Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: 60 Years of Twins Baseball

  1. #1

    60 Years of Twins Baseball

    Hard to believe, but the Minnesota Twins are going into their age 60 season. I thought it would be fun to come up with an all-time roster (60 man) and see who had the 60 best hitting and pitching seasons. I am using stats from Retrosheet.org, and assigning a MVP type scoring system to each player. The individual seasons will count towards each season and their career numbers, with MN, will count towards the all time Twins team. I figure it will take some time, but if I do one season a day, by the end it will almost be time for Spring training games to start!

    Got through 1962 so far and here are the best for those seasons. Keep in mind, this is for all around season, and is clearly up for debate

    Hitters
    1961: Bob Allison 420/475 possible points
    1962: Rich Rollins 296/342 possible points (in 62 they only used 18 position players as apposed to 25 in 1961, therefore the possible points were lower)

    Pitchers
    1961:Pedro Ramos 423/468 possible points
    1962:Jim Kaat 410/468 possible points

    It's funny to see Ramos leading the team in 1961 because he lost 20 games that year, so assuming a terrible lack of run support lead to his being 9 games under .500 for the year, but lead in a lot of team categories.
    "Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us"Kirby Puckett at his retirement speech July 16th 1996

    Kirby Puckett Haves 301/2363 12.73 %

    Autograph's of Players seen in person 121/969 12.48%

  2. #2
    World Series Champs for 1987 and 1991. Best regards, David
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Don't drink the Kool aid from anyone trying to rip you off with their high prices of unopen baseball products......or those people who say supply and demand......Parents is that all you learned in College?

  3. #3
    Looking forward to seeing this come together. The 1975 Topps Harmon Killebrew is one of the first cards I can remember in my collection as a kid. And than after that, all things Kirby Puckett. And most recently the stint that Phil Hughes had with the team.

    There will always be a soft spot in my heart for the Twins!
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

    wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

    Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by katester44 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing this come together. The 1975 Topps Harmon Killebrew is one of the first cards I can remember in my collection as a kid. And than after that, all things Kirby Puckett. And most recently the stint that Phil Hughes had with the team.

    There will always be a soft spot in my heart for the Twins!
    Amen brother! Visalia, California was the Twins single A team back in 60's up until about 2000....Tom Kelly was a manager of the Single A team and became the manager of the major league team down the road! Puckett played in Visalia....odd facts....7 other teams had their minor league players play on the Twins team!! Now days the Visalia Team is the Diamond backs! Twins moved from Visalia to Canada back in about 2000?
    Last edited by David K.; 01-01-2020 at 01:03 PM.
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Don't drink the Kool aid from anyone trying to rip you off with their high prices of unopen baseball products......or those people who say supply and demand......Parents is that all you learned in College?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by David K. View Post
    Amen brother! Visalia, California was the Twins single A team back in 60's up until about 2000....Tom Kelly was a manager of the Single A team and became the manager of the major league team down the road! Puckett played in Visalia....odd facts....7 other teams had their minor league players play on the Twins team!! Now days the Visalia Team is the Diamond backs! Twins moved from Visalia to Canada back in about 2000?
    being born in Montana, I was not really into baseball until we moved to MN in June of 1980. Although I do remember having a 1976 Topps Tom Seaver rolled up and stuffed into the smoke stack of a toy train and my cousins living basically right behind Cobb Field, Home of the Billings Mustangs when they lived in the Magic city. Anyway I digress, my step dad bought us each a pack of 1980 topps cards from the local grocer, and put it on their tab! (yes I am old!) First card I remember getting was a Don Money, first Twins card was probably Roy Smalley or Mike Cubbage. First favorite player was John Castino. Was not a big guy, but man he left everything he had on the field. Always thought he may have still been on the team in 87 had they not moved to the Metrodome, as that field probably did a number on his already bad back. His last game was in CA a day after Dave Kingman found the drainage hole in the dome's roof. Also around that same time Jim Eisenreich had his issues over take him so a young guy named Puckett came up to replaced one of them on the roster. A late cab ride and 86 bucks later he made his debut in LA. will never forget that summer and the excitement of actually having a team in the race. Jamie Quirk changed that with 3 games left and everytime I see one of his cards, I laugh...then cry a little! After Puck retired and my new fav player became Chuck Knoblauch, then he fell apart I was hesitant to name a favorite cause it's seemed as I was jinxing them. Although Jacque Jones, Torii, Morneau and Dozier all were awesome.

