Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Manager Issues

jaydub - I might have to agree with you. We've got to get someone who can deal with this problem.
    I know it would probably have to pay for a service, but, we really can't go on like this for much longer.
    Any thoughts on hiring someone?
    I use Beckett pricing and trade Book for Book (give or take).
    Bobby813@aol.com
    [/COLOR]
    Mattingly count 2184//8721 25% (plus 92 unlisted)
    343 Relics, 53 Autographs and 589 Searial Numbered

Mattingly Scans
    Mattingly wants
    My Home Page
    Check out my Custom Shadow Boxes
    Shadow Boxes

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby813 View Post
    jaydub - I might have to agree with you. We've got to get someone who can deal with this problem.
    I know it would probably have to pay for a service, but, we really can't go on like this for much longer.
    From the standpoint of someone who works in this space every day, there's really two pieces here to consider. There is the actual running forum site in Vbulletin, in this case running 4.2.x release and with custom code for the trade manager. The other piece is the actual site hosting which is another thing all together.

My take is that the hosting piece is probably fine as the site as far as I can tell has been running OK performance wise. I don't know who the site is hosted with, how much it costs, what the server resources are and server resource usage.

That leaves the site itself, or the 'code' side of things. While hosting companies can usually manage the server hardware (or virtual servers), operating system stuff, database servers, mail routing, backups, etc., it's usually up to the client to manage their application, which for the bench is the vbulletin forum software.

So since the current problem is the upgrade + the custom code, the first thing to address is that. And the first thing to do in order to get to work on that is to get a version of the site (vbulletin code + database dump) able to be run on a testing server on the hosting platform and/or on the local development machine of the person who is going to try and help resolve this problem. Until that step is taken, nothing is going to happen to move this forward.

I've offered to help but I'm not going to jump on facebook (not an active user) and try to cold call someone out of the blue when this site already has site management that should be able to facilitate the efforts to get these issues resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydub View Post
    Jesus H I'm starting to think The Bench needs to rethink how it manages the site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby813 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydub View Post
    I've offered to help but I'm not going to jump on facebook (not an active user) and try to cold call someone out of the blue when this site already has site management that should be able to facilitate the efforts to get these issues resolved.
    Pete (Champs96ws) owns, operates, and pays for this website out of his own funds. He has since the site started. John and I are the managers for the site (volunteers) and took over when the vast majority of the managers moved on to other hobbies a number of years ago.

Jaydub-send me a PM with your email information and I will pass it along to Pete through FB messenger.
    Collecting Yankee First Basemen Tino Martinez and Mark Teixeira

NO PWE PLEASE!!!

Can anyone say beer cans, bubble gum, and duct tape?
    mikekestner.com/mm86

Would like to make trades worthy of the BB mailer........Trying to avoid PWE trades......

Jaydub-got your PM and sent your info on to Pete. Thanks for the offer of help!
    Collecting Yankee First Basemen Tino Martinez and Mark Teixeira

NO PWE PLEASE!!!

Go to gwynn_fan92071's ebay items

If there was an update and it's causing the problem, should they fix it? Bob
    Looking for ...
    1 Panini Prizm Gold Baseball cards #/10
    2. Tony Gwynn autos.
    3.Chris Paddack Autos, relics, #<100
    4. Fernando Tatis Jr Autos, relics, #<100
    5. HOF autos

Trade Sites https://sportlots.com/dealers/?dealer=gwynnfan
    http://www.freewebs.com/gwynn_fan/
    http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k33/gwynn_fan/

Quote Originally Posted by gwynn_fan View Post
    If there was an update and it's causing the problem, should they fix it? Bob
    While I don't know 100% how the vbulletin software is updated vis a vis the site hosting, it's been explained to me that the trade manager code is CUSTOM code layered on top of vbulletin and as such, any updates from vbulletin or hosting folks would not have any way of knowing or fixing how said custom code was written.

Custom code is the nightmare that all web developers have to deal with as time goes on and versions change, team member leave, etc.

so RIP trade manager?
    Quambomb
    http://www.freewebs.com/quambomb <-Click "continue to freewebs" if needed
    Discloser: I can be a picky trader

Player Collections: Miguel Sano, Jose Berrios, L. Severino, F. Liriano, B. Revere, C. Gomez, & A. Chapman
    Set Collecting Needs: '12 Topps Heritage,'07 Bowman Heritage,'06 Flair Showcase,'07 A&G Flags of the World
    Always interested in MN Twins RCs, Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by quambomb View Post
    so RIP trade manager?
    I think it's on life support and jaydub is Dr. Oz...........
    mikekestner.com/mm86

Would like to make trades worthy of the BB mailer........Trying to avoid PWE trades......

So maybe a new Trade Manager as the old one is to much trouble to fix? Best regards, David
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. ..No longer buying anything on The Bench!

I know I am in the minority but I don't see a need for a trade manager any more. I just don't see the benefit of it. I made online trades for 15 years before joining The Bench and miraculously never had an issue with any of my trades. Since joining The bench, I have not had any issues in my trades either so for me it is a wash.

I find the message at the top of my page that says "Not Secure" in red to be more of a worry. It is just to the left of my address bar where a magnifying glass icon was located. This is the only site I visit that has that warning. Anyone else have this?

Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicMetal View Post
    I know I am in the minority but I don't see a need for a trade manager any more. I just don't see the benefit of it. I made online trades for 15 years before joining The Bench and miraculously never had an issue with any of my trades. Since joining The bench, I have not had any issues in my trades either so for me it is a wash.

I find the message at the top of my page that says "Not Secure" in red to be more of a worry. It is just to the left of my address bar where a magnifying glass icon was located. This is the only site I visit that has that warning. Anyone else have this?
    Yes, it's been that way for a long time now. I've started to branch out to other trade sites that don't have as many issues as the bench. The amount of traffic on this site is way down from years past because of all the issues. It probably won't be long before this site disappears.
    Brad Ziegler 344/649Wantlist Click Here
    RC's & Autos Of Mike Trout,Aaron Judge,Matt Olson,Matt Chapman,Ronald Acuna,Juan Soto, Jose Altuve,Khris Davis,Mookie Betts,Christian Yelich,Bryce Harper, Ramon Laureano,Vladimir Guerrero Jr.,Fernando Tatis Jr.,Pete Alonso,Anthony Rendon
    Football Shaquem Griffin & Alabama Crimson Tide players
    Boxing/MMA- Micky Ward, Gina Carano

I need it.....as dealing with 18 to 30 trades is a life saver for me...Best regards, David PS that warning has been their for many years.
    In Memory of Our friend and Bench moderator Randy Martin Aka fatboycards 1963 to 2011. ..No longer buying anything on The Bench!

I don't think we need to believe in the "End Times" for the bench..........This problem will probably be fixed in the future, it just couldn't have happened at a worse time than now, with all the virus crap........Pete is not hands on anymore so that poses its own set of issues........I concur with SymphonicMetal, I too traded many years before joining here and had no problems, I want to say that sending a padded mailer was $.60..........It's just that you got use to the ease of the TM that keeping track of deals now seem more time consuming.......
    mikekestner.com/mm86

I agree with you, David. When live is busy and baseball trades are busy its just an easy way to assure that things are done properly.
    Need Ripkens that I don't have (3,065 different Ripkens) , Joe Mauer, Killebrew, Feller, Twins refractors. I'll also consider better RCs
    2005 Zenith

Museum Inserts: 250/250 100%
    Prime Patches: 77/77 100% (all #'d to 150 or less) Overall collection includes: 29 different laundry tags,5 button holes,& 225 different autographs & auto variations.