Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Advice on a trade gone wrong-ish

Hi folks,

Could use some advice here.

I worked out a trade with someone on a different site. The centerpiece of what I was getting was a high-value (about $50) early 70s HOF card which he described as being in NM. I guess I should have asked him for a scan, because now that I've received it, the card is extremely Off Center. Other than that, it might be NM, but the centering definitely takes its eye appeal down.

So a little advice from my bench friends--what should I do? I put a lot of work into this trade and I'd rather not ask to reverse it. I guess my options are:

1. Chalk it up to caveat emptor and not say anything.
    2. Mention it to him as a minor complaint and see what he says
    3. Ask him for something else as a makeup card.
    4. Something other option?

Have never really faced this in my trading history and I'm not sure about the ettiquette. Thanks in advance.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating
    Jerry Rice

Go to cjay101's ebay items
    Go to cjay101's comc items

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtfan View Post
    Hi folks,

Could use some advice here.

I worked out a trade with someone on a different site. The centerpiece of what I was getting was a high-value (about $50) early 70s HOF card which he described as being in NM. I guess I should have asked him for a scan, because now that I've received it, the card is extremely Off Center. Other than that, it might be NM, but the centering definitely takes its eye appeal down.

So a little advice from my bench friends--what should I do? I put a lot of work into this trade and I'd rather not ask to reverse it. I guess my options are:

1. Chalk it up to caveat emptor and not say anything.
    2. Mention it to him as a minor complaint and see what he says
    3. Ask him for something else as a makeup card.
    4. Something other option?

Have never really faced this in my trading history and I'm not sure about the ettiquette. Thanks in advance.
    #1 is the only route if you didn't ask for a scan initially. I've been both burned and pleasantly surprised, but that's what you get when dealing with vintage and not having a scan.

Just my opinion.
    Senior Advisor in Title Only

I collect anything and everything Jerry Rice! Always looking for any I don't have!

My Wantlist

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to tribe99's ebay items

Personally I'd try #2. The guy needs to know you're perturbed and he had no business sending you an off-centered card without even mentioning it. At the very least you'd be doing the trading community a favor, since next time he'll be more likely to mention it.
    Top 5 Wants to finish sets:
    1997 Donruss Team Set Yankees Pennant Edition 129 D. Gooden
    2004 Donruss Classics Legendary Lumberjacks LB18 B. Robinson
    2006 Topps Declaration of Independence A. Clark
    1995 Stadium Club Clear Cut 16 A. Belle
    2016 Topps Wal Mart 6 J. Urias

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating
    Kevin McReynolds

Go to cdorso's comc items

I agree with dale; #2 is probably worth a try. You might get nothing out of it, but I know I've inadvertently done that in the past here -- overestimating condition -- and if the other person is fair, hopefully they'll try to make it right as best they can.
    Collecting: Kevin McReynolds, Keith Hernandez, Pete Harnisch, and Mets autographs
    Mets fans! Join the discussion at the Crane Pool Forum.
    tradelist: Google Doc http://bit.ly/wOIKng needlist: Google Doc http://bit.ly/wVFOp3

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to anglinomics's ebay items

fyi the centering for a nm card should be 70/30 to 60/40.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to lookin4deals36's ebay items

I think the lesson has been learned. Ask to see a scan or pic of a higher end card on any trade or sale. My choice ia A: Chalk it up!
    PC: Longoria, Tulowitzki, Kemp, Pujols, Griffey Jr, Randy Johnson, Chipper Jones, Helton, Biggio, Bagwell, Giancarlo (Mike) Stanton, Votto, Derek Jeter
    I trade by BV:

http://southernsportscards.webs.com/home
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/southe...tscards/albums

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

I'd say a combination of 2 and 3. I'd tell him your problem with the card and ask him to add something to make up for the value difference between the $50 and whatever you think the card is worth.
    Last edited by SymphonicMetal; 12-05-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to collectorskip's ebay items

I agree with SymphonicMetal.
    If it was done intentionally, he'll know that he's been caught and he isn't being allowed to skate, at least without being called on it, even if there is nothing coming back to even the trade up. If so, you might be able warn other traders about him
    If it was unintentional, he'll be educated and, if he's honorable, will try to make it right.
    Good luck, whatever you do.
    Boots
    On small trades I use PWE but'll use a bubble mailer if you ask.
    Slow trader. Please be patient: I love trading, but I don't have enuf time for it, so it takes me a while.

Check my site: http://www.freewebs.com/frankpell/ for wants and trade items.
    "CMB"'s will be ignored. Sorry.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I agree with SymphonicMetal.
    That is something you should ALWAYS do. It will serve you well in life. LMAO!!

I actually just had the exact opposite experience thankfully. I received a very nice vintage card that was undervalued in a recent trade with a member here (the 2nd trade with this member). Because I have been very happy with my 2 trades with him, I added $20 more in my current (3rd) trade with him to make up for the shortfall on the card I had received. This does not make me a wonderful guy (although by my own admission I am wonderful) for doing this but I am getting very nice cards from this member and don't want to lose this trading partner by getting over on him on an undervalued card. So doing this benefits both of us in the long and short term.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Thank you all for the feedback. I did send him a nice message pointing out the OCness of the card; we'll see what happens.

And in the future, I'll ask for scans. I like to be trusting, but there's the old line about "trust but verify"

And yes, SymphonicMetal, you are wonderful.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtfan View Post
    Thank you all for the feedback. I did send him a nice message pointing out the OCness of the card; we'll see what happens.

And in the future, I'll ask for scans. I like to be trusting, but there's the old line about "trust but verify"

And yes, SymphonicMetal, you are wonderful.
    I think you probably handled it well - a note saying you may have mis-judged the condition isn't meant to be mean, it is meant to help. I honestly believe that 90% of folks have no idea how to judge the grade of a vintage card. Four sharp corners does NOT make it Mint. So many other factors go into it - and diamond cuts are the ones that drive me insane - scans are definitely the way to go. There are multiple members here on The Bench that I have traded with enough that I trust their grades, minus the scan, but those members are truly few and far between.
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

Bench User Page has my most wanted and trade lists for 2011/12 Topps

wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by katester44 View Post
    I think you probably handled it well - a note saying you may have mis-judged the condition isn't meant to be mean, it is meant to help. I honestly believe that 90% of folks have no idea how to judge the grade of a vintage card. Four sharp corners does NOT make it Mint. So many other factors go into it - and diamond cuts are the ones that drive me insane - scans are definitely the way to go. There are multiple members here on The Bench that I have traded with enough that I trust their grades, minus the scan, but those members are truly few and far between.
    It's the right course of action. A lot of people say its "in good condition for his age" which is kind of irrelevant, it's either NM or it isn't whether it was produced today or 100 years ago. People tend to have rose colored glasses when grading their own cards.

Many people that came to collecting in the past 25 or so years don't understand how many v cards came out of the pack OC and that's why the values for truly NM copies are so high.
    Collecting 1 of every Yankee card ever made
    Count 1/25/2018: 43,134 different