Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Chris Davis -- 0 for 53

Just feels like this is another topic that deserves its own thread.

This is truly a level of futility that I can not fathom. By sheer dumb luck a ball should have fallen in by now. $120k per AB.......I think I heard that number.

Should he just retire when he gets his first hit of the year. Literally, do it John Kruk style, round first base, call time and than walk of the field. I know that won't happen, since he wouldn't get his $$$$ if he did that. But that would be fitting.

If he gets 20 hits in his next 47 AB's -- he will still be under the mendoza line for his last 100 AB's.
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

Bench User Page has my most wanted and trade lists for 2011/12 Topps

wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to pearl_fire's ebay items

If I remember correctly, John Kruk did that because he was at exactly a .300 average and did not want it to go below that level and was going to retire soon anyway.

It's tough since I'm a O's fan and I know Chris and his wife are active in the community, but the O's just need to release him and eat the money. It's done and he is never going to recover. Use that position in the line up and the field to be more productive with another player.

Todd
    Last edited by OriolesFan8; 04-12-2019 at 01:40 PM.
    PRIORITY NEEDS - 2002 Studio Proofs /100 - 2002 Studio Private Signatures * 1971 Topps (down to under ten, bigger names needed) *Topps Chrome Sets* *Interested in Trey Mancini / Freddie Freeman* *Retired relief pitcher Todd Jones*

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to tigger0008's ebay items
    Go to David K.'s comc items

He's only about 33 years old. Besides cutting him...anyway for the Orioles try to trade him down the road? Best regards, David
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by OriolesFan8 View Post
    If I remember correctly, John Kruk did that because he was at exactly a .300 average and did not want it to go below that level and was going to retire soon anyway.

It's tough since I'm a O's fan and I know Chris and his wife are active in the community, but the O's just need to release him and eat the money. It's done and he is never going to recover. Use that position in the line up and the field to be more productive with another player.

Todd
    Quote Originally Posted by David K. View Post
    He's only about 33 years old. Besides cutting him...anyway for the Orioles try to trade him down the road? Best regards, David
    I can't see anyone wanting to trade for him, even if the Orioles ate 99% of that contract. Release him, be done with it. It is what the Phillies should have done with Ryan Howard after the horrible deal they gave him.

He didn't start last night, but did pinch hit, surprisingly enough, it produced another out. Why on earth would you send a guy who can't hit in the flow of a game up to bat cold.....That is an AB that should be going to someone that could help the team going forward.

Kirby Puckett havelist:

20 minutes away from Busch Stadium, home of the St. Louis Cardinals
    Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to tglgtglg's ebay items

If you are going to eat the money anyways, I would send him down to Double A. I wouldn't send him to Triple A, as he will take away some ABs there as well, of guys you may very well be bringing up soon. But at the double A level, he should be able to get some hits. Then maybe a bit of confidence, even if he does still understand he is doing it off of AA pitchers. But work on his craft, and see if he can get something back. If he cannot get it back at AA after a few weeks, then you cut him loose. Only thing you lose by trying that is a few weeks of ABs for a minor leaguer. Not sure if he would have to clear waivers, but again, you would win if someone claimed him as you would no longer have to pay him (can't imagine anyone claiming him).

Sometimes guys need to work on things, and sometimes new surroundings help. And sometimes, it is just gone. But it is sad to see him go through this and it has to be tough on teammates too.

Oh, and how about an epic fail on the projections made by Topps and the Bill James metric. He better focus on getting some hits, but I think that HR rate that he would need to attain is rising, lol.

Last edited by tglg; 04-13-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    Link to my trade list thread here on The Bench - http://www.thebenchtrading.com/showt...his?highlight=

My Hobby Collecting Goal - to finish my '98 Bowman's Best Master Set - so help me out if you have any Atomic Refractors or Autos. This set is the only true thing that I am still currently working on.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to collectorskip's ebay items

YIKES! Awesome find and post, Tony!
    I don't know Davis, as I don't follow the O's, but I have to feel some pain for him.
    I agree that if the O's can send him down it may give him a chance to work out his problems. Just don;t know how that all works with options, waivers, etc., tho' it's hard to believe anyone would claim him. Unless there is some batting guru out there (where have you gone Charlie Lau?) who can work with his swing and some head guru to work with his mind.
    Sad to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by tglg View Post
    If you are going to eat the money anyways, I would send him down to Double A. I wouldn't send him to Triple A, as he will take away some ABs there as well, of guys you may very well be bringing up soon. But at the double A level, he should be able to get some hits. Then maybe a bit of confidence, even if he does still understand he is doing it off of AA pitchers. But work on his craft, and see if he can get something back. If he cannot get it back at AA after a few weeks, then you cut him loose. Only thing you lose by trying that is a few weeks of ABs for a minor leaguer. Not sure if he would have to clear waivers, but again, you would win if someone claimed him as you would no longer have to pay him (can't imagine anyone claiming him).

Sometimes guys need to work on things, and sometimes new surroundings help. And sometimes, it is just gone. But it is sad to see him go through this and it has to be tough on teammates too.

Oh, and how about an epic fail on the projections made by Topps and the Bill James metric. He better focus on getting some hits, but I think that HR rate that he would need to attain is rising, lol.

On small trades I use PWE but'll use a bubble mailer if you ask.
    Slow trader. Please be patient: I love trading, but I don't have enuf time for it, so it takes me a while.

Check my site: http://www.freewebs.com/frankpell/ for wants and trade items.
    "CMB"'s will be ignored. Sorry.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to cmcjr99's ebay items

after reading this thread this morning i had a funny feeling......

2-for-3 with 3 rbi so far today....
    Claude's Card Corner
    Want ANY USC Gamecocks such as Renaldo Balkman , Tiffany Mitchell , Alaina Coates , Dunta Robinson , Jonathan Joseph , Fred Bennett , Connor Shaw , Duce Staley , Sidney Rice , Jadeveon Clowney , Alshon Jeffery , Melvin Ingram , Marcus Lattimore , Landon Powell , Whit Merrifield , Jordan Montgomery , Justin Smoak & Steve Pearce (full list on my site)

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by cmcjr99 View Post

But yesterday...pinched hit...and make it 0 for 54.....Nice to see he's coming out of it......Best regards, David
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011.

20 minutes away from Busch Stadium, home of the St. Louis Cardinals
    Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to tglgtglg's ebay items

I wonder if the crowd erupted after he got the first hit.

Link to my trade list thread here on The Bench - http://www.thebenchtrading.com/showt...his?highlight=

My Hobby Collecting Goal - to finish my '98 Bowman's Best Master Set - so help me out if you have any Atomic Refractors or Autos. This set is the only true thing that I am still currently working on.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by David K. View Post
    But yesterday...pinched hit...and make it 0 for 54.....Nice to see he's coming out of it......Best regards, David
    you missed my meaning i guess.....

pretty much everyone was well aware of his streak but there was no mention of it it on the forums here (or fcb , the only other one i read regularly)....a thread was created on friday to discuss it....i was on site around 5 AM saturday and saw the thread for the first time...something in my mind clicked making me think of how ironic it would be if he had a big game (or even a mere hit) today once a thread was finally made here....and it happened as he now has 4 rbi today to go along with his first 2 hits of the season...
    Claude's Card Corner
    Want ANY USC Gamecocks such as Renaldo Balkman , Tiffany Mitchell , Alaina Coates , Dunta Robinson , Jonathan Joseph , Fred Bennett , Connor Shaw , Duce Staley , Sidney Rice , Jadeveon Clowney , Alshon Jeffery , Melvin Ingram , Marcus Lattimore , Landon Powell , Whit Merrifield , Jordan Montgomery , Justin Smoak & Steve Pearce (full list on my site)

11. Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to Jamesl- 60's ebay items
    Go to Top Hat 18's comc items

I went over 40 a couple of years ago in a baseball batting cage I'm 50 years old and I believe the ball was coming about 80 miles an hour I think I hit about three of them out of a hundred good contacts so I'll know good days are bad days because when I played little league and Babe Ruth and all that I can hitkeep four five hundred average and before you ask I can't catch a ball if my life depended on it everybody has those bad days for a few of them
    Last edited by TOP18; 04-13-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

and anoooooother double.....not really a big fan , but it is really nice to see him finally get things going....
    Claude's Card Corner

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

you missed my meaning i guess.....

pretty much everyone was well aware of his streak but there was no mention of it it on the forums here (or fcb , the only other one i read regularly)....a thread was created on friday to discuss it....i was on site around 5 AM saturday and saw the thread for the first time...something in my mind clicked making me think of how ironic it would be if he had a big game (or even a mere hit) today once a thread was finally made here....and it happened as he now has 4 rbi today to go along with his first 2 hits of the season...
    Wasn't looking for a meaning in your posting! Best regards, David

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by tglg View Post
    Just one of the many reasons I don't fully buy into the metrics phenomena - just too much of the unknown involved.

As far as changing things up - Davis had been asked to go to the minors. He was asked to change his stance. He was asked to try a lighter bat. He refused to make any adjustments at all or do anything to change things up.

Glad he finally got a hit..so we can start tracking his next 0-fer. Let's be honest, he got off the schneid against the Red Sox, so that isn't saying a whole lot right now......

Kirby Puckett havelist: