Advice on a trade gone wrong-ish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schmidtfan

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hi folks,

Could use some advice here.

I worked out a trade with someone on a different site. The centerpiece of what I was getting was a high-value (about $50) early 70s HOF card which he described as being in NM. I guess I should have asked him for a scan, because now that I've received it, the card is extremely Off Center. Other than that, it might be NM, but the centering definitely takes its eye appeal down.

So a little advice from my bench friends--what should I do? I put a lot of work into this trade and I'd rather not ask to reverse it. I guess my options are:

1. Chalk it up to caveat emptor and not say anything.
2. Mention it to him as a minor complaint and see what he says
3. Ask him for something else as a makeup card.
4. Something other option?

Have never really faced this in my trading history and I'm not sure about the ettiquette. Thanks in advance.

Hi folks,

Could use some advice here.

I worked out a trade with someone on a different site. The centerpiece of what I was getting was a high-value (about $50) early 70s HOF card which he described as being in NM. I guess I should have asked him for a scan, because now that I've received it, the card is extremely Off Center. Other than that, it might be NM, but the centering definitely takes its eye appeal down.

So a little advice from my bench friends--what should I do? I put a lot of work into this trade and I'd rather not ask to reverse it. I guess my options are:

1. Chalk it up to caveat emptor and not say anything.
2. Mention it to him as a minor complaint and see what he says
3. Ask him for something else as a makeup card.
4. Something other option?

Have never really faced this in my trading history and I'm not sure about the ettiquette. Thanks in advance.

#1 is the only route if you didn't ask for a scan initially. I've been both burned and pleasantly surprised, but that's what you get when dealing with vintage and not having a scan.

Just my opinion.

Personally I'd try #2. The guy needs to know you're perturbed and he had no business sending you an off-centered card without even mentioning it. At the very least you'd be doing the trading community a favor, since next time he'll be more likely to mention it.

I agree with dale; #2 is probably worth a try. You might get nothing out of it, but I know I've inadvertently done that in the past here -- overestimating condition -- and if the other person is fair, hopefully they'll try to make it right as best they can.

I think the lesson has been learned. Ask to see a scan or pic of a higher end card on any trade or sale. My choice ia A: Chalk it up!

I'd say a combination of 2 and 3. I'd tell him your problem with the card and ask him to add something to make up for the value difference between the $50 and whatever you think the card is worth.

Last edited:
I agree with SymphonicMetal.
If it was done intentionally, he'll know that he's been caught and he isn't being allowed to skate, at least without being called on it, even if there is nothing coming back to even the trade up. If so, you might be able warn other traders about him
If it was unintentional, he'll be educated and, if he's honorable, will try to make it right.
Good luck, whatever you do.
Boots

I agree with SymphonicMetal.

That is something you should ALWAYS do. It will serve you well in life. LMAO!!

I actually just had the exact opposite experience thankfully. I received a very nice vintage card that was undervalued in a recent trade with a member here (the 2nd trade with this member). Because I have been very happy with my 2 trades with him, I added $20 more in my current (3rd) trade with him to make up for the shortfall on the card I had received. This does not make me a wonderful guy (although by my own admission I am wonderful) for doing this but I am getting very nice cards from this member and don't want to lose this trading partner by getting over on him on an undervalued card. So doing this benefits both of us in the long and short term.

Thank you all for the feedback. I did send him a nice message pointing out the OCness of the card; we'll see what happens.

And in the future, I'll ask for scans. I like to be trusting, but there's the old line about "trust but verify"

And yes, SymphonicMetal, you are wonderful. :)

Thank you all for the feedback. I did send him a nice message pointing out the OCness of the card; we'll see what happens.

And in the future, I'll ask for scans. I like to be trusting, but there's the old line about "trust but verify"

And yes, SymphonicMetal, you are wonderful. :)

I think you probably handled it well - a note saying you may have mis-judged the condition isn't meant to be mean, it is meant to help. I honestly believe that 90% of folks have no idea how to judge the grade of a vintage card. Four sharp corners does NOT make it Mint. So many other factors go into it - and diamond cuts are the ones that drive me insane - scans are definitely the way to go. There are multiple members here on The Bench that I have traded with enough that I trust their grades, minus the scan, but those members are truly few and far between.

I think you probably handled it well - a note saying you may have mis-judged the condition isn't meant to be mean, it is meant to help. I honestly believe that 90% of folks have no idea how to judge the grade of a vintage card. Four sharp corners does NOT make it Mint. So many other factors go into it - and diamond cuts are the ones that drive me insane - scans are definitely the way to go. There are multiple members here on The Bench that I have traded with enough that I trust their grades, minus the scan, but those members are truly few and far between.

It's the right course of action. A lot of people say its "in good condition for his age" which is kind of irrelevant, it's either NM or it isn't whether it was produced today or 100 years ago. People tend to have rose colored glasses when grading their own cards.

Many people that came to collecting in the past 25 or so years don't understand how many v cards came out of the pack OC and that's why the values for truly NM copies are so high.