    It will definitely bring back some names we haven't heard for awhile, and some memories for all of us.
    Living in Wisconsin I get a ton of crap for my football team, but I can give it right back cause the Twins have 2 more titles than the Brewers do!
    "Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us"Kirby Puckett at his retirement speech July 16th 1996

    Kirby Puckett Haves 301/2363 12.73 %

    Autograph's of Players seen in person 121/969 12.48%

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbyfan34 View Post
    being born in Montana, I was not really into baseball until we moved to MN in June of 1980. Although I do remember having a 1976 Topps Tom Seaver rolled up and stuffed into the smoke stack of a toy train and my cousins living basically right behind Cobb Field, Home of the Billings Mustangs when they lived in the Magic city. Anyway I digress, my step dad bought us each a pack of 1980 topps cards from the local grocer, and put it on their tab! (yes I am old!) First card I remember getting was a Don Money, first Twins card was probably Roy Smalley or Mike Cubbage. First favorite player was John Castino. Was not a big guy, but man he left everything he had on the field. Always thought he may have still been on the team in 87 had they not moved to the Metrodome, as that field probably did a number on his already bad back. His last game was in CA a day after Dave Kingman found the drainage hole in the dome's roof. Also around that same time Jim Eisenreich had his issues over take him so a young guy named Puckett came up to replaced one of them on the roster. A late cab ride and 86 bucks later he made his debut in LA. will never forget that summer and the excitement of actually having a team in the race. Jamie Quirk changed that with 3 games left and everytime I see one of his cards, I laugh...then cry a little! After Puck retired and my new fav player became Chuck Knoblauch, then he fell apart I was hesitant to name a favorite cause it's seemed as I was jinxing them. Although Jacque Jones, Torii, Morneau and Dozier all were awesome.

    It will definitely bring back some names we haven't heard for awhile, and some memories for all of us.
    Living in Wisconsin I get a ton of crap for my football team, but I can give it right back cause the Twins have 2 more titles than the Brewers do!
    We all have our memories....good and bad..People laugh....you're a Twinklies Fan......Even through you lived your entire life in California! I would proudly wear my road hat to all the Twins game on the West Coast!! In the McAfee Stadium for the A's....saw a game with about three to four hundred Twins! Felt great to see so many of them! Hoping their winning ways continue!
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Don't drink the Kool aid from anyone trying to rip you off with their high prices of unopen baseball products......or those people who say supply and demand......Parents is that all you learned in College?

  7. #7
    Never saw Bert Blyleven pitch, but a HOFer right there.....Joe Mauer was always a stud. Tony Oliva another great of the game. Kirby was my intro to the Twins, as I was born in 1981....he was a beast, what a player!
    "For nothing will be impossible for God" ~ Luke 1:37

  8. #8
    Or Jack Morris coming home to play for the Twins and winning the 7th game of World Series !...Or the Memories of him talking to his son's after winning....are you happy! From last place the year before to first!
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Don't drink the Kool aid from anyone trying to rip you off with their high prices of unopen baseball products......or those people who say supply and demand......Parents is that all you learned in College?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by KCLJ520 View Post
    Never saw Bert Blyleven pitch, but a HOFer right there.....Joe Mauer was always a stud. Tony Oliva another great of the game. Kirby was my intro to the Twins, as I was born in 1981....he was a beast, what a player!

    Quote Originally Posted by David K. View Post
    Or Jack Morris coming home to play for the Twins and winning the 7th game of World Series !...Or the Memories of him talking to his son's after winning....are you happy! From last place the year before to first!
    Love that 7th game with Jack Morris and Pucketts walk off HR in game 6 - plus the catch flying into the wall.

    I have been to Minnesota once in my life, but have probably seen more Twins games than a kid from Philly should have been able to. Only teams I would think I have seen more are the Phillies, Orioles and Indians.
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

    wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

    Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by katester44 View Post
    Love that 7th game with Jack Morris and Pucketts walk off HR in game 6 - plus the catch flying into the wall.

    I have been to Minnesota once in my life, but have probably seen more Twins games than a kid from Philly should have been able to. Only teams I would think I have seen more are the Phillies, Orioles and Indians.
    I'll always think of Puckett making the catch....like a bug hitting a car window! Amazing catch or Bush in extra innings gets the hit that wins it for Morris! Or before that the double by Dan Gladden (from Valley) ...were he hustles for a double!
    Last edited by David K.; 01-08-2020 at 10:41 PM.
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Don't drink the Kool aid from anyone trying to rip you off with their high prices of unopen baseball products......or those people who say supply and demand......Parents is that all you learned in College?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by David K. View Post
    I'll always think of Puckett making the catch....like a bug hitting a car window! Amazing catch or Bush in extra innings gets the hit that wins it for Morris! Or before that the double by Dan Gladden (from Valley) ...were he hustles for a double!
    Gene Larkin got that game winning hit in Game 7. That whole Series was amazing. And as a perspective from a MN kid, 1987 was more special cause it was so unexpected. 1991 the team was better, and I remember watching every pitch of every game in 91, with my aunt and uncle. My Uncle was so caught up in the games we didn't eat until after the games ended, which usually meant 1030 or later cause we were in Montana. And I also remember calling my brother on his birthday (Oct 23) and watching game 4 while the blizzard that would hit the Twin Cities on Halloween was coming out of the rockies and hitting Bridger, Red Lodge and Billings something fierce.

