Back to trading and it sure has changed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockinyou

Rookie
5.00 star(s)
My name is Rick and I had to stop collecting for some time due to my health. Now I've gotten back into it and it sure has changed. The situation that the Beckett price guides or any price guide and ebay sales have created, is making it difficult to trade and sell collectables these days. It could just be my imagination, but I'm just saying that things have changed a lot. I stopped buying on ebay after they made pay pal the only option to pay for your purchases. My bank was charging me for pay pal transactions and I'm not sure, but pay pal might charge fee's too. They even have reprints available of cards that are in high demand, like Tom Brady rookies and I'm not even sure I could tell the difference, between an original Tom Brady rookie and a reprint. I'm going to keep trying anyway, but it makes things a lot harder to collect and trade these days.

Welcome! I agree - a lot has changed. I came back to the hobby for the first time (first time since my childhood) in about '06 or '07 and was blown away with how it had changed. I then drifted away from the hobby around 2010 and recently have come back and am again blown away by how much has changed in the last 7-8 years.

Welcome! I agree - a lot has changed. I came back to the hobby for the first time (first time since my childhood) in about '06 or '07 and was blown away with how it had changed. I then drifted away from the hobby around 2010 and recently have come back and am again blown away by how much has changed in the last 7-8 years.
I can't understand why a card company would issue a reprint of cards they initially printed either, it might be counter productive. Why buy a Adrian Peterson Chrome rookie, when I can pick up a 2010 reprint for little or nothing and they look alike, except for the back of the card. I have a 2000 Fleer/Skybox Tom Brady #27 rookie that I'll probably have to get graded and authenticated, because there are so many reprints on ebay and I'm not even sure where they're coming from. They grade comics now too, but once they are encased, you can't take it out and check out the artwork or story line on the inside. I think the players have changed too! They definitely don't make them like Harmon Killebrew anymore and I think they forget that the fans ultimately pay their multimillion dollar contracts. I met Kevin McHale once and asked him for an autograph and he acted like I was the most insignificant person on the face of the earth and declined my request and I thought, no big deal he's busy, whatever. Then I asked my girlfriend if she would go ask him for an autograph and he was more than happy to sign for her! Oh well, that's life and it is what it is.

I totally see what you're saying, Rick, and welcome back. You'll find good people here who will be honest and upfront with you on trades, and I've found that most of us are pretty loose on things like book value and sell value as long as both sides are getting what they want. Throw a tradelist and a wantlist together and make some trades! :)