Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Go to anglinomics's ebay items

Always a bride's maid, never a bride.

The Beard enters this game trailing only Wilt Chamberlain for the most points through 15 team games in a single season. James Harden's 38.4 PPG are currently on pace to tie Chamberlain for the third-highest scoring average in NBA history. Should Harden average "only" 35 PPG for the 2019-20 season, he would join Chamberlain as the only players to average 35 PPG on multiple occasions, per ESPN Stats & Info.

Got to love them stats, but let's adjust for the three point shot and see where things lay.
    Last edited by anglinomics; 11-22-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

The man credited with breaking professional basketball’s color barrier has died.
    The University of Utah announced on Thursday that Wataru "Wat" Misaka died at 95 years old in Salt Lake City on Wednesday.
    Misaka played for Utah on their 1944 NCAA championship team and 1947 NIT championship team that defeated Adolph Rupp’s Kentucky Wildcats before being selected by the New York Knicks with the 61st pick of the Basketball Association of America draft. The BAA would go on to merge with the NBA in 1949.
    "We are saddened to learn of the passing of Wat Misaka," Utah athletic director Mark Harlan said in a statement. "He was a part of the Utah teams that won national championships in the 1940s, but Wat was bigger than the game of basketball, blazing trails into places nobody of his descent had gone before. He was such a kind and thoughtful man and will be missed by so many.”
    Wasaka played just three games and scored seven points for the Knicks. But those three games marked the first played by a non-white player at pro basketball’s highest level.

Yahoo news

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by anglinomics View Post
    The man credited with breaking professional basketball’s color barrier has died.
    The University of Utah announced on Thursday that Wataru "Wat" Misaka died at 95 years old in Salt Lake City on Wednesday.
    Misaka played for Utah on their 1944 NCAA championship team and 1947 NIT championship team that defeated Adolph Rupp’s Kentucky Wildcats before being selected by the New York Knicks with the 61st pick of the Basketball Association of America draft. The BAA would go on to merge with the NBA in 1949.
    "We are saddened to learn of the passing of Wat Misaka," Utah athletic director Mark Harlan said in a statement. "He was a part of the Utah teams that won national championships in the 1940s, but Wat was bigger than the game of basketball, blazing trails into places nobody of his descent had gone before. He was such a kind and thoughtful man and will be missed by so many.”
    Wasaka played just three games and scored seven points for the Knicks. But those three games marked the first played by a non-white player at pro basketball’s highest level.

Yahoo news
    I saw that the other day - had no idea who he was in historical context. Won't be mentioned in the same breath as Jackie Robinson (although who truly could be), but still a pioneer in his own right!!
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

Bench User Page has my most wanted and trade lists for 2011/12 Topps

wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

here is an unbreakable record.

Doncic needed just 88 games to reach 2,000 points, 500 rebounds and 500 assists, which is the second-fewest games in NBA history needed to reach those marks behind only Oscar Robertson's 66 games. On Sunday, Doncic recorded his second career 40-point, 10-assist game, joining LeBron James (three) as the only players with multiple such games before turning 21. That is just the beginning of what Luka has accomplished this season; Doncic is averaging a 30-point triple-double over his past 15 games, tied with Michael Jordan for the fourth-longest span in NBA history. Oscar Robertson claims the record at 454 games. No really.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

here is an unbreakable record.

Doncic needed just 88 games to reach 2,000 points, 500 rebounds and 500 assists, which is the second-fewest games in NBA history needed to reach those marks behind only Oscar Robertson's 66 games. On Sunday, Doncic recorded his second career 40-point, 10-assist game, joining LeBron James (three) as the only players with multiple such games before turning 21. That is just the beginning of what Luka has accomplished this season; Doncic is averaging a 30-point triple-double over his past 15 games, tied with Michael Jordan for the fourth-longest span in NBA history. Oscar Robertson claims the record at 454 games. No really.
    I heard some of this on the radio the other day -- the one that caught my attention is that Doncic has the same number of rebounds through 88 games as Yao Ming did. That is crazy. And Oscars triple double average for what amounts to 5+ seasons is also crazy - would be curious where Michael Westbrook is on that list - seems like he has averaged a triple double for the past 2 or 3 years.

