Sold! 1990-91 Hoops Mark Jackson Card #205 with Menendez brothers in background

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

this Mark Jackson card is now up there with the 1990 Fleer #74 Jose Uribe and 1989 Donruss #604 Alex Madrid

pleading complete ignorance on these two??? Why are the Uribe/Madrid cards comparable?

I saw the article yesterday about the Jackson card - I have no clue why that would make the card bounce in price. AS stated earlier in the thread - there are probably 5 million of this card available. There truly is a sucker born EVERY minute.

For those with cards up on Ebay - I wish you nothing but prosperity on your listings for this card!!

pleading complete ignorance on these two??? Why are the Uribe/Madrid cards comparable?

I saw the article yesterday about the Jackson card - I have no clue why that would make the card bounce in price.

im familiar with the uribe but no clue on the madrid.....

as for the price surge for this card ....well that's easy.....there are only so many collectors and obviously not all collect basketball so there are only so many people who do collect basketball cards....for a nearly 30-year old mass produced card that features a minor star , most people who want one (for a set , player collection , team collection , etc) already have all they need so naturally supply far outweighs demand....

now you bring this card to the attention of those who don't usually collect cards....there are plenty people who collect "(serial) killer" or "notorious criminal" memorabilia...add them to those now looking to acquire this "new" treasure and the demand increases , but still not enough to eat up the seemingly endless supply....but once the card hits social media and goes viral , many more people will see it and just want it to be part of the trend.....now demand goes through the roof with literally millions of potential new "collectors" tapping into the supply.....many of these people that are suddenly introduced to the buyer pool have little to no knowledge of cards and that lack of knowledge can lead them to pay and pay dearly for their new toy....

will the trend last ? not likely ....will the card ever fall back to the levels prior to this past week ? also not likely...even if it does come crashing back to earth , that $.10 card from last week will likely settle in as a $1 or $2 card , perhaps even $5....

!

look up those two cards on E-Bay right now...
it's one of those chain-pranks that people keep alive. Those two cards were just kinda picked totally at random by the original jokers years ago and the gag has stayed alive on E-Bay for years now.

this Mark Jackson card is now up there with the 1990 Fleer #74 Jose Uribe and 1989 Donruss #604 Alex Madrid

If you mean joining them in the ranks of scams, you would be correct. Here is a blog explaining the Uribe card and I am certain much of the same nonsense is going on with the Mark Jackson card.

http://bsportscards.com/1990-fleer-jose-uribe/

I believe most of the EBAY sales of this card are fake where a seller gets some of his friends to "buy" the card, give stellar reviews and drum up artificial "demand" for this card hoping to get high impulse/low information people to bite. There are listings over there that claim the card is 'rare" and "in time for the holidays" as well as the best one........."the hot Menendez Brothers".

These auctions are not designed for any card collectors who would have even a minimal knowledge of the hobby but rather the unsuspecting, esily impressionable dunce who wants the next "hot" thing. Basicly you have a bunch of people who are attempting to turn chicken droppings into chicken salad.

Upon further review, It is logical for Beckett's to boost the price of this card as many people will now send it into their grading service hoping to have a perfect 10 and there fore a "valuable" card. There will be a short term rush to get this card graded before the bottom falls out of the market for it

Do you know what the difference between a graded 10 1990-91 Hoops card and a pile of monkey crap is? Not a thing.

1990-91 Hoops is very possibly the most over produced basketball card issue in history. Since this card is not a variation there is no way it can be anywhere near a $10+ card. The supply FAR outstrips the demand and it always will no matter how "hot' some are saying it is.

This thread has become really interesting...really enjoying hearing all of the different perspectives...and fun thinking back to the other cards that became more collectible/valuable for various reasons over the years.

If you mean joining them in the ranks of scams, you would be correct. Here is a blog explaining the Uribe card and I am certain much of the same nonsense is going on with the Mark Jackson card.

http://bsportscards.com/1990-fleer-jose-uribe/

I believe most of the EBAY sales of this card are fake where a seller gets some of his friends to "buy" the card, give stellar reviews and drum up artificial "demand" for this card hoping to get high impulse/low information people to bite. There are listings over there that claim the card is 'rare" and "in time for the holidays" as well as the best one........."the hot Menendez Brothers".

These auctions are not designed for any card collectors who would have even a minimal knowledge of the hobby but rather the unsuspecting, esily impressionable dunce who wants the next "hot" thing. Basicly you have a bunch of people who are attempting to turn chicken droppings into chicken salad.

Upon further review, It is logical for Beckett's to boost the price of this card as many people will now send it into their grading service hoping to have a perfect 10 and there fore a "valuable" card. There will be a short term rush to get this card graded before the bottom falls out of the market for it

Do you know what the difference between a graded 10 1990-91 Hoops card and a pile of monkey crap is? Not a thing.

