware of the guy doing it. Nothing they can really do but deny his returns because of how small of a dollar amount that’s being tampered with.

It’s not an employee doing it. The customer is doing the work at home and returning to the store to return the “unopened” packs.

Hopefully you got your $$$ back and they shut this guy down at not only this particular Target, but all of them in your area.

I talked to the security manager there and they are aware of the guy doing it. Nothing they can really do but deny his returns because of how small of a dollar amount that’s being tampered with.

It’s not an employee doing it. The customer is doing the work at home and returning to the store to return the “unopened” packs.

That SUCKS. Hopefully they can deny the returns there, but that won't stop him from doing it at other stores.

Ran into this problem at Walmart with the Holiday boxes, replaced all the cards in the packs with regular topps... Gallery Monster boxes were all resealed, so I told the manager and they wanted me to open them up in front of them to prove a point... Found 1989 Topps Cards in the packs...

WOW, that is really ******! Thanks for the heads up..........It's a shame scammers like that exist........Probably not a true collector, just an idiot that's reselling stuff on the bay.........

Also, make sure you check the shrink wrap on the boxes. They should have the word "Topps" printed on the shrink wrap in several places. I bought a 2017 bowman mega box last year and noticed the shrink wrap was totally clear. Sure enough, the mojo refractor packs were missing. Someone had put new shrink wrap over the box. Had to return for a refund.

Also, make sure you check the shrink wrap on the boxes. They should have the word "Topps" printed on the shrink wrap in several places. I bought a 2017 bowman mega box last year and noticed the shrink wrap was totally clear. Sure enough, the mojo refractor packs were missing. Someone had put new shrink wrap over the box. Had to return for a refund.
Thanks for the tip about the shrink wrap! Best regards, David

Also +1, make sure the logos don't scratch off... People have stamps they use to put the logos back on it... If you scratch it, and it rubs off, it's fake. If it doesn't, it's the real deal.

Wow! I had no idea that pack tampering still went on for a variety of reasons. First, is I thought the packs were tamper proof since the advent of foil packs in the late 1980s. Pack tampering was widespread in the 1980s when cards were getting hot and older wax and rack packs still can be a worry if you buy them now. Secondly, the card collecting hobby is only a tiny fraction of what it used to be so tampering would be a waste of time and energy (or so I thought).

I admit that I have not bought a pack of current issue cards since 1992 so I am out of touch with what is going on with newer cards but this is a major shock to me that this still goes on all these decades later!! The more things change, the more they stay the same, it seems.

Sad news that makes what should be a fun experience less enjoyable. This is especially sad with the decline in the number of LCS' which means that for many getting new product means going to one of the big box stores.
I don't buy much off the rack stuff from Target or Walmart, but if/when I do, I'll try to keep this thread in mind!
Boots