Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2020 RIP Thread

Recently BoB Oliver passed away at age 77. I didn’t see the cause. However, he was an original Royal and played OF/1B for 10 years in the majors. His son, Darren Oliver, pitched in the majors for 20 seasons.

Harold Reid, bass singer for The Satler Brothers died at age 80. I was never into country music but this group put out so much great music. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo374 View Post
    Recently BoB Oliver passed away at age 77. I didn’t see the cause. However, he was an original Royal and played OF/1B for 10 years in the majors. His son, Darren Oliver, pitched in the majors for 20 seasons.
    Rest in Peace Bob Oliver! Best regards, David
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Don't drink the Kool aid from anyone trying to rip you off with their high prices of unopen baseball products......or those people who say supply and demand......Parents is that all you learned in College?

Steve Dalkowski passed away.......he was 80 and was the inspiration for " Bull Durham". Class C Stockton in 1960. He struck out 262 and walked 262 in 170 innings....could never get control of his throws.......threw over 100 mph....some said even 125 mph...Ted Williams said......Fastest I ever saw! Rest in Peace Steve Dalkowski!
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. Don't drink the Kool aid from anyone trying to rip you off with their high prices of unopen baseball products......or those people who say supply and demand......Parents is that all you learned in College?

Quote Originally Posted by David K. View Post
    Steve Dalkowski passed away.......he was 80 and was the inspiration for " Bull Durham". Class C Stockton in 1960. He struck out 262 and walked 262 in 170 innings....could never get control of his throws.......threw over 100 mph....some said even 125 mph...Ted Williams said......Fastest I ever saw! Rest in Peace Steve Dalkowski!
    I was shocked to see that Dalkowski was only 80 years old. For some reason I thought he was someone from back in the 1930s and 40s and was long dieceased. It is being reported that he died from complications of the Coronavirus but also had serious medical issues on top of that.

Talk about the power of old cards. When Jay mentioned Bob Oliver died I immediately pictured one of his old cards........in this case his 1974 Topps. But when he mentioned his son pitching in the majors for 20 years, I had no idea who he was!!! I had heard the name but I thought he was a catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicMetal View Post
    I was shocked to see that Dalkowski was only 80 years old. For some reason I thought he was someone from back in the 1930s and 40s and was long dieceased. It is being reported that he died from complications of the Coronavirus but also had serious medical issues on top of that.

Talk about the power of old cards. When Jay mentioned Bob Oliver died I immediately pictured one of his old cards........in this case his 1974 Topps. But when he mentioned his son pitching in the majors for 20 years, I had no idea who he was!!! I had heard the name but I thought he was a catcher.
    Its funny how a name can conjure up different connections to different people. I believe you're think of Joe Oliver, catcher for about a decade primarily with Cincinnati. Darren was a left-handed starter early in his career but transitioned to the bullpen after about ten years. He ended up playing for nine different teams including three stints with Texas.

Man, I miss baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo374 View Post
    Man, I miss baseball.
    I with you bro........
    mikekestner.com/mm86

Would like to make trades worthy of the BB mailer........Trying to avoid PWE trades......

RIP Don Shula -- HOF coach of the Miami Dolphins. The last undefeated team in NFL history.
    Building Topps sets from 1969 to the present. Always looking for Puckett cards.

wantlists updated, new player tradelists added.
    http://www.katester44.webs.com/

Kirby Puckett havelist:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...sH&hl=en#gid=0

Quote Originally Posted by katester44 View Post
    RIP Don Shula -- HOF coach of the Miami Dolphins. The last undefeated team in NFL history.
    That's pretty sad..........Didn't know he was 90 but haven't seen him in public for awhile.......
    mikekestner.com/mm86

Would like to make trades worthy of the BB mailer........Trying to avoid PWE trades......

Quote Originally Posted by katester44 View Post
    Rest in Peace Don Shula! Best regards, David

I did not know that Shula played in the NFL as a DB in the 1950s until I read Art Donovan's hilarious book "Fatso". An astounding fact about Shula was he only had 2 losing seasons in 33 years. That will never be duplicated.

It is also impressive that he successffully coached the run oriented Dolphins of the 1970s and then coached the Dan Marino Dolphins of the 1980s that were historically prolific passing teams.

Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicMetal View Post
    I did not know that Shula played in the NFL as a DB in the 1950s until I read Art Donovan's hilarious book "Fatso". An astounding fact about Shula was he only had 2 losing seasons in 33 years. That will never be duplicated.

It is also impressive that he successffully coached the run oriented Dolphins of the 1970s and then coached the Dan Marino Dolphins of the 1980s that were historically prolific passing teams.
    when he played for the browns he and chuck noll were the message boys for paul brown they both played guard and every other play one of them would come in with the play
    GO STEELERS GO

DICK GROAT, BILL MAZAROSKI AND
    CONNIE HAWKINS FAN

looking for 72, topps football

RIP Mr Fatboycards
    You may have left us way to early but you will never be forgoten

I just read that he coached Unitas, Bob Griese, and Dan Marino, 3 HoF QBs! I forgot that he got his start with the Colts!
    "For nothing will be impossible for God" ~ Luke 1:37

Quote Originally Posted by chieftazmisty View Post
    when he played for the browns he and chuck noll were the message boys for paul brown they both played guard and every other play one of them would come in with the play
    So that's why both of them later became coaches! Best regards, David

Little Richard has passed away at age 87. Best regards, David