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by katester44 View Post
    I heard some of this on the radio the other day -- the one that caught my attention is that Doncic has the same number of rebounds through 88 games as Yao Ming did. That is crazy. And Oscars triple double average for what amounts to 5+ seasons is also crazy - would be curious where Michael Westbrook is on that list - seems like he has averaged a triple double for the past 2 or 3 years.
    Westbrook might not get his season triple double playing with Harden. But his averages may be high enough that he could ride it out for awhile.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Westbrook might not get his season triple double playing with Harden. But his averages may be high enough that he could ride it out for awhile.
    True - the Rockets play a little different style than the Thunder did - and it all runs through Harden.

Missed the part about it being a 30 point average for the triple double - I don't think Westbrooks PPG is high enough. Thought he averaged in the 28-29 point range the past couple years.

Should be interesting to see how the folks at the Smoothie King Center react to AD coming home tonight. I personally thought his exit was classless, especially the "that's all folks" shirt that he wore on the bench for his last home game.

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

After a 17-2 start to their season, the Lakers kicked off December with a loss to the Mavs. Very curious to see how the season plays out for them, since they are one of the older teams in the league. They aren't blowing people out and AD and Lebron are logging a lot of minutes already. With load management as a thing now, surprised they aren't sitting AD/Lebron for extended minutes or just alternating the games they play.
    They also had one of, if not THE, easiest schedule to open the year - now they start playing tougher teams.

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

We all know how bad officiating is in every sport, but the NBA has taken it to new levels over the past two nights.

The Harden dunk against the Spurs that spun out of the bottom of the net and the refs completely blew it by saying it was a missed shot.

The LeBron walk/carry/double dribble last night against the Jazz - that was unbelievable that it could be missed, especially with a ref 15 feet away.

What needs to happen for those calls to be reviewable??? If not calls like that, why even have the review process? There was another one in the Sixers game against the Knicks earlier this week, that was a blatant goal tend, and the refs wouldn't let the Sixers challenge it.

Not sure if the Lebron or Sixers call would have affected the outcome, but the Rockets ended up losing in 2OT, those 2 points could have been a difference maker......

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

It seems like standards have lowered over the years. When is the last time a player got called for palming the ball. James Harden went for 24 of 24 free throws this week. But it's James harden. Would a journeyman player even get the calls. The stars always get to the line, even with some ridiculaous looking plays.

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Give credit where credit is due

Tuesday night, James Harden scored 50 points. (52 if you watch the tape). In terms of raw volume, 50 points is very good. But how did he get there? Harden went 11-of-38 from the field. 32.4% across 38 attempts is very bad.Harden went 4-of-20 from deep. 20.0% across 20 attempts is very, very bad. Harden went 24-of-24 from the line. 100.0% across 24 attempts is positively unconscious.

Harden needed 38 field goal attempts and 24 free throw attempts to produce 50 points. Put that line into the TS% formula and you get this:

50/2 x (38 + .44 x 24)

Resulting in a one-game TS% of 51.5%.

Meaning: Harden was atrocious from the field, but his perfection from the line somewhat balanced it out. Not only the fact that Harden was 100.0% from the line, but it was equally important that he posted a high volume of free throw attempts.

A 51.5% TS% is still well below the current league average of 55.9%. A 58.0 TS% is very good. Anything over 60.0% is elite. Thankfully, Harden's TS% for the year is a supernatural 62.9%. Harden's 62.9 TS% is 15th in the NBA. Mo Wagner leads the league with a 70.8% TS%. But Wagner's only averaging 9.5 combined field goal and free throw attempts per game. Harden is averaging 39.7 combined attempts.

Result: Harden's going to have a bigger net positive effect on your team's bottom line.

The formula is not obvious. You would think the .44 factor would vary by player. I think that is the overall value when combing the 1,2, and 3 point shat. I would have never thought this of Harden as it seems like he is just a ball hog.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Tuesday night, James Harden scored 50 points. (52 if you watch the tape). In terms of raw volume, 50 points is very good. But how did he get there? Harden went 11-of-38 from the field. 32.4% across 38 attempts is very bad.Harden went 4-of-20 from deep. 20.0% across 20 attempts is very, very bad. Harden went 24-of-24 from the line. 100.0% across 24 attempts is positively unconscious.

