Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

The Bench 2019 Sports Talk Thread

New year...new thread! As always, if there is something bigger than this thread, it will earn its own thread! It did seem to do pretty well last year, so we will do it again this year.....

Eight coaches lose their jobs in the NFL - including Marvin Lewis...FINALLY. I know he rebuilt that team out of nothing, but 0-7 in the playoffs and a culture that seemed to border on out of control at times, time to go. Sort of the exact opposite in Arizona where Steve Wilkes was let go after a year...didn't seem like he had a chance to build anything, knowing they were going to stink anyway this year. So the job openings are - Jets, Bucs, Cardinals, Bengals, Packers, Browns, Dolphins...and slipping my mind is the 8th team...

Clemson and Alabama in the national title game for the 3rd time in 4 years. But somehow it doesn't seem as played out as Warriors/Cavs in the NBA Finals. Both the semifinal games were relatively drama free.
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

Bench User Page has my most wanted and trade lists for 2011/12 Topps

wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by katester44 View Post
    New year...new thread! As always, if there is something bigger than this thread, it will earn its own thread! It did seem to do pretty well last year, so we will do it again this year.....

Eight coaches lose their jobs in the NFL So the job openings are - Jets, Bucs, Cardinals, Bengals, Packers, Browns, Dolphins...and slipping my mind is the 8th team...
    That would be the Broncos with Vance "Having the time of his life" Joseph getting the axe.

For those of you who don't get the "time of his life" reference, thie following short video clip will explain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F0f013sLIo

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicMetal View Post
    That would be the Broncos with Vance "Having the time of his life" Joseph getting the axe.

For those of you who don't get the "time of his life" reference, thie following short video clip will explain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F0f013sLIo

Thanks for the reminder on both counts - I remember that Dipp guy doing that intro..just brutal. But hey, he is on national TV getting paid and I am not...

UCF finally lost a college football game.....Lost by 8 to an SEC "powerhouse", wonder if having their starting QB would have tipped the scales in UCF's favor... Ohio St. sends Urban Meyer out as a "winner". All fun and games, but so far only two bowl games have mattered, and you can a third to that list on Monday night.

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

I'd have felt sorry for him but his follow up over dramatic apology killed that. It was so embarrassing I think it was taken down on Youtube.

The 4 team championship tournament has absolutely killed any interest in the bowl games for me and many others judging from sports talk radio. New Year's Day used to be special with the 4 or 5 bowl games traditionally played. Now they are just afterthoughts. I don't think I watched more than 5 minutes total of all the bowl games this year except for the national semi finals. The most interesting thing that happened was Michigan getting smoked and Texas showing UGA did not belong in the final 4.

I did not even watch a minute of Michigan State in the Breadbox Bowl.

Oh wait........the Bevo/Uga confrontation was both interesting and scary if you were poor UGA and anyone else in that vicinity!!

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicMetal View Post
    I'd have felt sorry for him but his follow up over dramatic apology killed that. It was so embarrassing I think it was taken down on Youtube.

The 4 team championship tournament has absolutely killed any interest in the bowl games for me and many others judging from sports talk radio. New Year's Day used to be special with the 4 or 5 bowl games traditionally played. Now they are just afterthoughts. I don't think I watched more than 5 minutes total of all the bowl games this year except for the national semi finals. The most interesting thing that happened was Michigan getting smoked and Texas showing UGA did not belong in the final 4.

I did not even watch a minute of Michigan State in the Breadbox Bowl.

Oh wait........the Bevo/Uga confrontation was both interesting and scary if you were poor UGA and anyone else in that vicinity!!
    I can't disagree with you - the sheer number of bowls has overtaken the ability to care about any of them. There are three games that count - and those are the semis and the final. The "real" best day of college football now is conference championship Saturday. I watched more games than, than I have since bowl season started.

Bevo/UGA was great. Bettors should have taken their cue from that outcome.......

More importantly - the PGA season kicks off today at 3pm EST with the Sentry Tournament of Champions in Hawaii. Tiger won't be teeing it up until the tour hits Cali in a couple weeks, but good to have golf back in the life!

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to tigger0008's ebay items
    Go to David K.'s comc items

Better that this week the playoffs start on Sat/Sun! Chargers are pretty good road team....7-1. Best regards, David
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Sat Contest for Tom Seaver auto has been posted!