    Was once asked if I would prefer long stretches of bad years with a random WS win thrown in or making the playoffs every year but not winning it all... At the time it would be the WS win, now I just want to beat the Yankees one time in playoffs.

    Could go on and on with memories...love the team and the game
    "Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us"Kirby Puckett at his retirement speech July 16th 1996

    Kirby Puckett Haves 301/2363 12.73 %

    Autograph's of Players seen in person 121/969 12.48%

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbyfan34 View Post
    Gene Larkin got that game winning hit in Game 7. That whole Series was amazing. And as a perspective from a MN kid, 1987 was more special cause it was so unexpected. 1991 the team was better, and I remember watching every pitch of every game in 91, with my aunt and uncle. My Uncle was so caught up in the games we didn't eat until after the games ended, which usually meant 1030 or later cause we were in Montana. And I also remember calling my brother on his birthday (Oct 23) and watching game 4 while the blizzard that would hit the Twin Cities on Halloween was coming out of the rockies and hitting Bridger, Red Lodge and Billings something fierce.

    Was once asked if I would prefer long stretches of bad years with a random WS win thrown in or making the playoffs every year but not winning it all... At the time it would be the WS win, now I just want to beat the Yankees one time in playoffs.

    Could go on and on with memories...love the team and the game
    We play them neck and in the regular season...but get wide out in the playoffs!
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Don't drink the Kool aid from anyone trying to rip you off with their high prices of unopen baseball products......or those people who say supply and demand......Parents is that all you learned in College?

  13. #13
    Got the best of the 60's hitters done. The top 10 hitter for the Twins in the 1960 are:
    1. Tony Oliva: Led the team in 3 categories Doubles, Caught Stealing and batting average
    2. Bob Allison Led the team in nothing, but was an all around good player
    3. Harmon Killebrew: Led team in almost every category including Games, At bats, Runs, Hits, Home Runs, RBI, Walks, Intentional Walks, Strikeouts, Sac Flys, and Double Plays
    4. Zolio Versalles Led team in 3 baggers
    5. Earl Battey Probably the greatest catcher in team history
    6. Rich Rollins Led team in Sac Hits
    7. Jimmy Hall
    8. Cesar Tovar Led team in Hit by Pitch...Ouch!
    9 Don Mincher
    10. Lenny Green


    the best offensive seasons of the 60's belonged to
    1961 Bob Allison
    1962 Rich Rollins
    1963 Bob Allison
    1964 Tony Oliva
    1965 Zolio Versalles
    1966 Tony Oliva
    1967 Cesar Tovar
    1968 Tony Oliva
    1969 Leo Cardenas

    its interesting that Zolio had the best all around season in his MVP year of 65 but Killebrew did not in his MVP season of 1969

    Of course this is all subject to your opinion, and this is what I came up with.

    60's pitchers are next!
    "Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us"Kirby Puckett at his retirement speech July 16th 1996

    Kirby Puckett Haves 301/2363 12.73 %

    Autograph's of Players seen in person 121/969 12.48%

  14. #14
    I don't know about that 69' season looking at baseball reference for that season Killebrew crushed Cardenas head to head, just saying
    set builder ...need SP's

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbyfan34 View Post
    Gene Larkin got that game winning hit in Game 7. That whole Series was amazing. And as a perspective from a MN kid, 1987 was more special cause it was so unexpected. 1991 the team was better, and I remember watching every pitch of every game in 91, with my aunt and uncle. My Uncle was so caught up in the games we didn't eat until after the games ended, which usually meant 1030 or later cause we were in Montana. And I also remember calling my brother on his birthday (Oct 23) and watching game 4 while the blizzard that would hit the Twin Cities on Halloween was coming out of the rockies and hitting Bridger, Red Lodge and Billings something fierce.

    Was once asked if I would prefer long stretches of bad years with a random WS win thrown in or making the playoffs every year but not winning it all... At the time it would be the WS win, now I just want to beat the Yankees one time in playoffs.

    Could go on and on with memories...love the team and the game
    My school of thought is with yours. I would rather be dead last for 9 years out of 10, but in the 10th year win the World Series, than finish 1st in the division for 10 straight years but never win a World Series. I don't care what anyone says - winning a WS is better than being consistently good.
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

    wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

    Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •