1997 New Pinnacle Press PLates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akamikey2001

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I'm some what confussed with these press plates. Beckett lists 8 cards for Greg Maddux, 3 of them being plates. It states each card has 8 plates, four colors for front and 4 colors for back. I recently picked up 1997 New Pinnacle Press Plates #K2 KEEP Cyan back. On the backside of the card it says 1/1 but beckett lists print run at 8. So in theory there's 24 total 1/1's ? Why after so many years don't they list 29 total cards for maddux or i'm i missing something here? I understand some plates actually have a print run of 4 cards each for example topps milestones and those cards are listed correctly as print run 4.

Anyway.. Do i have a 1/1 or a 1/8 ? LOL. Anybody have any of these in your collection ? Were you aware any combination of four press plates from same card back then had a huge pay day if returned by a certain date?

1997 New Pinnacle #3
1997 New Pinnacle Artist's Proofs #3
1997 New Pinnacle Interleague Encounter #7 Maddux/ M.Vaughn
1997 New Pinnacle Keeping the Pace #2
1997 New Pinnacle Museum Collection #3
1997 New Pinnacle Press Plates #3 Print Run 8
1997 New Pinnacle Press Plates #I7A IE Print Run 8
1997 New Pinnacle Press Plates #K2 KEEP Print Run 8

Randomly inserted in packs at the rate of one in 1,250, this all-aluminum set consists of the Authentic Press Plate that transfers the ink to the cardboard for each individual card back and front. Each plate displays an authentication seal on the back along with the personal signature of Pinnacle Chairman and CEO, Jerry Meyer. Each card has eight press plates for each of the four colors used in printing the front and the back. All cards from both the regular sets as well as the insert sets were inserted into packs. A collector who put together any combination of the four press plates from the same card front or back could return the plates to Pinnacle by August 22, 1997 for a bounty of $35,000. A sliding reward scale was imposed with a $30,000 bounty for plates received by August 29, 1997, $25,000 for those received by September 5, 1997, and $20,000 for those received after September 5 but before December 31, 1997.

Pinnacle was always doing something out of the ordinary.......that's why they had to file for bankruptcy! My favorite contest...was to get every big bang card (16 in a set) with the same number!! Cards were serial to 600....Best regards, David PS if u did...u would get one box of every product they made.

The second part of the contest was to collect all 16 of the mirage big bang serial to 600 and return it to them...first one would get one box of every baseball product for that year. Best regards, David

I personally loved the Pinnacle product. I loved their inserts and the Dufex finish. Thought it was a much better product than Topps!

(No answer to your questions)

Last edited:
The way I look at it you have a 1/1 because all of the plates are different because of the color and the front/back. If you had a 1/8 I would suspect that they would be #'d 1/8, 2/8, 3/8, etc. Butch

Pinnacle was always doing something out of the ordinary.......that's why they had to file for bankruptcy! My favorite contest...was to get every big bang card (16 in a set) with the same number!! Cards were serial to 600....Best regards, David PS if u did...u would get one box of every product they made.

David, I wish they wouldn't of went bankrupt, as i was a fan of their technology on cards. The big bang sets were cool looking. How far did you get trying to obtain any of those sets to turn in? I bet that was a very difficult task before the mentioned date or being first one done.

I personally loved the Pinnacle product. I loved their inserts and the Dufex finish. Thought it was a much better product than Topps!

(No answer o your questions)

Rick - Yea, pinnacle was much better then topps. So many great ideas. Cards in a can, x-press metal works, mint coins and can't forget team pinnacle.

The way I look at it you have a 1/1 because all of the plates are different because of the color and the front/back. If you had a 1/8 I would suspect that they would be #'d 1/8, 2/8, 3/8, etc. Butch

I would have to agree it being a 1/1. It says 1/1 on the backside and all 8 plates are different. You would think after 20+ years beckett would correct that but i guess maybe nobody informed them of it?

I agree that Pinnacle was a good on the baseball products.....loved their big bang refractors....pinnacle performers outburst serial to the players home run total the year before!! I tried to make some suggestions to them.....their reply.....we have our own people working on new ideas....But thanks anyway....about a year later they filed for bankruptcy....Best regards, David

In the beginning...because of the low print number 600 (Donruss elite was 10,000 or 5,000)...so stores wanted an arm and leg for the big bang cards....one company wanted $70.00 for Tim Salmon big bang card................after a while the prices dropped like rocks on water! $4.00 to $6.00 for the Salmon.... Best regards, David