Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

The 2019 NBA Playoffs Thread

With the NBA playoffs kicking off Saturday, figured we could get the hoops discussion going.

Most intriguing to me is the potential 2nd round matchups:

Rockets/Warriors
    76ers/Raptors

I feel like the NBA champion is coming out of those 4 teams.

Celtics took a big hit for the early rounds losing Marcus Smart for 4 - 6 weeks -- fortunately, that only equates to about 5 games worth of playoff time....
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

Bench User Page has my most wanted and trade lists for 2011/12 Topps

wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

It is a weird year this year with the East having more quality teams at the top (Bucks, 76ers, Raptors and maybe Celtics) but the West having more depth 1 through 8. I think the 8th seed in the West has 48 wins where the East has several teams barely above .500.

I don't see anyone challenging the Warriors in the West but do think there are several teams in the East that might. After seeing the Rockets quit against the Kawaii-less Spurs in the playoffs 2 years ago, I'll never buy into that team in its' current form......meaning Harden led.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicMetal View Post
    It is a weird year this year with the East having more quality teams at the top (Bucks, 76ers, Raptors and maybe Celtics) but the West having more depth 1 through 8. I think the 8th seed in the West has 48 wins where the East has several teams barely above .500.

I don't see anyone challenging the Warriors in the West but do think there are several teams in the East that might. After seeing the Rockets quit against the Kawaii-less Spurs in the playoffs 2 years ago, I'll never buy into that team in its' current form......meaning Harden led.
    You may be right regarding the Rockets -- everyone points to the Paul injury that cost the Rockets game 7 against the Warriors last year, but had sort of forgotten that Igudola was out the last three games of that series - which may have had a tiny impact.

Hopefully Embiid is healthy enough to put the Sixers on his back. I love BOBON, but he isn't Embiid!

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

As mentioned above Embid has a knee problem and may not play in game 1. And Paul George has a shoulder problem and is day to day although his status seems to have been upgraded since yesterday when he was said to be out for game 1.

All four ABA teams (Spurs, Nuggets, Nets and Pacers) made the playoffs this year. I wonder how many times that has happened? I'll have to research that to satisfy my own curiosity on that. If only the Q's, the Tams, the Miami Floridians (along with their bikini clad ball girls), the Squires, Colonels, Chaparrals and the Spirits of St Louis were in the playoffs, I could die a happy man! LOL I miss the ABA.

Well actually the Chaparrals are in the Playoffs this year under the name San Antonio Spurs.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

If the AAF can't compete with the NFL anymore...no chance the ABA could survive against the NBA..right???? I know I wouldn't watch it, just because the current NBA season runs from what..October through July???It is overkill by the time it is done. The playoffs start in April and end in July? Late June?? That is a full two months plus. March Madness, three weeks and done. NFL Playoffs - 4 weeks and done. Don't make the best part of the season last longer than the regular season!!

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by katester44 View Post
    If the AAF can't compete with the NFL anymore...no chance the ABA could survive against the NBA..right???? I know I wouldn't watch it, just because the current NBA season runs from what..October through July???It is overkill by the time it is done. The playoffs start in April and end in July? Late June?? That is a full two months plus. March Madness, three weeks and done. NFL Playoffs - 4 weeks and done. Don't make the best part of the season last longer than the regular season!!
    The ABA played at the exact same time of the year that the NBA did. That league is more comparable to the AFL in the 1960s going head to head against the NFL. The ABA was loaded with talent, so much so, that a year or two after the merger either 10 or 14 of the 24 NBA All Stars were former ABAers. Dr J, McGinnis, Gilmore, David Thompson, Gervin etc etc were all the equals of their NBA counterparts. Money was the obvious difference for the ABA just like it was for the AFL. Both leagues forced a merger with their more traditional rivals unlike the AAF which just folded and played their season when the established league's season was done.

And remember the 3 point shot was an ABA invention!! And sometimes I think the dunk was too since the ABA seemed to have more high flyers than the NBA. Starting with DR. J and David Thompson the ABA certainly had the top 2 dunkers in that era.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

symphonic metal
    you mentioned the aba you forgot a couple of teams from the city of champions the PGH Rens and THe Pgh Pipers My man Connie played then for them
    former Pgh Ren tryout player
    GO STEELERS GO

DICK GROAT, BILL MAZAROSKI AND
    CONNIE HAWKINS FAN

looking for 72, topps football

RIP Mr Fatboycards
    You may have left us way to early but you will never be forgoten

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to tigger0008's ebay items
    Go to David K.'s comc items

Golden State Warriors will be favorites again. Best regards, David
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Sat Contest for Tom Seaver auto has been posted!

