Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: YSL Project

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to weapon-x_23's ebay items

Quote Originally Posted by LEONOFNJ View Post
    Is Matt still living in Oswego, Il.?
    That is where he is...that said, he was saying he could ship it all in a large flat rate or two with 800 counts inside.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to anglinomics's ebay items

What ever happened with the Foundation? Did anyone talk to them?

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by anglinomics View Post
    What ever happened with the Foundation? Did anyone talk to them?
    Perfect timing on seeing this -- I just got off the phone with The Jimmy V Foundation. Talked with a very nice lady for about 25 minutes - but didn't get much confidence that they would be able to help us.

When we first started this quest - did we get in touch with the V Foundation to let them know we were doing it? If so, was there a particular person that we were in contact with. The lady I talked to said that all "outside fundraisers" for V Foundation must start with the completion of an item called a "DIY Fundraiser" form. Did we do that?

If not, that is truly our next step in the process. If we did, let me know and please get me a copy of it, or a name of who it was submitted to.

I explained our situation to her - and she said that the V Foundation wouldn't tweet or send out information for any fundraiser that wasn't originated within the V Foundation itself.

With all that said - I don't believer the lady I spoke with was the final gatekeeper of fundraising information, so I sending them a couple of messages through different channels to see if I can fins someone a bit more sympathetic to the cause of getting them a check....

If anyone has a Twitter account - maybe DM the V Foundation twitter feed? Or throw a tweet on their timeline (is that possible)?
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

Bench User Page has my most wanted and trade lists for 2011/12 Topps

wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

I have followed up with an email message to the folks at The V Foundation - at this point, the ball is in their court in terms of responding to us.

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by katester44 View Post
    Perfect timing on seeing this -- I just got off the phone with The Jimmy V Foundation. Talked with a very nice lady for about 25 minutes - but didn't get much confidence that they would be able to help us.

When we first started this quest - did we get in touch with the V Foundation to let them know we were doing it? If so, was there a particular person that we were in contact with. The lady I talked to said that all "outside fundraisers" for V Foundation must start with the completion of an item called a "DIY Fundraiser" form. Did we do that?

If not, that is truly our next step in the process. If we did, let me know and please get me a copy of it, or a name of who it was submitted to.

I explained our situation to her - and she said that the V Foundation wouldn't tweet or send out information for any fundraiser that wasn't originated within the V Foundation itself.

With all that said - I don't believer the lady I spoke with was the final gatekeeper of fundraising information, so I sending them a couple of messages through different channels to see if I can fins someone a bit more sympathetic to the cause of getting them a check....

If anyone has a Twitter account - maybe DM the V Foundation twitter feed? Or throw a tweet on their timeline (is that possible)?
    Maybe we should move forward by getting this auction to be a Jimmy V initiated auction. We could just turn over the cards to them + or - the final cards. But I would think they would also like a complete set. I'm just throwing out an idea. I'm not wanting to step on anyone's toes.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Maybe we should move forward by getting this auction to be a Jimmy V initiated auction. We could just turn over the cards to them + or - the final cards. But I would think they would also like a complete set. I'm just throwing out an idea. I'm not wanting to step on anyone's toes.
    I think even if we complete their paperwork, we are still responsible for the actual fund raising. I don't see a scenario where they would take on the responsibility of listing it on Ebay and than shipping it. Ultimate goal will be to get this sold and maybe be able to get a nice photo opportunity with members of The Bench handing the check over to them....

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

What's the status on moving the cards to Andy? My offer to drive is still open. Or I will compensate for the shipping costs.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

What's the status on moving the cards to Andy? My offer to drive is still open. Or I will compensate for the shipping costs.
    I think for right now, keeping it with Meliah is the best plan. If it gets to a point it needs to change locations prior to us finding the last two cards, we can address it than.

I am still hopeful of a positive response from the folks @ The Jimmy V Foundation - from my perspective, if they send one tweet and it finds the final two cards and we can sell this thing for $5k/$10k -- that might be some of the easiest money they have made!

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

I'd like to post on another site. I think someone said we should do another pass to see if we only need the 2 cards. I was also hoping for some information on duplicates that we have to offer. If not a list, maybe an estimate of how many dups we have in total. For example, am I authorized to promise 500 duplicates for one card we need. Some people want cards. And if I can offer duplicates, can I say we would try to match their want list?
    Last edited by anglinomics; 10-11-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

If it helps any, I got the 3rd from the last 4 And I offered the guy I believe it was 10 of numbers that he needed. I believe Matt has a lot of the doubles , my guess is around 1000 but to promise 500 of the numbers that the person needs could be very hard to do. If I had another chance to do it I would offer 25 of the numbers they need. Between Matt and members on the Bench, I think we could do it. Matt didn't help on that one , eBay and members helped me.
    My thought

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to dpcampsportscards's ebay items
    Go to campd0913's comc items

Has anybody entertained the idea of maybe contacting the Yankees to see if they would be interested in purchasing the set and telling them the proceeds are being donated to charities just a thought
    MY SITE
    COLLECTING PARALLELS OF CLAYTON KERSHAW | ANTHONY RIZZO| ANDREW MCCUTCHEN | PAUL GOLDSCHMIDT | BUSTER POSEY
    [BCOLLECTING RC'S OF JEFF MCNEIL | PETE ALONSO | KYLE TUCKER | DANIEL JONES [/B]

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by LEONOFNJ View Post
    If it helps any, I got the 3rd from the last 4 And I offered the guy I believe it was 10 of numbers that he needed. I believe Matt has a lot of the doubles , my guess is around 1000 but to promise 500 of the numbers that the person needs could be very hard to do. If I had another chance to do it I would offer 25 of the numbers they need. Between Matt and members on the Bench, I think we could do it. Matt didn't help on that one , eBay and members helped me.
    My thought
    I wasn't thinking of offering 500 that they need. But it would be nice to know if we could offer all the hits that we have from there list. Can Matt look at lists?

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

I am going to offer a couple suggestions and then I will disappear from the discussion once and for all.

I have stated many times before that I really liked the concept behind this project, but as a collector who no longer buys new product and has not for close to 20 years now, my exposure to the set was nil. I encountered a few YSL cards along the way and always checked to see if we needed them, but they were never any we needed. I don't own any myself now and never had either. I have not contributed a single card to the effort and although I would have liked to have helped out more, it just didn't align with my collecting style. The part I did help with early on was searching for new card sources and trying to spread the word to those not on this site about the effort. As time dragged on and on, that effort died off. I have also drifted away from this site in general, mainly due to the ever decreasing level of new and interesting content. Sorry, I had tried numerous times to engage people in discussions, host contests, promote interactions, etc. when I was more active but the site is only as good as those who contribute and I know there is a small core that still tries, but it takes much more than that to keep the site fresh for new (and existing) members to see and want to become a part of. To be blunt, there is not what I consider to be any card related message boards active now that hold my interest any longer beyond a few threads here and there. The two I am most active on now seem to gloss over new subjects quickly and without much fanfare. A thread reaching page 2 is monumental these days! The most active and popular ones though seem focus on areas that are not in my collecting interest. More power to you if that is your speed, but I am just tired of seeing threads on the newest "hotlist" prospect/players day after day. In 5 years, there will be almost as many threads remembering how foolish it was to buy "so and so" and not get out sooner because he was so hot at the time but ultimately failed to be the next Babe Ruth.

It is nice however to see that people are once again passionate about the YSL project and a desire to see it finally finished, but it still lacks leadership. So here are my suggestions, take it for what they are worth:

1). Someone, preferably a long standing active member or a active site staff member needs to take complete control of the program. Maybe a few people volunteer, if that many are interested, and hold a vote. That leader then takes possession and holds the set & dupes, makes the decisions on trading, where to sell, how to sell, etc. if nobody feels comfortable enough to make the call for everyone, put each major decision to a quick vote, but someone needs to drive this to the end.

