Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

eBay tax question

If anyone is active on eBay (like me) you've noticed the recent addition of a tax charge on every transaction.
    My question is do they apply a flat rate to every sale or is it determined by the origin of the sale?
    Question two: Do they tax the S&H also. I just won an auction for $.99 and the tax was $.39. That is one hellacious tax rate if only the auction was taxed!
    Need Ripkens that I don't have (2,900 different Ripkens) , Joe Mauer, Killebrew, Feller, Twins refractors. I'll also consider better RCs
    2005 Zenith

Museum Inserts: 250/250 100%
    Prime Patches: 77/77 100% (all #'d to 150 or less) Overall collection includes: 29 different laundry tags,4 button holes,& 222 different autographs & auto variations.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Ebay charged me 6.67 for a 25 dollar sale
    "Live Each Day As If It Were Your Last...
    Tomorrow is Not Promised

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

It's based on what ever the state sales tax is in your state.
    Brad Ziegler 319/644Wantlist Click Here
    RC's & Autos Of Mike Trout,Aaron Judge,Matt Olson,Matt Chapman,Ronald Acuna,Juan Soto, Jose Altuve,Khris Davis,Mookie Betts,Christian Yelich,Bryce Harper, Ramon Laureano,Vladimir Guerrero Jr.,Fernando Tatis Jr.,Pete Alonso,Anthony Rendon
    Football Shaquem Griffin & Alabama Crimson Tide players
    Boxing/MMA- Micky Ward, Gina Carano

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

I haven't stopped to do the exact figures but to me it seems all over the place. And they must be taxing the S&H also. As I stated, I won a $.99 action and was charged $.39 tax - that doesn't make sense (no pun intended) to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dan5 View Post
    It's based on what ever the state sales tax is in your state.
    Need Ripkens that I don't have (2,900 different Ripkens) , Joe Mauer, Killebrew, Feller, Twins refractors. I'll also consider better RCs
    2005 Zenith

Prime Patches: 77/77 100% (all #'d to 150 or less) Overall collection includes: 29 different laundry tags,4 button holes,& 222 different autographs & auto variations.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to tigger0008's ebay items
    Go to David K.'s comc items

http://www.thebenchtrading.com/showt...79#post3890379 Heres a link to a thread about a month ago on the sales tax. Best regards, David
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Thanks, David. I'm not a math expert by any means but $.39 on a $.99 purchase is basically a 40% tax rate, correct??

Quote Originally Posted by David K. View Post
    http://www.thebenchtrading.com/showt...79#post3890379 Heres a link to a thread about a month ago on the sales tax. Best regards, David
    2005 Zenith

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to cmcjr99's ebay items

Quote Originally Posted by reickholt View Post
    Thanks, David. I'm not a math expert by any means but $.39 on a $.99 purchase is basically a 40% tax rate, correct??

just like ebays final value fees , the sales tax is calculated on the total price including shipping....
    Claude's Card Corner
    Want ANY USC Gamecocks such as Renaldo Balkman , Tiffany Mitchell , Alaina Coates , Dunta Robinson , Jonathan Joseph , Fred Bennett , Connor Shaw , Duce Staley , Sidney Rice , Jadeveon Clowney , Alshon Jeffery , Melvin Ingram , Marcus Lattimore , Landon Powell , Whit Merrifield , Jordan Montgomery , Justin Smoak & Steve Pearce (full list on my site)

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

OK, that explains it. Can't believe they are taxing S&H?!?

Quote Originally Posted by cmcjr99 View Post
    just like ebays final value fees , the sales tax is calculated on the total price including shipping....
    2005 Zenith

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to tigger0008's ebay items
    Go to David K.'s comc items

Quote Originally Posted by cmcjr99 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation! Best regards, David
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to cmcjr99's ebay items

fwiw , just this week ebay updated the list of states already charging sales tax and added quite a few more to those about to begin ....

State
    Effective Date
    Additional Information

Minnesota
    January 1, 2019
    Small business exemption - Minnesota has enacted a small business exemption for out of state unregistered sellers whose taxable retail sales into Minnesota are less than $10,000 in the previous 12-month period. These sellers are not subject to the Minnesota marketplace tax laws, and eBay will not be collecting sales tax on these transactions.

Washington
    January 1, 2019

Iowa
    February 1, 2019

Connecticut
    April 1, 2019

District of Columbia
    May 1, 2019

Nebraska
    May 1, 2019

New Jersey
    May 1, 2019

Idaho
    June 1, 2019

New York
    June 1, 2019

Alabama
    July 1, 2019

Arkansas
    July 1, 2019

Indiana
    July 1, 2019

Kentucky
    July 1, 2019

New Mexico
    July 1, 2019

Oklahoma
    July 1, 2019

Pennsylvania
    July 1, 2019

Rhode Island
    July 1, 2019

South Dakota
    July 1, 2019

Virginia
    July 1, 2019

West Virginia
    July 1, 2019

Wyoming
    July 1, 2019

Vermont
    July 1, 2019

California
    October 1, 2019

North Dakota
    October 1, 2019

South Carolina
    October 1, 2019

Texas
    October 1, 2019

Utah
    October 1, 2019
    Claude's Card Corner
    Want ANY USC Gamecocks such as Renaldo Balkman , Tiffany Mitchell , Alaina Coates , Dunta Robinson , Jonathan Joseph , Fred Bennett , Connor Shaw , Duce Staley , Sidney Rice , Jadeveon Clowney , Alshon Jeffery , Melvin Ingram , Marcus Lattimore , Landon Powell , Whit Merrifield , Jordan Montgomery , Justin Smoak & Steve Pearce (full list on my site)

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to mdword's ebay items

I do not do a lot on eBay but I guess I will no longer use them. With the Ebay fees and taxes and then if you use PayPal you have their fees too. If I was a business things would be a little different. But as a hobby you might as well give the card away.
    LINK TO TRADE PAGES
    https://sites.google.com/site/richstradepages/home

Players I collect:
    C.Jones, J.Smoltz, C.Ripken Jr., N.Ryan, G.Maddux, T.Glavine, H.Aaron, Ronald Acuna, Ozzie Albies

Also Any Tribute Base (2012 Tribute is complete)

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by jaxbraves View Post
    I do not do a lot on eBay but I guess I will no longer use them. With the Ebay fees and taxes and then if you use PayPal you have their fees too. If I was a business things would be a little different. But as a hobby you might as well give the card away.
    Its not ebays fault on this one. Since Amazon was taking so much tax money from them, they had to find a way to get some of it back. Nobody likes to pay taxes but we all like schools, roads,parks ect. All ebay does is collect the funds and pass it back to the states. I wonder if ebay is being paid to do this or do they eat the expense.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to mdword's ebay items

Quote Originally Posted by budd2222 View Post
    Its not ebays fault on this one. Since Amazon was taking so much tax money from them, they had to find a way to get some of it back. Nobody likes to pay taxes but we all like schools, roads,parks ect. All ebay does is collect the funds and pass it back to the states. I wonder if ebay is being paid to do this or do they eat the expense.
    Yeh I know it's not E-Bay fault but the tax should only be on the item not shipping. It's just going to cost everyone more in the end.
    LINK TO TRADE PAGES
    https://sites.google.com/site/richstradepages/home

Players I collect:
    C.Jones, J.Smoltz, C.Ripken Jr., N.Ryan, G.Maddux, T.Glavine, H.Aaron, Ronald Acuna, Ozzie Albies

Also Any Tribute Base (2012 Tribute is complete)

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by jaxbraves View Post
    Yeh I know it's not E-Bay fault but the tax should only be on the item not shipping. It's just going to cost everyone more in the end.
    Then you need to talk to your state. If they charge on the shipping all you can do is complain to your state tax office.