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

The list of eligible players eligible to get into the pro football HOF came out today. I did not see the whole list but there were 3 first timers on it all of whom seem tome to be locks for the Hall.......Tony Gonzalez, Ed Reed and Champ Bailey. The first two guys seem to be first ballot guys and Bailey a second ballot at the very worst.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

A Great weekend......NFL, NBA, NHL, NCAA Braketball, Plus College playoff start on Monday. Best regards, David
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Sat Contest for Tom Seaver auto has been posted!

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating
    Jeremy Guthrie

Go to zlw1's ebay items

Who all do you have this weekend for NFL Playoff Games?
    Today it's
    Indy @ Houston (-1.5)
    Seattle @ Dallas (-2)

Tomorrow it's
    L.A. Chargers @ Baltimore (-2)
    Philly @ Chicago (-6.5)

I'd take Houston to cover 27-24, Dallas to Cover 23-17, Baltimore to Cover 26-17, and Philly +6.5... Not sure if Philly will beat Chicago straight up though. I'd take Chicago 31-27

And if all this happens
    The following week it would be
    Houston @ New England (New England held on to beat Houston earlier this year)
    Baltimore @ Kansas City (Close game went to K.C. earlier 4th/9 Mahomes throw)
    Chicago @ L.A. Rams (Chicago won definitively earlier this year)
    Dallas @ New Orleans. (Dallas beat them earlier this year 13-10)
    I'd pick straight up Baltimore, New England, L.A. Rams, Chicago and New Orleans would win those matchups.
    Chicago @ New Orleans
    Baltimore @ New England
    I won't pick LIII yet because, usually those picks above are never right

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to collectorskip's ebay items

Just to throw in a little "controversy", I'm picking all four road teams to win this weekend!
    Boots
    Quote Originally Posted by zlw1 View Post
    Who all do you have this weekend for NFL Playoff Games?
    Today it's
    Indy @ Houston (-1.5)
    Seattle @ Dallas (-2)

Tomorrow it's
    L.A. Chargers @ Baltimore (-2)
    Philly @ Chicago (-6.5)

I'd take Houston to cover 27-24, Dallas to Cover 23-17, Baltimore to Cover 26-17, and Philly +6.5... Not sure if Philly will beat Chicago straight up though. I'd take Chicago 31-27

And if all this happens
    The following week it would be
    Houston @ New England (New England held on to beat Houston earlier this year)
    Baltimore @ Kansas City (Close game went to K.C. earlier 4th/9 Mahomes throw)
    Chicago @ L.A. Rams (Chicago won definitively earlier this year)
    Dallas @ New Orleans. (Dallas beat them earlier this year 13-10)
    I'd pick straight up Baltimore, New England, L.A. Rams, Chicago and New Orleans would win those matchups.
    Chicago @ New Orleans
    Baltimore @ New England
    I won't pick LIII yet because, usually those picks above are usually never right
    On small trades I use PWE but'll use a bubble mailer if you ask.
    Slow trader. Please be patient: I love trading, but I don't have enuf time for it, so it takes me a while.

Check my site: http://www.freewebs.com/frankpell/ for wants and trade items.
    "CMB"'s will be ignored. Sorry.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Ind colts 21 over Houston Texians 7......Best regards, David

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

So far, one for one!
    Boots
    Slow trader. Please be patient: I love trading, but I don't have enuf time for it, so it takes me a while.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Cowboys beat the Seahawks 24-22, thus ruining my "roadie" theory.
    Oh well...
    On to tomorrow's games.
    Boots

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating
    Jeremy Guthrie

Go to zlw1's ebay items

Should be a good round today. The Texans game was a typical Bill O'Brien stinker. But at least the night game was a solid football game. Dak did just enough to keep his team in.

I still think if the Ravens Offense can continue to pound the ball on the athletic Chargers Defense, and make enough stops on Melvin Gordon, forcing Rivers to throw, it'll be a one dimensional offense that they should be able to handle.
    As far as the Philadelphia/Chicago game tonight, it's a toss up in my opinion because you don't know what you will get out of Trubisky, but you know you'll see a tough Bears D and an Inspired Nick Foles type offense like last years team. It's a toss up in my opinion, but, I still think Chicago will edge them.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Dallas 24 over Seattle 22 NFL playoffs. Best regards, David