The leader needs to be someone who is ACTIVE and participates on the site daily, so that anyone else wanting to help and needs some guidance has someone to go to who will get back to them immediately. It would appear that Matt has neither the time, nor the interest to be involved in this project any longer, is essentially absent from the site now and having the cards in his hands makes no sense whatsoever.

2) Update the YSL tab on the site and merge or delete all but one YSL thread. The tab still shows an outdated wantlist and directs people to Matt at what I presume may even be a bad address? There is also at least 1 other thread that has not had activiy in a long time. There should be 1 spot to go for this project until it is done.

3). This part is a bit hazy, but there were prizes that were to be given out to prolific donors. If it was done, I never saw or heard any fanfare about it. There are 2 members who donated enormous amounts of time and physical cards and probably several more below them who worked very hard. REWARD THOSE PEOPLE FOR THEIR EFFORTS! If that has not been done yet, and I suspect it has not, those prizes need to be located and given out ASAP.

I hope this thing gets back on track and is resolved soon. After this revival, it would be a shame and probably the final death of the project if it starts to linger on again for any amount of time without resolve. If those two cards can't be found, and after 10+ years we obviously have not found them, then maybe it is time to accept the fact that they may not surface in 10+ more years or ever and just move on. Sell the set as is and let the new owner worry about those two missing cards. I have a hard time believing being 2 short will affect the final bid, especially for a charitiable effort, by a significant amout that would ever be equal to the lost time spent trying to finish it! I hate to say it, but I bet even a near complete set would have gotten more money back when UD was still paying a bounty/prize for the first 5 completed sets than we would get now, even if complete. If I recall, the prize was a meet and greet with the Yankees, Jeter or something like that and people were much more motivated then to finish those 1st 5 sets. We already missed the best opportunity we had, so let's just make the best of it now.
    Last edited by mrmopar; 10-12-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    WANTS
    (1) Steve Garvey items (2)Topps All-Rookie Team Autos

BLOG
    http://1978theyearitallbegan.blogspot.com/

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to weapon-x_23's ebay items

By offer to drive, are you saying you will take on the cards and be the set curator? I was just trying to push the set to completion when I started this thread, but I soon will not have time to think with a second child coming. I will gladly help promote and hunt as I can, but me getting the cards could stall us again for at least the time being. I’m going to keep putting my all into it, but my all may not be much for a bit.

That said, anyone who wants to take it on, I’ll help pay for the shipping too.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by AndyDrummond View Post
    By offer to drive, are you saying you will take on the cards and be the set curator? I was just trying to push the set to completion when I started this thread, but I soon will not have time to think with a second child coming. I will gladly help promote and hunt as I can, but me getting the cards could stall us again for at least the time being. I’m going to keep putting my all into it, but my all may not be much for a bit.

That said, anyone who wants to take it on, I’ll help pay for the shipping too.
    When I said I would drive, that was to fit one of the legs that Andy had proposed to get the cards to him. As it appears that no one wants to take this on, I would be willing to get the cards from Meliah and be the keeper. Then, I could do a recount as far as what we need and I could also get a duplicate list on line, so any of our members or proposed traders could look at. I think I could get that done within 30 days. I would get things that far, at which time more decisions need to be made.

Could I get Meliah's contact information? If anyone else want this, they should claim it now. If I am confirmed to do this portion, could one of Matt's friends contact him before I do to pave the way?

Actually I am happy to have Matt keep the cards, But a duplicate list is the most basic thing when collecting a set. I would like to get one, and that is the only reason, I am offering my services. I also think an official flier should be made to include with any contacts with other organizations.
    Last edited by anglinomics; 10-13-2019 at 01:18 PM.