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

An interesting start to the NBA postseason...

The Warriors losing Boogie Cousins is big, but not huge. Great late season pickup in Andrew Bogut. And lest we forget, the Warriors looked pretty good early in the season while waiting for Boogie to be ready.

The Sixers appear to just need to be able to withstand the barrage of 3's that the Nets are going to chuck up every game.

The Raptors bounced back nicely against the Magic

The Bucks look solid so far.

The Celtics should be fine in the opening round.

The Rockets will be moving on.

The Blazers look to be ready to move on over the non-descript Thunder.

Thought the Spurs were going up 2-0 last night before the Nuggets come back.

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Celtics, Bucks and Rockets all cruise to 2-0 leads.

Curious to see what happens in the next Nets/Sixers matchup, after seeing Embiid and Simmons giggling like 6 year olds pretending to apologize/be sorry over the Embiid flagrant 1 in Game 2.

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Interesting night last evening.

The only close game was Spurs/Nuggets, but that series is turning out like most expected it to. Don't see it going past 5 games.

Sure looked like the Warriors missed Boogie last evening - KD finally showed up with a signature performance this year. The Warriors will need a lot more of those this year if they want to 3-peat.

No Embiid, no problem. Sixers went small ball and basically ran the Nets off the court. The only bit of drama was which Sixer farted on the bench and made Embiid pull his shirt up over his nose.....

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Interesting night last evening.

The only close game was Spurs/Nuggets, but that series is turning out like most expected it to. Don't see it going past 5 games.

Sure looked like the Warriors missed Boogie last evening - KD finally showed up with a signature performance this year. The Warriors will need a lot more of those this year if they want to 3-peat.

No Embiid, no problem. Sixers went small ball and basically ran the Nets off the court. The only bit of drama was which Sixer farted on the bench and made Embiid pull his shirt up over his nose.....
    We did not get the Spurs/Nuggets here but I did try to watch the other two games. I was struck how the Nets looked tiny in comparison to the 76ers and it showed in the results. Every 76er seems a head taller than the Net he was playing. And the Clippers offered almost no resistance to the Warriors on defense. So I ended up watching Scarface for the 100th time and found that to be much more compelling than the 2 NBA games......"mang".

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicMetal View Post
    We did not get the Spurs/Nuggets here but I did try to watch the other two games. I was struck how the Nets looked tiny in comparison to the 76ers and it showed in the results. Every 76er seems a head taller than the Net he was playing. And the Clippers offered almost no resistance to the Warriors on defense. So I ended up watching Scarface for the 100th time and found that to be much more compelling than the 2 NBA games......"mang".
    Glad I am not the only who occasionally gets bored watching a particular sporting event and goes to a good movie as an option.

Nuggets/Spurs has turned into a series......Anyone else see the irony of the Nuggets "Mile High City" jerseys on 4/20????

Sixers/Nets has turned into a 1978 hockey game...

Warriors/Clips - will see which way that goes.

Blazers/OKC - now a series.

and raptors/magic, while intriguing, looks to be done.

Rockets/Bucks/Celtics still look to be locks.

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Blazers walk off the Thunder......

Sixers/Nets & Raptors/Magic is done - so we get the Sixers/Raptors.

Bucks/Celtics is on tap.

Warriors/Clippers tonight - will it get to Game 6?

Rockets/Jazz - will they get to game 6?

I am thinking the only one that has a shot at 7 is Spurs/Nuggets.

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Nuggets/Spurs has turned into a series......Anyone else see the irony of the Nuggets "Mile High City" jerseys on 4/20????
    I did notice the Mile High unis and I knew it was 4/20 but did not puut 2 and 2 together with that. Good catch!

If you want to know how great the divide is amonst the higher and lower seeds in the 1st round it was certainly illustrated this past weekend where there were 8 games played (4 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday) and the road teams (the higher seeds) won all 8 games!

The Spurs just don't have any athleticism on their roster. They have some really good players but they are not of the athletic variety. The Spurs lost all those types in the last 2 years (Leonardi, Simmons and then losing Murray in the preseason) made them a very plodding team. It is impressive how they still make the playoffs somehow, someway.

The second round promisis to be much better especially in the East.