1990-91 Hoops is very possibly the most over produced basketball card issue in history. Since this card is not a variation there is no way it can be anywhere near a $10+ card. The supply FAR outstrips the demand and it always will no matter how "hot' some are saying it is.

the uribe is indeed merely hype and most sales are artificial....the mark jackson card is completely different.....the card made the news (albeit social media as the initial platform) and almost instantly garnered much attention from millions of people who are not card collectors....many people do collect memorabilia featuring notorious/infamous "celebrities" ....when you add those people , most of whom had no prior interest in this card , the demand side of the equation grows quite a bit , possibly even exponentially....then when it goes viral you have millions more introduced to it , many of whom just want to have one because of the publicity....that again increases the pool of potential buyers perhaps exponentially .....at this point , demand finally begins to outweigh supply even for such a mass-produced card....while the increased demand may be created by hype and social media , this is at least true demand from actual buyers ....

as for beckett raising the price...it has nothing to do with grading...they did that because the card is CURRENTLY SELLING at those levels....if you still can't fathom it , just check out the results of sold items on ebay....simple fact is MANY MANY people ARE willing to pay for them just to have one for posterity's sake....

1990-91 hoops cards are pretty lousy in general in terms of condition , partially due to their condition straight from the pack and partially due to them being roughly hadled by many who saw them as worthless...as such , gem mint cards actually can be rather pricey....a raw $2 michael jordan suddenly transforms into an $80 gem mint card....no , it's not up there with a 52 mantle , a trout rookie , or an acuna red refractor auto , but it's still a nice little bump....

and finally ....because of the potential addition of literally millions of people to the demand side of the equation , it is quite possible that demand WILL outweigh supply for this card even if it is a temporary demand.....

Millions of people? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! After seeing that nonsense I did not even bother reading the rest of your word salad. You're practically salivating at the prospect of getting over on nitwits with these junk cards.

Millions of people? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! After seeing that nonsense I did not even bother reading the rest of your word salad. You're practically salivating at the prospect of getting over on nitwits with these junk cards.

why am i not surprised ?? especially coming from someone who writes so many tangential novels here and who loves to offer pricing help - from his 3 year old paper guide...ya know , it IS ok to not offer BV's when you don't actually have access to them...but i digress...let me get back on topic....

remember - it was you that posted that you'd be surprised if people paid 15 for this card - 3 or days after that trend had already taken hold...and it was you who said you would be shocked if beckett raised their BV to anything higher than $1 or $2 - the day after they had already upped it to $25....

simple fact is , the story of this card went viral , introducing it to MILLIONS - yes MILLIONS - of people who had likely never seen one or even heard of mark jackson.....now , regardless of who wants the card , why they want it , and how much they are willing to pay , the fact is demand is incredibly strong and the card is selling at unprecedented levels.....do i expect it to last ? no...do i expect the card to ever book at a mere dime again ? no....

as for me "salivating at the prospect of getting over" , frankly i do NEED to raise as much as i can get before my repossession , eviction , and foreclosures have me on the street but i'm not trying to get over on anyone ... with your lack of interest in reading , i really don't expect you to know or care what i'm talking about and i won't go into it any further here...that said , i have sold 2 of these (though you'll never know it since you won't read this far down , my prices were well below the norm when i created my listing) and have 4 more available now....if i have something that someone else wants more than me , why not sell it ? it's not like i'm claiming it is rare or over-hyping it ...my listings only note that it's a mark jackson card that has garnered lots of national attention since the recent discovery of the brothers in the background....

You know with your expertise on business and economics Claude, if I were you I'd ditch this flea market thing and go right to Wall Street where you are sure to be hired by a firm for a high 6 figure salary. And then your woes would be a thing of the past.

You know with your expertise on business and economics Claude, if I were you I'd ditch this flea market thing and go right to Wall Street where you are sure to be hired by a firm for a high 6 figure salary. And then your woes would be a thing of the past.

DAAAAAMMMN, Jeff!

...okay, back to the thread... hey, good luck to grapler135s or cmcjr99 if they want to sell this card and make money off of dumb people, but count me out. I understand that The Menendez brothers are only in the background of Mark Jackson's card (who he himself is a pretty good/normal dude), but to Hell with collecting Aaron Hernandez, OJ Simpson, Chris Benoit, Rae Carruth, Ray Lewis, Leonard Little, Donté Stallworth or any other jerk-bags --- There are sooooo many different fun things to collect in this hobby, why spend any time or money on morbid curiosities?
to each his own, I suppose.

Last edited:
look up those two cards on E-Bay right now...
it's one of those chain-pranks that people keep alive. Those two cards were just kinda picked totally at random by the original jokers years ago and the gag has stayed alive on E-Bay for years now.

It took me a bit to figure things out, but now recall seeing the Uribe card lately - they were saying that it was potentially a way to launder money. Buy worthless cards at an EXTREME premium and Ebay scrubs your dollars for you no muss, no fuss.