Harden needed 38 field goal attempts and 24 free throw attempts to produce 50 points. Put that line into the TS% formula and you get this:

50/2 x (38 + .44 x 24)

Resulting in a one-game TS% of 51.5%.

Meaning: Harden was atrocious from the field, but his perfection from the line somewhat balanced it out. Not only the fact that Harden was 100.0% from the line, but it was equally important that he posted a high volume of free throw attempts.

A 51.5% TS% is still well below the current league average of 55.9%. A 58.0 TS% is very good. Anything over 60.0% is elite. Thankfully, Harden's TS% for the year is a supernatural 62.9%. Harden's 62.9 TS% is 15th in the NBA. Mo Wagner leads the league with a 70.8% TS%. But Wagner's only averaging 9.5 combined field goal and free throw attempts per game. Harden is averaging 39.7 combined attempts.

Result: Harden's going to have a bigger net positive effect on your team's bottom line.

The formula is not obvious. You would think the .44 factor would vary by player. I think that is the overall value when combing the 1,2, and 3 point shat. I would have never thought this of Harden as it seems like he is just a ball hog.
    I think your last statement is the truest of all - he is a ball hog. To get 24 FT attempts in a game - logic would say he took an additional 12 shots. He does get 8 or 9 assists a game, but those seem to be the only 8 or 9 possessions a game that he doesn't hoist up a shot. And I would bet that of those 8 or 9 assists, half are just lobs when he penetrates into the lane and throws it up for Capella. Is he talented, yes. Is he fun to watch, no. Just like always, in the playoffs, the refs will start calling all his push offs and lowering of the shoulder and he won't be as effective.

In other news - I may have been to quick to judge Carmelo in Portland. He seems to be fitting in quite nicely, after watching a couple of games, their offense is tailor made for him. There is zero ball movement and it is basically all isolation, which is exactly what he wants.

Kirby Puckett havelist:

Bench Bucks
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

Quote Originally Posted by katester44 View Post
    I think your last statement is the truest of all - he is a ball hog. To get 24 FT attempts in a game - logic would say he took an additional 12 shots. He does get 8 or 9 assists a game, but those seem to be the only 8 or 9 possessions a game that he doesn't hoist up a shot. And I would bet that of those 8 or 9 assists, half are just lobs when he penetrates into the lane and throws it up for Capella. Is he talented, yes. Is he fun to watch, no. Just like always, in the playoffs, the refs will start calling all his push offs and lowering of the shoulder and he won't be as effective.

In other news - I may have been to quick to judge Carmelo in Portland. He seems to be fitting in quite nicely, after watching a couple of games, their offense is tailor made for him. There is zero ball movement and it is basically all isolation, which is exactly what he wants.
    If he wasn't James Harden, he wouldn't get so many free throws. I've seen many three point attempts were he lunges forward and gets a rediculous call. And of course he gets three free thow attempts from them. There is no comparison for scoring records. I think the three point shot has outlived it's usefulness. It's changed the game so much, that you have two players standing on the line each play waiting for a pass.

Bench Bucks
    Blog Entries
    Bench Points
    Trader Rating

If he wasn't James Harden, he wouldn't get so many free throws. I've seen many three point attempts were he lunges forward and gets a rediculous call. And of course he gets three free thow attempts from them. There is no comparison for scoring records. I think the three point shot has outlived it's usefulness. It's changed the game so much, that you have two players standing on the line each play waiting for a pass.
    Personally, I love the 3 ball, it feels like it has opened up the game. The days of everything bogged down around the lane with a boat anchor big man clogging things up are much more infrequent now. If they could get rid of the flopping and the kicking the leg out to draw contact on jumpers and just overall bad officiating, the game would be even better.

First coaching casualty of the season, apparently 4 wins is good enough for Steve Kerr to keep his job in Golden State, but not good enough for David Fizdale to keep his with the Knicks. At least the Sixers had a plan for their constant years of stinking up the joint - not sure if I see a Process in the works at Madison Square!

Kirby Puckett havelist: