Sales Tax comes to New Jersey/Ebay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

porkchops

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
New Jersey joins several other states in collecting sales tax beginning yesterday May 1 2019 .
Will this affect your purchasing habits ?
Thanks for the advanced warning Ebay !
Ken

MN has been doing that for some time. To combat some of it I informed Pay Pal that the state law says to collect if the business has a physical structure or does $100,000 a year in state sales. Talk about making it tough to collect. For what it matters I buy less from Amazon as more of the stuff they sell are returns. With free shipping why bother going to a store.

To combat some of it I informed Pay Pal that the state law says to collect if the business has a physical structure or does $100,000 a year in state sales.

supreme court did away with that requirement recently and many states have begun setting up their systems to tax online sales....as of 2 weeks ago , ebay had i believe 16 states on their list and noted that more would be added as states got things set up....

fwiw , this was announced months ago by ebay though they had obviously have no set timetable for any particular state....the one good thing about this is that at least ebay does all the collecting and remitting of taxes so sellers dont have to deal with making individual payments in literally every state/city in which they make a sale which could be a real headache (just here where i live for example w have so many different rates : 0% on groceries - food only - here...2% on food in the next town over ...8%....1% local option in some towns , 2% in others , and of some towns here add a 1 or 2% tax on fast food...)

Last edited:
supreme court did away with that requirement recently and many states have begun setting up their systems to tax online sales....as of 2 weeks ago , ebay had i believe 16 states on their list and noted that more would be added as states got things set up....

fwiw , this was announced months ago by ebay though they had obviously have no set timetable for any particular state....the one good thing about this is that at least ebay does all the collecting and remitting of taxes so sellers dont have to deal with making individual payments in literally every state/city in which they make a sale which could be a real headache (just here where i live for example w have so many different rates : 0% on groceries - food only - here...2% on food in the next town over ...8%....1% local option in some towns , 2% in others , and of some towns here add a 1 or 2% tax on fast food...)

Each State has its own rules on how to tax and collect taxes. Just because the Supreme Court changed some requirements does not make the rules the same for everybody. The property rule was always in place. The $100,000 rule is new and was set up for the large online sellers and not the hobby ebay seller. I checked with my state Dept. Of Revenue for my information. That the best way to go.

and that is why not all states are included - yet....rest assured more and more will be joining the list and as they do get set up , taxes will apply...

for more info , as posted on ebay april 25th ....

04-25-2019 11:46:33 AM
Last Edited 04-25-2019 01:17:21 PM

Updated 4/25/18:

There are a number of states where eBay will be collecting sales tax on applicable transactions.

We’re committed to supporting any sellers who have been affected by the June 2018 Supreme Court decision, which changed the rules around how Internet Sales Tax is administered.

What the ruling means for you: Regardless of your physical location, if you sell to buyers in certain states, those states may require you to collect applicable taxes on transactions.

Some states have extended the tax collection obligation to marketplaces. We believe this ruling is unfair to small businesses and will continue to find the best way to support and advocate for our sellers.

For those states that we are collecting tax, you do not need to take any action. There are no extra charges or fees for this service. Prior to these dates, please continue to collect and remit tax in these states and comply with any other applicable requirements they impose.

There are no opt-outs for selling items to the states that we are collecting tax for, or out of eBay automatically collecting sales tax for applicable orders.

Additional states will likely be added. Stay informed on the Help pages.

We have also added a buyer exemption system for tax-exempt buyers (e.g. charitable entities, resellers etc.) that allows you to submit tax exemption certificates to eBay and make purchases without paying tax. Upload your tax exemption certificate here or visit our Help pages for more details.

For additional information on these new tax requirements, we recommend consulting with your tax advisor. If you don’t have one, please contact our partners Avalara and TaxJar for specific insights into the best course of action for you.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

Last edited:
forgot to include this......

Based on applicable tax laws, eBay will calculate, collect, and remit sales tax on behalf of sellers for items shipped to customers in the following states:

State
Effective Date
Additional Information

Minnesota
January 1, 2019
Small business exemption - Minnesota has enacted a small business exemption for out of state unregistered sellers whose taxable retail sales into Minnesota are less than $10,000 in the previous 12-month period. These sellers are not subject to the Minnesota marketplace tax laws, and eBay will not be collecting sales tax on these transactions.

Washington
January 1, 2019

Iowa
February 1, 2019

Connecticut
April 1, 2019

District of Columbia
May 1, 2019

Nebraska
May 1, 2019

New Jersey
May 1, 2019

Alabama
July 1, 2019

Oklahoma
July 1, 2019

Pennsylvania
July 1, 2019

South Dakota
July 1, 2019

South Carolina
October 1, 2019

Prior to the effective date, you should continue to collect and remit tax in these states if required. Additional states will be added to this list at a later date.

Once eBay starts to collect tax in the above states, no action is required on your part, and there will be no charges or fees for eBay automatically calculating, collecting and remitting sales tax. The collection process will apply to all sales, whether the seller is located in or outside of the United States.

When a buyer purchases an item on eBay, and the ship to address is one of the above states, eBay will calculate and add the applicable sales tax at checkout. The buyer will pay both the cost of the item along with the sales tax. eBay will collect and remit the tax.

Sellers are not able to opt out of selling items into the states listed above or opt out of eBay automatically collecting sales tax.

phooey.....sc is set to be on board by this fall too....