Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. budd2222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Minn.
    Posts
    2,857
    Bench Bucks
    682
    Bench Points
    428
    Trader Rating
    5.0





    #1

    Is Cutting Sports In Colleges Just The Start?

    Our local Division 2 school just cut football and men's and women's golf. The savings will be 1.6 million a year. From what I hear another small school is doing the same thing. At the HS level, golf and hockey are being looked at just for the cost. I don't know of any local area schools that have a swim team anymore. I can see the day when HS teams have a 50 mile radius for games and Smaller NCAA schools stops traveling cross country to play a big name school. I also predict less schools will go up to division 1 and some will drop back to division 2.

  2. David K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fresno, California
    Posts
    67,448
    Bench Bucks
    33,111
    Blog Entries
    5
    Bench Points
    10267
    Trader Rating
    5.0


    Go to tigger0008's ebay items
    Go to DavidK's comc items

    #2
    Not sure....Fresno State Bulldogs cut Men's two mens sports.....and picked up two woman's sport because of prop 9.....now they picked up men's wrestling again.
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Christmas Contest has been posted!(Dec 8/ Ends on frid night 14) will be open to everyone (including previous winners) ...but must have 15 bench points..Must be a member in good standing! Its 1-100 for this special contest!

  3. Gnep31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fostoria, OH
    Posts
    882
    Bench Bucks
    1,089
    Bench Points
    253
    Trader Rating
    5.0


    Go to Gnep31's ebay items


    #3
    That is awful! I've always argued just as many things, if not more, are learned on the field than in the classroom. In many cases those skills learned competing are more important as you move into professional life.

    As a former DII player myself I can honestly say very few lessons from course work has carried over into my career(s). The leadership skills, dedication, teamwork and work ethic, I use on a daily basis.

    I've had countless bosses over my career who don't have a clue how to lead people. They read books to try and learn those skills which are developed through life lessons competing against others. In every singe case they were not athletes in HS or college. That doesn't mean I've always had great leaders who did play, but by a wide margin athletes or individuals who compete are much better leaders of people.

    With that being said....good luck trying to convince college academia this is the case.
    Looking for Bo Jackson , Ryan Blaney, Kyle Larson , and Topps Vintage

    My site: www.freewebs.com/gnep31/ Type the link into your browser instead of clicking on it.

  4. budd2222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Minn.
    Posts
    2,857
    Bench Bucks
    682
    Bench Points
    428
    Trader Rating
    5.0





    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnep31 View Post
    That is awful! I've always argued just as many things, if not more, are learned on the field than in the classroom. In many cases those skills learned competing are more important as you move into professional life.

    As a former DII player myself I can honestly say very few lessons from course work has carried over into my career(s). The leadership skills, dedication, teamwork and work ethic, I use on a daily basis.

    I've had countless bosses over my career who don't have a clue how to lead people. They read books to try and learn those skills which are developed through life lessons competing against others. In every singe case they were not athletes in HS or college. That doesn't mean I've always had great leaders who did play, but by a wide margin athletes or individuals who compete are much better leaders of people.

    With that being said....good luck trying to convince college academia this is the case.
    I am going to side with academia on this. First of all what is best for all the student body not just athletes. Money is harder to come by, buy new uniform or text books. For the price of a football team you can fund cross country, track,volleyball and basketball with money left over. In this day and age how do you pick the winners and losers? What is more important education playground games. Just to be mean in my working life I was in charge of hiring and promotions and my first choice was always ex military.

  5. budd2222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Minn.
    Posts
    2,857
    Bench Bucks
    682
    Bench Points
    428
    Trader Rating
    5.0





    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by David K. View Post
    Not sure....Fresno State Bulldogs cut Men's two mens sports.....and picked up two woman's sport because of prop 9.....now they picked up men's wrestling again.
    Do you know what sports they cut? Were they high dollar programs or ones that not many people even know they are still being played?

  6. Gnep31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fostoria, OH
    Posts
    882
    Bench Bucks
    1,089
    Bench Points
    253
    Trader Rating
    5.0


    Go to Gnep31's ebay items


    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by budd2222 View Post
    I am going to side with academia on this. First of all what is best for all the student body not just athletes. Money is harder to come by, buy new uniform or text books. For the price of a football team you can fund cross country, track,volleyball and basketball with money left over. In this day and age how do you pick the winners and losers? What is more important education playground games. Just to be mean in my working life I was in charge of hiring and promotions and my first choice was always ex military.
    I was HR for 15 yrs as well and I do agree with you on military and leadership. Former athletes and ex military were one of the first things I looked for on a resume.

    Funding athletic teams on the HS or small college level is not easy. In my experience the athletic fund was separate from academia. The XC team, swim team etc. do not have gate receipts or very little. In many schools the only two programs which make money (and pay for all others) is football and basketball. So without the football/basketball teams there would be no other sports programs in most small schools.

    You ask what is more important sports or education. For some it would be sports and others education in my opinion and experience. When hiring, if all else was equal in terms of experience, I would hire someone who competed over someone who didn't.
    Looking for Bo Jackson , Ryan Blaney, Kyle Larson , and Topps Vintage

    My site: www.freewebs.com/gnep31/ Type the link into your browser instead of clicking on it.

  7. katester44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,347
    Bench Bucks
    8,640
    Blog Entries
    12
    Bench Points
    1231
    Trader Rating
    5.0





    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by budd2222 View Post
    Our local Division 2 school just cut football and men's and women's golf. The savings will be 1.6 million a year. From what I hear another small school is doing the same thing. At the HS level, golf and hockey are being looked at just for the cost. I don't know of any local area schools that have a swim team anymore. I can see the day when HS teams have a 50 mile radius for games and Smaller NCAA schools stops traveling cross country to play a big name school. I also predict less schools will go up to division 1 and some will drop back to division 2.
    Lots of different ways to look at this one - I know my alma mater (Division III) has added three sports in the last two years - mens/womens golf and mens lacrosse. So I am going to guess it has to do more with how a school is doing financially and what type of push the student body is giving to certain things.

    As mentioned above - at just about every school - football and basketball revenues drive budgets for every other sport, especially at Division I schools. DI also get a slice of TV revenue and share in any post season earnings that conference schools get. On the flip side, why do you think Wofford or Citadel or Furman go play Alabama and Clemson every year - because they get a 7 figure check handed to them and that helps the bottom line for everything that institution is trying to do.

    I am much more concerned about sports (and music and art) at the high school level. I am also concerned about the AAU culture for basketball and the travel team culture for baseball. Kids are getting burned out and injured focusing on one sport year round. The costs associated with it is also forcing otherwise talented kids to not be playing against the best, but against the more affordable rec league talent.
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

    Bench User Page has my most wanted and trade lists for 2011/12 Topps

    wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

    Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •