Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59
  1. mm1sub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Barre, MA
    Posts
    11,658
    Bench Bucks
    5,933
    Bench Points
    2549
    Trader Rating
    5.0





    #31
    I watched the Cavs and Sixers last night. Cleveland just could not handle Embiid. But for Philly to get a 1 point home victory over Cleveland is not what they are looking for. They are the most undisciplined team I have watched all year. From watching them last night, I think there is no way they can even begin to think about winning a title. The teams out West will obliterate them. The Cavs play very smart basketball and Beilein looks like a great hire. But Cleveland just does not have the talent to match up with these other teams. Thompson, Love and Sexton are playing great and Garland looks like he is going to be a solid player. But as everyone knows, you need a superstar player or two to compete in the League.
    1975 Topps Minis: 362/660 55% complete
    1972 Topps: 762/787 97% complete
    1971 Topps: 678/752 90% complete
    1960 Topps: 500/572 87% complete

  2. katester44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,347
    Bench Bucks
    8,640
    Blog Entries
    12
    Bench Points
    1231
    Trader Rating
    5.0





    #32
    Quote Originally Posted by mm1sub View Post
    I watched the Cavs and Sixers last night. Cleveland just could not handle Embiid. But for Philly to get a 1 point home victory over Cleveland is not what they are looking for. They are the most undisciplined team I have watched all year. From watching them last night, I think there is no way they can even begin to think about winning a title. The teams out West will obliterate them. The Cavs play very smart basketball and Beilein looks like a great hire. But Cleveland just does not have the talent to match up with these other teams. Thompson, Love and Sexton are playing great and Garland looks like he is going to be a solid player. But as everyone knows, you need a superstar player or two to compete in the League.
    Your assessment is 100% spot on - the Sixers refuse to value the basketball. They are leading the league at a clip of 18.8 TO's a game. They won't be able to out-talent the better teams - it is the reason they lost to the Suns/Nuggets on their latest road trip and why they needed a miracle 3 ball to beat the Blazers.

    Teams that can handle Embiid and keep Simmons more than 7 feet away from the basket will take them to school.....
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

    Bench User Page has my most wanted and trade lists for 2011/12 Topps

    wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

    Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

  3. anglinomics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Augusta, IL
    Posts
    10,742
    Bench Bucks
    2,513
    Bench Points
    734
    Trader Rating
    5.0


    Go to anglinomics's ebay items


    #33
    I love this stat from ESPN

    Keep in mind, Harden is doing this while shooting just over 40% from the field and just under 30% from beyond the arc. Harden has seven 35-point games this season. That is the third-most through a player's first 10 games of a season in NBA history. The only player with more is Wilt Chamberlain in 1962-63 (10) and 1961-62 (9).

    I have confessed to being a Wilt the Stilt fan a few times in the past. But stats these days are over blown. They track everything in todays game. For example, potential rebounds (when a player is within 3.5 feet of a rebound). The sports writers are going nuts with stats. Stats stats stats. Give me some more stats.

    When ever a player has a good game, they create a stat for it. For example. Player A had more rebounds in his first 13 days, for the Lakers, when leap year falls on a Tuesday. I love stats, but let's keep to those that have some meaning.

  4. katester44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,347
    Bench Bucks
    8,640
    Blog Entries
    12
    Bench Points
    1231
    Trader Rating
    5.0





    #34
    Quote Originally Posted by anglinomics View Post
    I love this stat from ESPN

    Keep in mind, Harden is doing this while shooting just over 40% from the field and just under 30% from beyond the arc. Harden has seven 35-point games this season. That is the third-most through a player's first 10 games of a season in NBA history. The only player with more is Wilt Chamberlain in 1962-63 (10) and 1961-62 (9).

    I have confessed to being a Wilt the Stilt fan a few times in the past. But stats these days are over blown. They track everything in todays game. For example, potential rebounds (when a player is within 3.5 feet of a rebound). The sports writers are going nuts with stats. Stats stats stats. Give me some more stats.

    When ever a player has a good game, they create a stat for it. For example. Player A had more rebounds in his first 13 days, for the Lakers, when leap year falls on a Tuesday. I love stats, but let's keep to those that have some meaning.
    Couldn't agree more -- Mr. Baseball -- nobody had more pinch hit doubles after the 7th inning than I did last season..

    Harden (and SO many others) are nothing more than volume shooters - IE, if you shoot enough times, you will score plenty of points. He also makes a living at the foul line, getting 10-12 there every night.

    Just look what sabr-metrics and stat-heads are doing in baseball.
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

    Bench User Page has my most wanted and trade lists for 2011/12 Topps

    wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

    Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

  5. anglinomics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Augusta, IL
    Posts
    10,742
    Bench Bucks
    2,513
    Bench Points
    734
    Trader Rating
    5.0


    Go to anglinomics's ebay items


    #35
    Todays most meaningless stats.

    Harden notched his fifth 40-point outing in just 11 games this season, which is the fastest any player has reached five 40-point games in a season since Wilt Chamberlain in 1964-65. Harden is now averaging 38.2 points per game this season. The only player in NBA history to average more through his first 11 games of a season is Wilt. Wednesday was Harden's 70th career 40-point, five-assist game. Per the Elias Sports Bureau, he's the third player in NBA history to reach that mark, joining Michael Jordan (96 games) and Oscar Robertson (75). Harden has now scored 36 points over his last two fourth quarters (19 Monday at Pelicans); the most over a two-game span in the fourth quarter in his career.

    FYI Wilt Chamberlain carrer FG% 54% FT% .511 He still holds the record for most free throws made in a game at 28, during his 100 point game he was 28/28.

  6. David K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fresno, California
    Posts
    67,447
    Bench Bucks
    33,110
    Blog Entries
    5
    Bench Points
    10267
    Trader Rating
    5.0


    Go to tigger0008's ebay items
    Go to DavidK's comc items

    #36
    Most centers are terrible at the free throw.....but wilt was 28 of 28!
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Christmas Contest has been posted!(Dec 8/ Ends on frid night 14) will be open to everyone (including previous winners) ...but must have 15 bench points..Must be a member in good standing! Its 1-100 for this special contest!

  7. anglinomics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Augusta, IL
    Posts
    10,742
    Bench Bucks
    2,513
    Bench Points
    734
    Trader Rating
    5.0


    Go to anglinomics's ebay items


    #37
    Quote Originally Posted by David K. View Post
    Most centers are terrible at the free throw.....but wilt was 28 of 28!
    I thought I had read in the past that he was 28 of 28. But I looked into this further and the source says 28 of 32. There is also one other player that made 28 in a game. Adrian Dantleu made 28 and also 27 in the same season.
    Last edited by anglinomics; 11-15-2019 at 08:52 AM.

  8. katester44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,347
    Bench Bucks
    8,640
    Blog Entries
    12
    Bench Points
    1231
    Trader Rating
    5.0





    #38
    Quote Originally Posted by anglinomics View Post
    Todays most meaningless stats.

    Harden notched his fifth 40-point outing in just 11 games this season, which is the fastest any player has reached five 40-point games in a season since Wilt Chamberlain in 1964-65. Harden is now averaging 38.2 points per game this season. The only player in NBA history to average more through his first 11 games of a season is Wilt. Wednesday was Harden's 70th career 40-point, five-assist game. Per the Elias Sports Bureau, he's the third player in NBA history to reach that mark, joining Michael Jordan (96 games) and Oscar Robertson (75). Harden has now scored 36 points over his last two fourth quarters (19 Monday at Pelicans); the most over a two-game span in the fourth quarter in his career.

    FYI Wilt Chamberlain carrer FG% 54% FT% .511 He still holds the record for most free throws made in a game at 28, during his 100 point game he was 28/28.
    If only Wilt could have won more championships......He is still a top 10 guy all time, but had he won 6 or 7 rings, would be comparable to Russell at that point....

    I am still in awe that he didn't win a national championship while at Kansas - closest was the epic 3OT game against North Carolina led by Lennie Rosenbluth.

    Big news out of the NBA is the Trail Blazers signing Carmelo Anthony -- just what they need a non mobile, iso guy who doesn't play defense - and they let their young athletic guys just sit on the bench. Perfect way to develop players.

    Two weeks in - rookie of the year is going to be either Ja Morant or Coby White.
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

    Bench User Page has my most wanted and trade lists for 2011/12 Topps

    wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

    Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

  9. anglinomics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Augusta, IL
    Posts
    10,742
    Bench Bucks
    2,513
    Bench Points
    734
    Trader Rating
    5.0


    Go to anglinomics's ebay items


    #39
    I read an article about the 10 unbreakable NBA records. Russell won 11 championships. Wilt played many of those years so the ring can only go to one guy. But anyway, the 9 rings will never be broken because there are many more teams in the league. Here is the league size during Russell's tenure which was prior to the NBA ABA expansion.

    1955–1961 8
    1961–1966 9
    1966–1967 10
    1967–1968 12
    1968–1970 14

    It is still the best record to have, but 50 ppg in a season inspires more awe. But as far as Wilt goes, there weren't very many 7 ft players and the talent pool probably was lacking.
    Last edited by anglinomics; 11-15-2019 at 07:21 PM.

  10. anglinomics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Augusta, IL
    Posts
    10,742
    Bench Bucks
    2,513
    Bench Points
    734
    Trader Rating
    5.0


    Go to anglinomics's ebay items


    #40
    I errored to say that Russel had 9 rings. He had 11. It struck me to see who had the most appearances in the finals.

    Players who Have Played in the Most NBA Finals

    Player Finals Played Finals Won
    .
    Bill Russell 12 11
    Sam Jones 11 10
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 10 6
    Tom Heinsohn 9 8
    Magic Johnson 9 5
    LeBron James 9 3
    Jerry West 9 1
    John Havlicek 8 8
    K.C. Jones 8 8
    Tom Sanders 8 8
    Frank Ramsey 8 7
    Michael Cooper 8 5
    Derek Fisher 8 5
    Robert Horry 7 7
    Bob Cousy 7 6
    Kobe Bryant 7 5
    Elgin Baylor 7 0

    There are numerous with 6 appearances.

    Michael Jordan 6 6
    Shaquille O'Neal 6 4
    Wilt 6 2

    There's a lot of Celtics and Lakers. I would love to see that rivalry again.
    Last edited by anglinomics; 11-15-2019 at 07:37 PM.

  11. David K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fresno, California
    Posts
    67,447
    Bench Bucks
    33,110
    Blog Entries
    5
    Bench Points
    10267
    Trader Rating
    5.0


    Go to tigger0008's ebay items
    Go to DavidK's comc items

    #41
    Quote Originally Posted by anglinomics View Post
    I thought I had read in the past that he was 28 of 28. But I looked into this further and the source says 28 of 32. There is also one other player that made 28 in a game. Adrian Dantleu made 28 and also 27 in the same season.
    Still good numbers!
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Christmas Contest has been posted!(Dec 8/ Ends on frid night 14) will be open to everyone (including previous winners) ...but must have 15 bench points..Must be a member in good standing! Its 1-100 for this special contest!

  12. katester44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,347
    Bench Bucks
    8,640
    Blog Entries
    12
    Bench Points
    1231
    Trader Rating
    5.0





    #42
    Quote Originally Posted by anglinomics View Post
    I errored to say that Russel had 9 rings. He had 11. It struck me to see who had the most appearances in the finals.

    Players who Have Played in the Most NBA Finals

    Player Finals Played Finals Won
    .
    Bill Russell 12 11
    Sam Jones 11 10
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 10 6
    Tom Heinsohn 9 8
    Magic Johnson 9 5
    LeBron James 9 3
    Jerry West 9 1
    John Havlicek 8 8
    K.C. Jones 8 8
    Tom Sanders 8 8
    Frank Ramsey 8 7
    Michael Cooper 8 5
    Derek Fisher 8 5
    Robert Horry 7 7
    Bob Cousy 7 6
    Kobe Bryant 7 5
    Elgin Baylor 7 0

    There are numerous with 6 appearances.

    Michael Jordan 6 6
    Shaquille O'Neal 6 4
    Wilt 6 2

    There's a lot of Celtics and Lakers. I would love to see that rivalry again.

    That last line sums it up pretty well -- lots and lots of Celtics and lakers - especially more vintage names. The two that jump out at me are Jerry West with 7 appearances and only 1 ring...and Elgin Baylor with 7 appearances and 0 rings. Compared to Robert Horry with 7 appearances and 7 rings - that is good work if you can get it!!

    Do you want 7 rings as a role player -- or do you want 0 rings and be a hall of famer??
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

    Bench User Page has my most wanted and trade lists for 2011/12 Topps

    wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

    Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

  13. katester44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,347
    Bench Bucks
    8,640
    Blog Entries
    12
    Bench Points
    1231
    Trader Rating
    5.0





    #43
    Speaking of 0 rings - Carmelo Anthony was back on the court last night for the Trail Blazers after being out of the league for over a year. And based on the commentary that I have heard, you would have thought that he had a bit of rust, but played through that and was exemplary. Scored 10 points and had 4 rebounds as the Blazers lost to the Pelicans.

    Let's do the deeper dive...10 points came on 4/14 shooting. No offensive rebounds. No assists. 5 personal fouls. 5 turnovers. A team worst -20 +/- rating - twice as high as any other starter, and achieved in 10 less minutes of playing time than any other starter. Meanwhile, Nassir Little played one less minute, took 8 less shots, but still managed to score 2 more points. Had 11 rebounds, including 4 offensive. Had an assist, a steal, 2 blocks and only had 1 turnover. And had the highest +/- rating on the team.

    Someone explain why they felt the need to bring Carmelo in???
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

    Bench User Page has my most wanted and trade lists for 2011/12 Topps

    wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

    Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

  14. David K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fresno, California
    Posts
    67,447
    Bench Bucks
    33,110
    Blog Entries
    5
    Bench Points
    10267
    Trader Rating
    5.0


    Go to tigger0008's ebay items
    Go to DavidK's comc items

    #44
    Probably to keep him in a good mood....He will probably slowly get more playing later.....
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Christmas Contest has been posted!(Dec 8/ Ends on frid night 14) will be open to everyone (including previous winners) ...but must have 15 bench points..Must be a member in good standing! Its 1-100 for this special contest!

  15. katester44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,347
    Bench Bucks
    8,640
    Blog Entries
    12
    Bench Points
    1231
    Trader Rating
    5.0





    #45
    Quote Originally Posted by David K. View Post
    Probably to keep him in a good mood....He will probably slowly get more playing later.....
    It took the Rockets about a month to realize his defensive liabilities were too great to keep him on the floor for any stretch of time.

    Love all the love being given to the Lakers and LeBron and AD, especially with their best in the league record. Can't wait to see them actually play anyone of note - they are 1-2 against teams with winning records and 11-0 against teams with a losing record. Will also see how long LBJ keeps up his minutes played pace - especially with all the load management talk going around.

    Ben Simmons hit a 3 last night in a victory over the Knicks - he currently leads the NBA in 3 point FG pct at 1.000! If the Sixers plan on winning the East, and eventually the Finals, he needs that shot in his arsenal.

    What are the chances that the Warriors get 9 wins or less this year and tie/break the all time record for losses set by Sixers back in the 70's. That would look so good on Kerr's resume - best record ever...worst record ever.
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

    Bench User Page has my most wanted and trade lists for 2011/12 Topps

    wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

    Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •